Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

13 yr old becomes youngest ever to verbal to UCLA

What's on your mind?

by Diesels_dad » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:32 am

Both sides need to be open to the possibility that a blanket statement about Right and Wrong may or may not apply….. There are student/athletes that excel and should be allowed to be the best they can be. There are parents that work twice as hard developing balance in their child’s life, only to find out the child is sneaking into the Gym or running sprints when you are not around. The same child is #1 in class ranking… (think they call her—Ray Ray) :roll:
as we all know, this is not the norm and should not be pushed but rather embraced if you may be blessed with such talent.

With that said, as long as student/athlete is playing to her best ability, with proper recovery and balance life --- who cares about verballing early… YET the majority of these kids do not have a balanced life and have overzealous parents. The two combined will undoubtedly contribute to burnt out and/or injury. Therefore, Sam and the others may be correct on blanket statement of being too young (more referring to parents experience in my opinion)

I’d like to bring up another point that may contribute more to the parents’ necessity of verballing (early vs. late). Assuming coaches continue to verbal young and soon make this the norm, those who pound on their chest “its not right” may lose out on money? What a tangled web we weave
Diesels_dad

by JIFI » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:38 am

As Lexis pitching coach and friend to the Sosa's, seeing how the processes effected not just her play, but her emotional well being, was over whelming. As a parent all you want to do is protect your kid from anything negative, but sometimes you can't help it. This poor kid was showcased for 6 weeks straight. She had one weekend off since her last pitch of 12u PGF. She was used as a headliner to attract coaches to camps, clinics and combines, all in the name of "college recruitment". Lexi is a very smart kid, who has a huge heart. She felt the pressure of everybody wanting something from her. I remember her parents asking me if I could meet with her and just talk to her as a friend. We went to Jamba Juice and just hung out. She was all smiles and laughing until, I started bringing up her recruiting situation. The moment I brought it up, her face got long and you can tell she was visibly OVER IT.

This situation is a doubled edged sword. For any parent that has gone through this process knows how stressful and EXPENSIVE it is. Having to shell out 150 bucks here, 75 dollars there 200 for this.... It's never ending. As a personal friend and her pitching coach, I was pleased to see all of this come to an end after she made her verbal commitment. She is all smiles again. She plays for the love of the game again. Think of all the money the family saves from not having to travel to the ends of the earth to showcase. UCLA has very high standards when it comes to her education, which make her stay on top of her game in the class room. Here is another point, UCLA was not her only choice. She had practically her choice of schools to pick from and out of respect I will keep that between the family and the schools. But UCLA was a great fit. Lexi is a huge family person, her family is everything to her and being able to go somewhere so close that her family can go watch 95% of her games was a huge factor.. She also wants to be an entertainment Lawyer, so UCLA is a no brainer (will she change her mind? Maybe? Maybe not.. The point is, its really nobodies business but the Sosa's of the "Why'" UCLA. Someone made a great point when talking to a college coach that was upset at a certain decision that a kid made. When this coach asked the father "was this even her choice, or yours?" the response is classic "If you want it to be her choice, then wait till she is a 21 yo, experienced life, knows what she wants and knows what is important to her and then it can be her sole decision. Until then its what my family decides"
JIFI
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:44 am

It is obvious that this young lady is very talented and by all accounts on this site works hard. I am sure that this was great news to this young lady and her family.

As far as a great accomplishment-not sure. Here is what she got:

UCLA bascically said that we have some ($$$$) for you(which can change) maybe if the following does not happen:

-coach changes
-injury
-lousy grades
-bad sat/act
-we change our mind
-skills dont change

Now this obviously puts her in better position than 99% of her peers :D

The broader question is it good for the sport? IMO, no. Despite Sam's obvious hyperbole, he actually brings up some good points that should cause everyone on this site to lokk at themselves in the mirror. To dismiss those(with experience) as "haters" or "jealous" is foolhardy. we should all think back about what are deision process was like at 13 and how much can and does happen from 13-18. I think can all understand why the parents would want this and why the coaches do this. Unfortunately it sets up an "arms race" where coaches commit younger and younger(as well as more and more" and parents/athletes fee more and more pressured to commit or be left behind. How many times do you read a "Who's Going Where" post and see "school of their dreams" and you see the school and go WTF, really? IMO the choice of school should be made on academic reasons and what opportunities it will help in a career/emplyment after school. If it does not, frankly it is a waste of time. Obviously many players commit early, go to the school of their "dreams" and it works out great, but how many cast to the side somewhere along the process? We never hear about those.

It is right to celebrate the current fortunes of this young player, but we should also be aware of the pitfalls and consequences that may result
jonriv

by JIFI » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:02 am

One more thought..... If everyone agrees that Committing athletes so young is not a great idea.. which it sounds like.. Stop allowing 7th graders, 8th graders and 9th graders to be showcased. If Showcasing begins at sophomore year then the colleges will have no choice but to wait. I think that is a more viable answer than waiting for college coaches to agree to not recruit.

Jason Iuli
JIFI
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:44 am

Ok... Millions of families push their children at an early age to achieve in education. We all know that's the ticket to "success" in America. Finding the best pre-school, then elementary school, then of course secondly schools. Why?

Opportunity!! The pressure to take classes, have Tudors, develope and extracurricular activities to help build a resume to maybe gain access to a school such as UCLA, Cal, or plug in whatever school. How is that pressure any different? Why aren't those parents being chastised and in not so many words being treated as they haven't the best thoughts for their child?

End of the Day this young lady has instant access to a top 25 school because her arm is better than millions of girls her age(softball or otherwise). Ask those other million families if they could choose UCLA today in 8th grade if they would change their mind. Oh add in the fact you can do all of it for free, get cool gear and travel the country... Again for free!

You guys are absurd and hypocritical in your point of view. I ask what would you have done if your 8th grader had this opportunity? Walk away... Right... It simply isn't that easy!
tbjd33

by jonriv » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:53 am

Perhaps you meant "hyper"critical?
jonriv

by exD1dad » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:13 pm

tjbd I guess you missed the backlash against the Asian "Tiger Mom" parenting a few years back...what's the rush? Spazzdad makes an outstanding point . What, she won't throw 60+ when she's 15 or 16 & has more maturity ? Why decide now, why not let everybody chase & follow her & let a child be a child & have fun with all the attention?(that could turn into a burden too I guess) 6 weeks of showcases after PGF sounds like borderline child abuse to me but what do I know?.

Sam hit the nail on the head as far as constant pressure to perform & meet expectations. Sadly I recall a committed SoCal pitcher who committed suicide a few years ago.

Jonriv is on the money with his "who's going where" point but in many instances with such competition to get to the next level it's not about an academic fit, it's about playing softball. Which all though is short sighted (IMHO) but OK with me as we all have our individual goals, dreams & paths.

Maybe it's me but could someone from SoCal please explain to me how playing softball 48 weeks a year, taking pitching lessons, batting lessons, fielding lessons & working out for years OUTSIDE of normal team practices, friendlies, showcases, qualifiers & tourneys is a balanced life for a teenager.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:37 pm

tbjd33 wrote:have Tudors
I know a lot of kids who don't live in Tudors and they do well. It is not a necessity.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by tbjd33 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 pm

as the world turns wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:have Tudors
I know a lot of kids who don't live in Tudors and they do well. It is not a necessity.

Wow. Gotta love you! Probably cause a lot of head scratching on this one. Damn iPhone auto-correct.

Btw... How is the Engilish National Team?
tbjd33

by tbjd33 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:59 pm

jonriv wrote:Perhaps you meant "hyper"critical?

Actually both work...
tbjd33

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions