Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Zepp Hitting Sensor

What's on your mind?

by socalmarauders » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:00 am

Anyone using the Zepp sensor? I am and it gives a lot of info. I am trying to get the best drills that can improve each category of measurement (hand speed, bat speed at impact, full list here: https://baseballsupport.zepp.com/custom ... s/articles)

So far it has really helped give the girls something to strive for every time they are doing tee work! But any help in using specific drills for each metric would be highly appreciated!
Marauders Softball
Coach: Charlie Jones
http://www.marauderssoftball.com
socalmarauders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 am

Might be very good. Objective measurement is a good thing. I'd be most interested in the time to impact. You can get that from video but immediate objective feedback is MUCH better than good information later. I don't care about "hand speed" and the rest of that I can see with my eyes.
Mark H

by socalmarauders » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:48 pm

In using it it can be a bit info intensive....any specific drills you can think of to help increase (decrease) time to impact?
Marauders Softball
Coach: Charlie Jones
http://www.marauderssoftball.com
socalmarauders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Assuming efficient mechanics I think immediate objective feedback from a device like this is a very good idea. I know that's a lot to assume though.
Mark H

by Mark H » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 pm

As far as info intensive the only number I'd watch is time to impact
Mark H

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Time to impact? You always have such great insights in these matters. Hitting conversations in the past were getting a bit long/boring, but HB is slow right now, so I will ask my question.

I would think primary measure, if you can measure it, would be instantaneous bat speed at exact moment of contact. That plus contact angle (how square you hit) seem to be the main things that determine how hard it is hit.

I always felt like most bat speed measures were radar based, and often fell into the trap that they register the highest bat speed over the entire path. I have found it common to find hitters that over accelerate at the early part of the swing and then slow down the bat as they get to contact, waiting on the ball, because they were ahead.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Can she hit a change up with that bat speed??
Hitting into an open field gives you all the measurement you need.
Whether off the tee or soft toss of live pitching.
The batter has the results right away.
Cell phone video is the only batting tool needed for HER to see a visual of what if any needs to be corrected.

PS What is time to contact?? Is she hitting it out front?? Too deep??? That is all timing and judgement.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm sure the Zepp Hitting Sensor is "fun".

But do we really need to know these details to determine whether or not a girl can hit?

I personally feel like I can watch a girl for about 10 games worth of at-bats and know whether or not she's got the goods.

This just feels like another one of those overvalued things like that device that calculates the number of spins a pitcher throws.

Two questions...one for the pitcher and one for the batter:

Pitcher: Can you get batters out on a consistent basis?
Batter: Can you get on base on a consistent basis?

Done.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:14 pm

I have found that with my DD(and others) less is more. IMO too much information requires too much thinking and not enough reaction. Sometimes see the ball, hit the ball is it. I do think some of AI's comments were spot on, the only speed that counts is at the point of (solid) contact
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Spazsdad wrote:So are you saying a girl that isn't consistently getting on base should just keep doing what she is doing? You certainly wouldn't want any additional feedback during practice to gauge improvement ;)

No,,,,,,,

I just think many times we fill hitters heads with so many things to look for we cause even more confusion.. I always liked the video method- show a good at bat and a bad one. IMO most girls see the problem and and can adjust I have run into too many "hitting" instructors that try to fix what is not broken. The better instructors that I have experienced seem to do more tweaking and slight adjustments
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions