Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

High School Ball Mandatory?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:34 pm

Every player on every roster of every team in my daughters conference played on their Hs team. Those who chose not to are in a very small minority
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 pm

In my area about 40%(and rising) of Hs coaches are also tb coaches. Which I guess both proves and disproves SAMs theory :?
jonriv

by 59Invicta » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball.

33 - you read my mind! 75% of my DD's high school team does not play travel ball. She already spent a season tooooooooo long at rec league - that was MY mistake. Don't want to do repeat the mistake.

College coaches if presented with a plan absolutely go along with it.

Again - I was thinking along the same line - the idea that someone can do what they need/want to, as long as they can sell it. My DD will be pursuing extracurricular activities that will further her resume, not "taking a break" as Sam suggested......
59Invicta
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:40 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:You start your post with "I", but what does she want to do? Allow her to play for her school colors, regardless of your impression of the team, the girls do have fun. A college coach will see her not being on her HS team playing as a red flag of possibly not being a team player.

I disagree with the red flag comment... College coaches if presented with a plan absolutely go along with it. This year only I know of 3 of the top 10 in the Top 100 which do not play HS ball. It is becoming more common with recruits.

Yes I agree with the experience... Have to consider life is not about HS and it shouldn't be. Their experience in College is far more valuable and if they are prepared when they get there even better.

An earlier comment made about real games being good. Again, not true. Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that. Travel ball provides plenty of games to satisfy the games played issue.

Some of your points have some merit, but quite honestly at this point your posts are starting to come off to even the more open-minded posters like myself as "I'll show them they can't mess with me" adversarial, arrogant, know-it-all fodder.

If you're not "that guy" I just thought you should know how it's being perceived so that you can stop acting like "that guy" and be taken more seriously.

If you are "that guy" then by all means...PTI and carry on.

I could care less how I'm perceived or come off. It's simply a point if view... I don't speak for anyone else nor do I try.

Fact is MANY verbals choose not to play high school. Since it's inappropriate to name names I won't. But they are growing in number. Especially here in So Cal.

End of the day every on does the best for themselves. The topic is about highschool softball and is it necessary. Simply stated it isn't. I'm glad most of your DD's had an excellent HS career. That's great but two years after high school no one remembers and if your DD is still around so they do... Well that another issue.

So attempt to chastise me for having an opinion other than yours ( everyone!!). End the day things change and time goes on. Not my opinion just a fact of life...

"I don't speak for anyone else nor do I try."

Sure seems like you were speaking for all the so called "good" coaches when you stated:

"Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that."

Like I said...carry on.

That's a narrow minded approach. Seen and been around a ton of diamond sports. Coaches use that term a ton.

Bad softball creates bad habits. Last I checked bad habits aren't good. It's not rocket science...

Carry on...
tbjd33

by jonriv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Unless your daughter is already "commuted" might want to be careful about not playing IMO. Also not sure the message that is being sent even if she is.
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:48 pm

59 what year is your daughter
jonriv

by Battle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:49 pm

59Invicta wrote:I am considering having my DD opt out of playing high school ball. Her school does not have a strong program, and we are considering having her use the dark period to pursue other activities that will enhance her recruiting profile in different ways. She plays for an excellent travel organization and I know that the college recruiters use the travel teams to recruit, so, any negatives with this decision? I don't want my DD to miss something that is important, but I get an overall tone on this site that high school ball is something that players have to "recover" from come June :lol:

I wouldn't ponder too much on the overall tone on this. Arto about sums it up. For one thing, make it a point to not bad mouth the coach or the team. Let her make the call with a positive tone from you. If she doesn't want to play then fine but there should be no negative influence from her parents. It's hard to watch sometimes but it's a time to practice keeping your trap shut.

Another thing, a college coach could give less than a rat's ass about her high school ball for the most part. Don't read to much into that when asked.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:02 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:You start your post with "I", but what does she want to do? Allow her to play for her school colors, regardless of your impression of the team, the girls do have fun. A college coach will see her not being on her HS team playing as a red flag of possibly not being a team player.

I disagree with the red flag comment... College coaches if presented with a plan absolutely go along with it. This year only I know of 3 of the top 10 in the Top 100 which do not play HS ball. It is becoming more common with recruits.

Yes I agree with the experience... Have to consider life is not about HS and it shouldn't be. Their experience in College is far more valuable and if they are prepared when they get there even better.

An earlier comment made about real games being good. Again, not true. Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that. Travel ball provides plenty of games to satisfy the games played issue.

Some of your points have some merit, but quite honestly at this point your posts are starting to come off to even the more open-minded posters like myself as "I'll show them they can't mess with me" adversarial, arrogant, know-it-all fodder.

If you're not "that guy" I just thought you should know how it's being perceived so that you can stop acting like "that guy" and be taken more seriously.

I could care less how I'm perceived or come off. It's simply a point if view... I don't speak for anyone else nor do I try.

Fact is MANY verbals choose not to play high school. Since it's inappropriate to name names I won't. But they are growing in number. Especially here in So Cal.

End of the day every on does the best for themselves. The topic is about highschool softball and is it necessary. Simply stated it isn't. I'm glad most of your DD's had an excellent HS career. That's great but two years after high school no one remembers and if your DD is still around so they do... Well that another issue.

So attempt to chastise me for having an opinion other than yours ( everyone!!). End the day things change and time goes on. Not my opinion just a fact of life...

Sure seems like you were speaking for all the so called "good" coaches when you stated:

"Some HS ball is bad and so is the pitching and so are their team mates. No softball is better than bad softball. Any good coach would agree with that."

Like I said...carry on.

That's a narrow minded approach. Seen and been around a ton of diamond sports. Coaches use that term a ton.

Bad softball creates bad habits. Last I checked bad habits aren't good. It's not rocket science...

Carry on...

What-in-the-bloody-hell-are-you-talking-about? Are you on prozac or does your brilliance just come naturally?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Battle wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

Like I said...carry on.

Carry on...

What-in-the-bloody-hell-are-you-talking-about? Are you on prozac or does your brilliance just come naturally?

It's natural... This isn't a driven geometry test!
tbjd33

by artomatic » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions