Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Competitiveness

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:48 am

Besides those mentioned previously, I know of three players in this area that were lead off bunters who got $$$ to play in college. Two in d1 and one in d2. I am sure with a little research we will find even more.
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 am

jonriv wrote:If I recall, not too many teams could defend against "gone in 2.6's" dd either

Btw tbj, the defense against a hr is called a k

Cheetahs couldn't beat her to first...

And nobody *always* bunts...most are triple threats vs ball crusher 1 tool weapon...
A big hitter who can put down a dandy bunt is a ++
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:21 am

Perhaps more precision in language would lessen the friction? If Susie can consistently beat out a bunt for a hit, that's pretty much a single of another stripe. Probably close to practically being a lead off double a pitch later unless the catcher has a cannon.

What is WAY over used in fp is the sac bunt. IMHO anyway. For me, the sabre geeks settled this question years back. Sure the sac bunt has a place but too many coaches are in love with it calling it frequently with a runner on first and zero or even one out when it makes no sense. As a matter of mastering your craft there is no excuse for not being able to lay down a bunt when asked. As a matter of not being statistically clueless, there is no excuse for the majority of the sac bunts I see called.

As a coach, I'd recruit the great hitter with a good all around game except for bunting and work on teaching her to bunt a LONG time before I'd recruit the fundamentally sound all around player who bunts well but isn't the gifted hitter player one is. Obvious no doubt but I'm looking to agree on what can be agreed on.
Mark H

by tbjd33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 am

exD1dad wrote:tbjd you're out to lunch again. Prove your simpleton point? Bunting is a vital part of the game you muttonhead & if you read other posters it's essential at every level. All teams need role players you bonehead. That DD on UCLA's roster proves your an imbecile & wrong because she doesn't get in to that school without the coach period. Now, perhaps you aren't familiar with UCLA admissions since you're a dunce but it is very difficult it is to get in. Perhaps a pinhead like yourself really believe DD's get full rides when it's actually a combination of FAFSA, athletic $$ sometimes grants & other awards.

This public service labeling of tbjd with Synonyms to idiot is compliments of thesaurus.com ;)

Huh Ex... Just had a son graduate from Cal (tougher admissions than UCLA) and played baseball. So that would mean I understand the admission and $$$ side of college sports. Of course baseball a much tougher environment for both parents and sons than Our DD will go through. Much more competitive I would say as well since there is actually the hope of sports after college.

But of course you dont have the ability to recall past posts.

I ask who was strictly a bunting only player in the WCWS last year. None.... Closest was Ceo with Oregon or Stewart with FL but damn it both could make it bounce or hit it straight.

Wrong once the ball goes over JR there is no defense. You say the K is the defense for every player cause it happens.

Now only an idiot would think my statement about bunters is true. Of course there are many girls that specialize in bunting which could slap and occasional hit it straight. None of them went for bunting though. Now that being said there are many girls offered $$ in some way or another (that's for you Ex) for true HR power. That's called a DP or DH... But all must be team players... Ha ha LOL!

And I'm not talking D2/3... I'm talking big 5 schools!
tbjd33

by exD1dad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm

tjbd yes Cal is tougher but by minuscule standards their freshman class had a GPA that was .01 higher than UCLA & their admit rate was .9% lower & average SAT scores were a whooping 4 pts higher with an ACT a monster 1 point higher, then again if you live in California - Cal admits a higher % of State students but with 3000+ less overall students UCLA lets in more Cali residents by only about 600+ students. UCLA's international population give added revenue to the coffers.

AS far as college baseball is concerned I really don't follow it since I only have daughters & my DD's HS has sent 4 players directly to the Pros the last 3 years & was ranked #1 in the nation 2 years ago, so sorry :lol: but I do know UCLA was ranked #1 last year but I didn't see Cal in the top 25. :oops:

Now I never saw your quantification of WCWS & the DD I talked about bunted every single time, We both know NO DD hits HR even 30% of the time so your entire comparison is useless.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 pm

exD1dad wrote:tjbd yes Cal is tougher but by minuscule standards their freshman class had a GPA that was .01 higher than UCLA & their admit rate was .9% lower & average SAT scores were a whooping 4 pts higher with an ACT a monster 1 point higher, then again if you live in California - Cal admits a higher % of State students but with 3000+ less overall students UCLA lets in more Cali residents by only about 600+ students. UCLA's international population give added revenue to the coffers.

AS far as college baseball is concerned I really don't follow it since I only have daughters & my DD's HS has sent 4 players directly to the Pros the last 3 years & was ranked #1 in the nation 2 years ago, so sorry :lol: but I do know UCLA was ranked #1 last year but I didn't see Cal in the top 25. :oops:

Now I never saw your quantification of WCWS & the DD I talked about bunted every single time, We both know NO DD hits HR even 30% of the time so your entire comparison is useless.

Ex your a classy gentleman... You think your clever with your stats and your cheap remarks. Really enjoy how you infer my sons achievements are not up to par because he didn't sttend UCLA. This site never ceases to amaze me with the low level persons as yourself Ex.

Couple of things:

#1 My boy was drafted in 7th rd out of Highschool.
#2 Our family chose Cal for its excellent national ranking as the #1 public institution in the country. Turning down both UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, LMU, ASU, UW and Miami. All offering 75% or better which is pretty damn good. By his Soph year he was 100% athletic scholarship.
#3 He graduated with Honors. Had 173 on LSat gonna attend Bolt Law.
#4 He was twice All Pac 12 through a few nagging injuries.
#5 With my own eyes watched him play at TD Ameritrade.

So next time you feel the need to be-little a mans child or his achievements think twice. You just don't know who your talking too. As I understand your daughter(s) played College softball. Right? If so then you did a great job raising them and I applaud their achievements. They are part of the amazing 1% which gets to feel that achievement. My DD will be there in a few years... I can't wait!
tbjd33

by exD1dad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 pm

tbjd I see no difference between Cal or UCLA both great schools, both extremely hard to get into unless you play a sport & are a stud/studette.. Stat's are numbers that give accurate comparisons. read the words I wrote instead of listening to your own inner voice next time.

Good for your son, I'm sure he worked very hard to get to where he's at & you should be extremely proud of his accomplishments. However you mis-interpreted what I said & that's not the 1st time, I never said anything about your kid specifically but I did quote rankings. so what part of "I don't follow college baseball" makes you think I'm demeaning your kid?

In the end I'd rather you insulted me than kicked your dog :D
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions