Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Travel Ball Costs

What's on your mind?

by Safebyahare » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14 pm

I still need someone to explain to me how and why volleyball is more expensive than travel ball.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:41 pm

rbi wrote:Every time one of my SoCal buddies complain to me about expenses for softball i want to tell them to go find someone else to b.s.. :roll:

Why? Cause PGF and some Showcases are in SoCal... Well where r u? How many times do you come out this way?

We have the highest gas prices (nice for when we drive many miles mostly in the worst traffic in America!), much higher cost for basic living expenses than most states, many times we also need hotels to play sighing our own state. Many tourneys are over 2 hours away. Not to speak on necessary training and misc items needing to compete in So Cal.

Not complaining cause no other place I'd rather live... Just saying!
tbjd33

by DonnieS » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:37 am

Safebyahare wrote:I still need someone to explain to me how and why volleyball is more expensive than travel ball.

I figured it was because of having to secure gyms,etc. instead of the park around the corner.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:35 am

tbjd33 wrote:
rbi wrote:Every time one of my SoCal buddies complain to me about expenses for softball i want to tell them to go find someone else to b.s.. :roll:

thanks for taking the bait!

Why? Cause PGF and some Showcases are in SoCal... Well where r u? How many times do you come out this way?

Well because pretty much every tourney we played in is in SoCal excpet for Boulder, so probably 10 times a year for four years (thats just 18G and not including 12's,14's, so add another 10 trips, i know every landmark on the route from NorCal

We have the highest gas prices (nice for when we drive many miles mostly in the worst traffic in America!), much higher cost for basic living expenses than most states, many times we also need hotels to play sighing our own state. Many tourneys are over 2 hours away. Not to speak on necessary training and misc items needing to compete in So Cal.

Well sir, no disrespect but so same gas stations you gas up at, im there too. Those same freeways you travel im on as well, and we all do the training to be the best we can be. Plus we traveled two hours to practice each way twice a week. I

Here is the kicker, my buddies go sleep in their own beds at night and do not have to travel JUST to get to LA to deal with the traffic and gas and hotel costs, and eating OUT, oh an a occasional adult beverage, but im saving now that Oggi's is gone, yea right.[b][b]. Plus most of my buddies dont have team fee's they just host toruney's that my sorry ass went too, great food though! Team fee;s for us push $3k a year just to wear the jersey.

Ok, i know you rough it and stay in Hemet twice a year and have to pay for air and hotel and rental car for Colorado, damn that sucks. Did you notice who is in the airport with you getting luggage off baggage claim, us poor NorCal folk

Cant even imagine what a team budget for a top club we saw every weekend from the South or Midwest is.

Not complaining cause no other place I'd rather live... Just saying!

Not complaining as i wouldnt change a thing, just dont tell me about what it cost you. Sad thing is ALL my kids live down there now, and it has NOT stopped, yikes!

Merry Christmas!
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:03 am

rbi wrote:Not complaining as i wouldnt change a thing, just dont tell me about what it cost you. Sad thing is ALL my kids live down there now, and it has NOT stopped, yikes![/b]

Merry Christmas!

Making friends like rbi over the years has helped make this whole journey worthwhile.
Especially now that our daughters are in the same conference and play against each other.
What has it cost? Not really sure, I never liked to keep a total so I didn't get sick to my stomach.
But I also would not trade a thing.
Well, I probably would have stopped my kid from playing in that dodgeball game her senior year in high school, where she sprained her lisfranc ligament in her landing foot...
But even that was part of the road she was supposed to travel to get where she is today.

Regarding the OP, as many have said, it varies greatly.
Where do you live, in relation to where the team is based.
Where are you traveling?
Do you have any sponsers?
Fundraisers? and effective fundraisers, not stupid raffle tickets that you have to buy yourself.
Dues, franchise fees/taxes, lessons, etc all add up.
It's been a couple years but dues should not be more than $150 per month in my opinion.
Start up fees should be $300-$500.
Be careful of teams that force your kid to pay for lessons from the coaches.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rfmnz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Appreciate all the responses so far. I agree that the teams should be transparent. Would provide a greater level of confidence and trust, IMO.
rfmnz

by PDad » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:10 pm

The fact your costs are/were higher doesn't mean theirs weren't high...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Safebyahare wrote:I still need someone to explain to me how and why volleyball is more expensive than travel ball.

duh...balls are bigger 8-)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Would not trade the time i was 3,000 miles away in Georgia at a ASA National, and sat in a parking lot for a few hours as the rain gods pounded us, only to be told games are being pushed back, NO SH**!..., could have told you that before i left the hotel four hours ago.

Would not trade the times i drove 8 hours to lovely Hemet only to sit in my hotel room and find out games are not gonna happen all weekend, due to rain gods. I was so so stoked!

Would not trade the time I drove home 10 hours from Vegas at 9PM on a Sunday after the city of Vegas turned the lights out in middle of championship game, due to city ordinance. I was so pumped knowing i had to be at work at 8am Monday.

Now i would trade my DD's LAST ever TB at bat at PGF Nationals, where she hit a home run to dead center against a very good Texas team and my son caught it five feet away from me. SHOULD have been mine but i got caught up in the moment, damn!

AND i want to trade the time Arto took MY full beer after i had to leave to ER because his DD dotted mine in the melon. I think it was all planned on Arto's part. I owe him big time!
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:12 am

rbi wrote:Would not trade the time i was 3,000 miles away in Georgia at a ASA National, and sat in a parking lot for a few hours as the rain gods pounded us, only to be told games are being pushed back, NO SH**!..., could have told you that before i left the hotel four hours ago.

Would not trade the times i drove 8 hours to lovely Hemet only to sit in my hotel room and find out games are not gonna happen all weekend, due to rain gods. I was so so stoked!

Would not trade the time I drove home 10 hours from Vegas at 9PM on a Sunday after the city of Vegas turned the lights out in middle of championship game, due to city ordinance. I was so pumped knowing i had to be at work at 8am Monday.

Now i would trade my DD's LAST ever TB at bat at PGF Nationals, where she hit a home run to dead center against a very good Texas team and my son caught it five feet away from me. SHOULD have been mine but i got caught up in the moment, damn!

AND i want to trade the time Arto took MY full beer after i had to leave to ER because his DD dotted mine in the melon. I think it was all planned on Arto's part. I owe him big time!

Man you love rain!!
tbjd33

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions