Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

12u pitching speed

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Sam wrote:I would encourage the kid to throw as many different pitches as she can. The different releases help to minimize over use injuries, as along as she isn't throwing year round and pitching more than one game per weekend when she is in season.

Limiting her to 2 pitches can lead to overusing the same muscles and joints.

Ditto what Sam said, and make one of her pitches a change-up - not much torque on the wrist/elbow/shoulder. Besides it being one of the most important pitches to master from 10u to wcws.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 am

DonnieS wrote:
Sam wrote:I would encourage the kid to throw as many different pitches as she can. The different releases help to minimize over use injuries, as along as she isn't throwing year round and pitching more than one game per weekend when she is in season.

Ditto what Sam said, and make one of her pitches a change-up - not much torque on the wrist/elbow/shoulder. Besides it being one of the most important pitches to master from 10u to wcws.

DS...Didnt Rae Rae throw 66 and have 15 pitches?;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:32 am

Pale Rider wrote:
DonnieS wrote:

DS...Didnt Rae Rae throw 66 and have 15 pitches?;)

PR, Rae Rae was in her own category, hitting over 60 at 8U even when there was krptonite in the area.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:30 pm

DonnieS wrote:

PR, Rae Rae was in her own category, hitting over 60 at 8U even when there was krptonite in the area.

Rae Rae was an enigma of physics....
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 pm

McGee wrote:While speed is critical, spin and changing speed is king. .

I'd rank the factors this way.

1. command/location
2. spin
3. change of speed
4. speed, but this factor makes all the other factors more effective
Mark H

by Pale Rider » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:19 am

Mark in 12U we did play a team with a girl who *may* have thrown 62...but when she DID throw hard...it was in the dirt, in the backstop...
I agree with your assessment...
Once they leave 14U Speed is either there or its not...
An omnipotent 14U kid in smaller associations unless she improves with age will get hit so hard in really competitive tourneys they should call the police for child abuse

IMHO 16U is where pitchers who wont be moving on as pitchers, get their 'pink slips'...
Reality sets in ...very hard reality.
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ScottyDont » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Kids hitting 60 at 12U are a rarity. Kids who throw 55 are pretty common, though. 46 is on the low side for an 11 year old, but command and change up are more important at that age anyway.

I saw a 12U hit 63 in a Futures Showcase a few weeks back. She was about 5'10" and had a dozen college coaches lined up watching her by the time she threw her last pitch. Next one on the chart hit 59. Most of the girls were in the 52-57 range.
ScottyDont

by CheckWriter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Instead of trying to get anoth 10 mph out of her to catch up with THAT girl the college coaches are watching, why don't you let her play another sport?

http://highschoolsportsstuff.areavoices.com/2015/01/20/one-sport-athletes/
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:25 am

I'd like to know who is clocking 12u's in the 60's ? You gotta be kidding me ! :lol: A few years ago we had a former DI hurler on our 23U who was hitting 63 and she was untouchable ... And who is the backstop you have catching this 12U dynamo ? Because at 63 she was bruising our catchers hands ... :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by ScottyDont » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:52 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'd like to know who is clocking 12u's in the 60's ? You gotta be kidding me ! :lol: A few years ago we had a former DI hurler on our 23U who was hitting 63 and she was untouchable ... And who is the backstop you have catching this 12U dynamo ? Because at 63 she was bruising our catchers hands ... :roll:

The one I saw was at a showcase in NY (Top Prospects). Two separate guns.

Check out the 2020 list... https://sites.google.com/site/topprospe ... 14-combine
ScottyDont

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions