Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why be a Firecracker? Seriously

What's on your mind?

by exD1dad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Since my DD is retired (she just took 3rd in the Wolfpack Hustle HP Gran Prix Drag Race beating 2 Pro's this weekend :D ) & a former FC player I thought I'd chime in since it generally seems FC parents & coaches tend to be quiet.
First of all Lawdawd has it right who cares? lots of reasons FC parents will say jealousy, outsiders may just need a dog to kick. In 1st year 14's my DD joined a Org that was expanding & has since lost 3/4 of those teams but the 18G still pumps put college players & that coach wanted name recognition because as an independent he couldn't get quality friendlies, with it he had no problems. I think this is the biggest reason & if money isn't an issue why give a flying F%#$ what other teams do, don't you have enough of your own problems to work on? :)
CTCbat since you;re attempting to audit TR you forgot all the batting lessons, profits from apparel & lets not forget who 1) put up the money & partnered with good old Bob Surane over there @ RTA. because that is a money maker too. IMO that's just good old American capitalism & it's really none of our business, it is a reason to point a finger (forgetting 3 more point back at us as they (FC coaches) tell us how many kids they've sent on to play at the next level)
Anybody remember when Seattle Pilots in 1969 were a MLB expansion team? they got players from a some kind of supplemental draft & they sucked for years, but who remembers that now ? My point here is you gotta start somewhere.
Now my DD went to an expansion FC team 2 yrs ago (that just dissolved after a little over 1 season) but our intention was always to use that as a springboard into the Org. She jumped to another FC team for PGF, led them in RBI's , then that team merged with another team (great coach, puts tons of players into college but he takes a ton of heat ..again for $$$) so for her it worked fine. There is no "parents TB manual" to follow, therefore it's trial & error lots of times (thats why this board is so GREAT)
The final advantage for SoCal teams is TR does show up, holds clinics with his 18G team, the coaches must use his practice routines that have worked for him. Now out of state FC teams is another story in that aspect & I don't have that experience.
My final word is in this ever growing competitive market place to make it to the next level DD's & teams need every edge to get players to college & for many it's the jersey. Remember it's their choice & they're paying the $$ so who are we to judge?
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:My only complaint is when one of the hundred satellite Firecracker team coaches tries to claim that he has direct ties to Tony, and thereby insinuates that the kids on his texas firecrackers roster will directly benefit from a connection to Tony that others don't have. This misleads the new parents I think, and I don't like it. If a coach is claiming direct ties, then I'm curious to know the details of Tony's involvement with that team. I've got no problem with the free marketplace, and Tony getting rich off of the Firecracker name. It's his to do with what he wants, and none of my business. But when a coach comes onto HB and throws out this type of 'affiliation' claim, he is going to get HB scrutiny.

Scrutiny?...more like keel hauled :D

And someone joining an org...and expecting *instant* gratification and wild success and NOT performing...

Caveat Emptor or parent goggles?
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tyler Durden » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
Scrutiny?...more like keel hauled :D

And someone joining an org...and expecting *instant* gratification and wild success and NOT performing...

Caveat Emptor or parent goggles?

Well, maybe more like a cursory glance. :shock:
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm glad you guys are keeping this conversation on the up and up.
Again, this post is not about bashing TR or Firecrackers.
As a parent or player or coach why be a Firecracker. Why switch team names. What is the attraction?
What I've gotten so far is,,
Name brand shirt, OK they are a nationally recognized name. (whoopee)
The name helps to retain or draw in players. (ok this I can relate to and understand)
They do a little of their own in house networking moving players up and around in org. (that is a positive)
The recognized name helps with friendlies or contains a form of clout. (ok, I guess)

Interesting,
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Hare...'Whadda ya want for nuttin'...bow bow bow'...A rubber biscuit? ;)

Im not decrying anyone or anything...
Does a name matter?
Yes...does it matter when a team itself is not at a 'upper' level...not really...Think of it along the lines of a WalMart Louis Vuitton purse...yeah, it has the name on it...but trust me...people (coaches and fans) know...

I have a t-shirt with Worlds Greatest Dad on it...(which is true btw)
But so far I haven't received any monetary award to that effect (yall pay up)

Part of the reason I see people point fingers...is
Could jealousy be a tad of it?...The man is making money...legally
What about envy?...(insert subliminal "I wish our org could do that")
Does it hurt a weak organization? I dunno, just how much access does it have to good coaching? Chances to play pick up in places the best players need to be seen playing at?
Yall tell me...I dunno...
To busy worrying about 'my lane' to care what shirt little Susie is wearing...
or Pamela Andersons assets....well nevermind :D
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Rather than edit I will add.
When you play Corona Angles or So.Cal Ath. or Bev. Bandits, Explosion, E C Bullets. or any of these normal organizations.
You know what you are getting. Either their class 'A' team or their B+/A- team, that's it.
When you play Firecrackers you are more apt to play a C or B than their real deal 'A' team.
Just saying that is what you get, when you get so many.
Further more if the above mentioned org have a 'C' team it is gone quickly ,because the boss is always near.
As an obervation the perfect org. has two teams in every age division, the best team and feeder/step child team.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:30 pm

If you are ....uh...uh...opposite of smart enough to bring a C team to one of the expensive tourneys...
Then you deserve the whoopin you're probably gonna get, and lose whatever assn credibility you had...plus embarrass you gals...
a Silk purse, sows ear type thing...
But come...kick ass and take names?.... ;)

Safebyahare wrote:Rather than edit I will add.
When you play Corona Angles or So.Cal Ath. or Bev. Bandits, Explosion, E C Bullets. or any of these normal organizations.
You know what you are getting. Either their class 'A' team or their B+/A- team, that's it.
When you play Firecrackers you are more apt to play a C or B than their real deal 'A' team.
Just saying that is what you get, when you get so many.
Further more if the above mentioned org have a 'C' team it is gone quickly ,because the boss is always near.
As an obervation the perfect org. has two teams in every age division, the best team and feeder/step child team.
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:19 pm

Maybe some parents are being sold a new Lexus and are paying for the Lexus, but they are being provided a Yugo.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LADAWG44 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Sam wrote:Maybe some parents are being sold a new Lexus and are paying for the Lexus, but they are being provided a Yugo.

37 Firecracker Teams at PGF this past summer...finishing all over the map. I really wouldn't call that a Yugo.
LADAWG44

by PDad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:32 pm

LADAWG44 wrote:
Sam wrote:Maybe some parents are being sold a new Lexus and are paying for the Lexus, but they are being provided a Yugo.

37 Firecracker Teams at PGF this past summer...finishing all over the map. I really wouldn't call that a Yugo.

How many were Premier vs Platinum?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions