Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What do you think of trophy hunting coaches?

What's on your mind?

by 59Invicta » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:46 pm

SoftballKing71 wrote:What do you think of coaches that are using players as subs that are aging up Jan? Is that demonstrating a lack of integrity? :twisted:

King - are you sure that's why the coach has those kids? In my case, when my DD came to travel from rec league, it was summer and after All Stars, so for that first fall, we chose to keep her in her current age group rather than go with the moving up that the travel teams do. That meant she played on a "younger" team for that first fall in travel. It was a great way to transition to travel ball, and I thank the coach who took her for the out of the box thinking. "Lack of integrity"? On the contrary, I think it showed great integrity to the players. That coach took my DD and worked with her and built her into a better player knowing that my DD would leave in January. I would never say this this coach did this for "trophy hunting"
59Invicta
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Ya know what Softball King, Donnie sounds right, like you had someone pee in your oatmeal after you lost. It doesn't matter if a kid ages up in few months if they're legal to play who cares where they're they're going in the future. That's like saying this Org brought down all their kids from their 18 gold teams & made a super 16 that beat everybody. BOO HOO

Trophy Hunting, especially at the 12U, 14U level makes the kids feel good. & why not, it's always more fun to win.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:47 pm

We all see things through the paradigm of our own experience. I'm sure no one has a problem with what your daughter's coach did. I think the complaint references teams or individuals who stay down to play a few more months in for example 12U when they know they or the team is going to have to play 14U come summer. I'd recommend playing in the fall in at least the age group you will have to play the following summer. Unless of course there is a good reason like yours.
Mark H

by Mark H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:52 pm

EX,

If you are playing in the fall at an age you won't be eligible for in the spring and you are doing a lot of winning, you are cheating your kids imo. Go play teams that challenge you. When you have to move up come spring or summer the girls are going to experience reality anyway. I'd worry less about feeling good and more about becoming good. Just me.
Mark H

by Pale Rider » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Its FALL Ball...kids playing still LEGALLY in their age division isnt really an issue...per whatever sanctioning bodies rules that is...
If ASA or ?...Says the must play in age group XX after 1 Jan so be it...so that's viable until 31 Dec...
If they're 'legal' till 1 JAN so be it...

The imaginary 'play up rule' is just that...imaginary...and or complimentary, but not a rules requirement UNLESS a tournament stipulates that...Its more of a courtesy
...kids playing up or within their upcoming age group get the advantage of playing older kids...

But you have coaches who think because their team is omnipotent in 12U, hence they should be omnipotent in 14U Fall Ball if they play up in Fall...(but dont HAVE to)...
and find out the older kids pound them...
And 'steal' the vaunted 4 ft plastic thing ...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Play your age group...Period. Move up when it's time. This is getting as insane as early (8th grade) commits in college. :roll:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Pale Rider » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Battle wrote:Play your age group...Period. Move up when it's time. This is getting as insane as early (8th grade) commits in college. :roll:

And the people say Amen....
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Yeah amen but if you are talking a late bloomer like the one poster I certainly have no problem with taking all the time she could before moving up. That's different than playing the fall beating up on young teams.

Pale Rider,

Never said it was a rule to move up in the fall. Said you are cheating your players if they are whacking everyone. If they are struggling to compete, then maybe staying down was a good call.
Mark H

by Pale Rider » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Mark H wrote:Yeah amen but if you are talking a late bloomer like the one poster I certainly have no problem with taking all the time she could before moving up. That's different than playing the fall beating up on young teams.

Pale Rider,

Never said it was a rule to move up in the fall. Said you are cheating your players if they are whacking everyone. If they are struggling to compete, then maybe staying down was a good call.

But the whin O meter pegs every year at this time...They dont HAVE to play up...
Most whimpering comes from the younger groups who think winning plastic is the most important thing on Earth vs seeing better competition......then brag they won a 16U when no 16U (or whatever) teams were playing... :lol:

Played a team last weekend...18U...Mine has to move to 18U anyway next spring...played 16U last 4 yrs with some 18 mixed...skipped 14U...anyway only team we played and beat us were all 19yr olds and already freshman in college...It made my kid better playing against them, which will be their last 18U tourney...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:35 am

Playing up at to 18U & playing up to 14U are 2 different animals IMO.

Yes the competition is better but the game is supposed to be fun, winning makes it that much more so. Nothing wrong with chasing trophies in the Fall & it could be the only Tourney the kids ever win in their career, think about that before bashing these types of coaches
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions