Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

12u pitching speed

What's on your mind?

by toner297 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:19 am

Was just wondering what is the avg fastball for a 12u pitcher. My dd is a first year 12u and we've clocked her at 46mph. Any tips
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:46 am

toner297 wrote:Was just wondering what is the avg fastball for a 12u pitcher. My dd is a first year 12u and we've clocked her at 46mph. Any tips

The speed sounds about right ... But my tip would be that if you want more replies to your query you should have said 10u playing up, 66mph and 6 pitches :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by toner297 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 am

I wish that where the case. I know she'll throw harder soon. But any tips on how to increase the speed at this point.she actually has 5 different pitches :D
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:03 am

Do a youtube search for Jaeger long toss. Same regimen works for windmill as well.
Mark H

by as the world turns » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:08 am

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by CheckWriter » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Another important chart to consider when DD is going to be pushed to achieve numbers:

http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/softball-injury-prevention.aspx

Gotta' keep trying ...
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 pm

While speed is critical, spin and changing speed is king. Most rec all- star pitchers are in the 45-53 range with some travel players showing higher. I always worry about young players with lots of pitches. The critical skill is to throw 2-3 pitches very well. Developing a rise-ball is also a critical skill for most but not all pitchers. It does seem that you need higher speeds ( 55 or so) to really have a great rise.
Moral to the story? Develop a couple of great pitches including a change.
McGee

by jjsqueeze » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:02 pm

repeat after me.....my 11 year old daughter does not really have 5 pitches....she has a fastball she throws to 5 locations.
If she has a good CU that she can throw for a strike on command and can locate her fastball then she is ahead of the game.
Please be the dad that encourages his DD to throw the correct spin for each pitch and not the dad that calls a low pitch a dropball and a high pitch a riseball. 2-3 good pitches is GREAT for a girl this age.
jjsqueeze

by DonnieS » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:29 pm

jjsqueeze wrote:repeat after me.....my 11 year old daughter does not really have 5 pitches....she has a fastball she throws to 5 locations.
If she has a good CU that she can throw for a strike on command and can locate her fastball then she is ahead of the game.
Please be the dad that encourages his DD to throw the correct spin for each pitch and not the dad that calls a low pitch a dropball and a high pitch a riseball. 2-3 good pitches is GREAT for a girl this age.

Some dads didnt do that - we knew she was throwing a high and inside with a little smoke. She and I would get a big laugh when people talked about 'the little blonde 10u with that riser'. We would never say anything otherwise because we knew people were practicing for a rise ball. The best pitch she had was a change up - that was money.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 am

I would encourage the kid to throw as many different pitches as she can. The different releases help to minimize over use injuries, as along as she isn't throwing year round and pitching more than one game per weekend when she is in season.

Limiting her to 2 pitches can lead to overusing the same muscles and joints.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions