Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

12u pitching speed

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:42 am

ScottyDont wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'd like to know who is clocking 12u's in the 60's ? You gotta be kidding me ! :lol: A few years ago we had a former DI hurler on our 23U who was hitting 63 and she was untouchable ... And who is the backstop you have catching this 12U dynamo ? Because at 63 she was bruising our catchers hands ... :roll:

The one I saw was at a showcase in NY (Top Prospects). Two separate guns.

Check out the 2020 list... https://sites.google.com/site/topprospe ... 14-combine

I see one pitcher on the 2020 list that broke 60 ... The rest of the Top Prospects were in the 50's ... Maybe if the OP stated " My 12U DD is a Top Prospect in the country ( Rae Rae et al ) , how fast should she be throwing ? " ;)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Pale Rider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:17 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
I see one pitcher on the 2020 list that broke 60 ... The rest of the Top Prospects were in the 50's ... Maybe if the OP stated " My 12U DD is a Top Prospect in the country ( Rae Rae et al ) , how fast should she be throwing ? " ;)

Speed...I used to work race weekends at Talladega as a renta cop, did it for fun basically, enoy(ed) NA$CAR...but not much anymore...I was there one day and some idiot was yacking about how slow NA$CAR was compared to NHRA Top fuel etc...I tried explaining it to the drunk that it was a different sport and not all about speed...

I finally told him OK, fine...lets put 43 Funny cars on the track for 500 miles and lets see how that s*&^ works out.... :shock:

Speed aint everything ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ScottyDont » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
ScottyDont wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'd like to know who is clocking 12u's in the 60's ? You gotta be kidding me ! :lol: A few years ago we had a former DI hurler on our 23U who was hitting 63 and she was untouchable ... And who is the backstop you have catching this 12U dynamo ? Because at 63 she was bruising our catchers hands ... :roll:

The one I saw was at a showcase in NY (Top Prospects). Two separate guns.

Check out the 2020 list... https://sites.google.com/site/topprospe ... 14-combine

It was not my intention to imply that all 12Us were throwing in the 60s. You pretty much flat-out stated that it was impossible, and that is absolutely not the case.

The fact that there were several others in the high 50s certainly should suggest that the top pitchers at that age are typically in that range.
ScottyDont

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 am

Pale Rider wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Speed...I used to work race weekends at Talladega as a renta cop, did it for fun basically, enoy(ed) NA$CAR...but not much anymore...I was there one day and some idiot was yacking about how slow NA$CAR was compared to NHRA Top fuel etc...I tried explaining it to the drunk that it was a different sport and not all about speed...

I finally told him OK, fine...lets put 43 Funny cars on the track for 500 miles and lets see how that s*&^ works out.... :shock:

Speed aint everything ;)

Agree 100% ... It is my belief that the 2 most important things are the ability to change speed and hit location ... The rest is 3rd
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by freebilly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:42 pm

50 didn't seem so fast when we came up to 12u in the fall, but it sure was fast when we saw it at 10u in spring.
freebilly

by Sam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:18 pm

We saw a kid throwing 58mph at 10u in 2000. We gunned her on a Stalker radar gun. She won three ASA National Championships and threw less than 5 total games in HS. She pitched way too much and injured her elbow to the point that she could no longer pitch at all.

Focus on building speed causes these injuries because the arm must get stronger in order to throw harder and throwing more pitches initially leads to making the arm stronger.

Limit the throwing, let her body grow naturally and enjoy watching your kid play.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:35 am

Was talking to a kid couple weeks ago from NorCal. She told me they went to LA and played 7 games with one pitcher. That pitcher threw 6 of 7 games. This was 14u! blew me away, and this is a top org! Never would of happened if my kid thats for sure.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by defense20 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Most I've seen around lately have been mid to upper 50's. Nothing in 60s that I've come across.
defense20

by Dark Angel Coach » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Some girls throw hard at an early age.
My DD team faced a girl at 10u that was probably throwing 56-58!
And my own Daughter clocked 60 several times at the end of the 12u season, she already turned 13.
She now throws 56-60 and she's a Senior in H.S.
So she never increased her speed but improved her control.
So yes some girls get the speed earlier than others.
And by their 14u year that's about as fast as they'll be maybe 2-4 mph more when they play College and work out on a regular basis.
Dark Angel Coach

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions