Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

13 yr old becomes youngest ever to verbal to UCLA

What's on your mind?

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:44 pm

From Full Count Softball:

“Lexi Sosa of Firecrackers – Thornberg has become the youngest person in UCLA history to verbal. She is a power pitcher (64 mph and power hitter) who just turned 13 years old four months ago.”
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:32 pm

I told a coach a few years ago they were going to be verballing sixth graders before long. He said he'd quit if that happened. We are now one grade away from my kidding comment becoming reality.
Mark H

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Mark H wrote:I told a coach a few years ago they were going to be verballing sixth graders before long. He said he'd quit if that happened. We are now one grade away from my kidding comment becoming reality.

So you turned this post into all about you and your friend the coach? I know early verbals is one of the most discussed recruiting topics on the Bucket, but how about, wow! Wonderful for her and her family!?!?
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
Mark H wrote:I told a coach a few years ago they were going to be verballing sixth graders before long. He said he'd quit if that happened. We are now one grade away from my kidding comment becoming reality.

So you turned this post into all about you and your friend the coach? I know early verbals is one of the most discussed recruiting topics on the Bucket, but how about, wow! Wonderful for her and her family!?!?

This post can go many ways... I expect many to critique in a negative way. I for one do not care either way about early verbals, but never think it's a bad thing and DD has a chance for a better future.

On that note she is an 8th grader and shes a pretty damn good obviously. I've seen her at ID camps and she's gonna be good.

Congrats to her and her family...
tbjd33

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:

Fastpitch4life I think you misunderstood the intent of Mark H's comment. Seems to me he was just sharing a story about his experience. The coach he referenced is likely a fairly high profile D1 coach if I'm guessing right.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Or we can turn ithis post to my dd. She didn't even have a butt at 13.
She had to rent a butt till she finally grew her own at 18.
JMO Too early, a lot happens before 13 and 18, like 5 years of growth and maturity.

PS Congradulations to the parents,,,NOT the player (she's too young)
Last edited by Safebyahare on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:32 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:

This post can go many ways... I expect many to critique in a negative way. I for one do not care either way about early verbals, but never think it's a bad thing and DD has a chance for a better future.

On that note she is an 8th grader and shes a pretty damn good obviously. I've seen her at ID camps and she's gonna be good.

Congrats to her and her family...

I believe that most students are 13 entering the 8th grade and not 12 as she would have been. Although not completely uncommon she would be uncharacteristically young for her grade and so it's understandable that Mark H would have assumed she was in the 7th grade as she could easily have been and could still be held back without penalty.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:14 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:I believe that most students are 13 entering the 8th grade and not 12 as she would have been. Although not completely uncommon she would be uncharacteristically young for her grade and so it's understandable that Mark H would have assumed she was in the 7th grade as she could easily have been and could still be held back without penalty.

Your OP indicated a September-ish birthday, so I would expect her to be in 8th grade if she started school in Cal...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:35 pm

PDad wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:I believe that most students are 13 entering the 8th grade and not 12 as she would have been. Although not completely uncommon she would be uncharacteristically young for her grade and so it's understandable that Mark H would have assumed she was in the 7th grade as she could easily have been and could still be held back without penalty.

Your OP indicated a September-ish birthday, so I would expect her to be in 8th grade if she started school in Cal...

Although this certainly does occur, it's been my experience that students this young for their grade, especially those in competitive sports, start the next year. If not for UCLA's unusually late Fall start date at the beginning of October she would be entering college at 17 which I'm pretty sure is not the norm.

EDIT: After research it looks like the late Fall start dates are pretty standard for UC's. I still feel that it is unusual, but certainly not unheard of, for a student to be that young entering college, especially a student-athlete.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:So you turned this post into all about you and your friend the coach? I know early verbals is one of the most discussed recruiting topics on the Bucket, but how about, wow! Wonderful for her and her family!?!?

Really? Having a bad day or are you always a(n)____________________fill in the blank. :roll:

My bet is a bad day. I think Fastpitch4life just mistook Mark H's comment as he/she is usually pretty level-headed IIRC.

Unlike that jerk, Fastpitchdad05 who seems to have a lot of "bad days"! :shock: :lol: :oops:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions