Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Good speech

What's on your mind?

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:36 am

This is making the rounds. http://nesn.com/2014/08/rhode-island-coach-delivers-fantastic-speech-after-llws-loss-video/

For some reason it made me think of that softball coach that destroyed that 3rd place trophy with a bat. Did not have time to dig up the link.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:51 am

Great speech- one that all coaches can learn from. This is how you are suppose to coach 12 & 13 year old kids
jonriv

by Hurricane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am

Wait! What? An adult acting like an adult who cares about his players?

You mean the coach didn't scream at his young players during the game and deride them after they struck out or made an error or mental mistake? What's this world coming to?

I thought adults who are "supposedly" good "name" coaches are suppose to lie to their players; scream at them during the game; and then after the game WHILE they are shaking hands with the other team continue the rant on how they embarrassed him as a coach.

What's wrong with that New England LL coach? He needs to take lessons from some of the fineest 14-U/16-U TB organizations in Southern California I guess. :D
Hurricane

by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:07 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:This is making the rounds. http://nesn.com/2014/08/rhode-island-coach-delivers-fantastic-speech-after-llws-loss-video/

For some reason it made me think of that softball coach that destroyed that 3rd place trophy with a bat. Did not have time to dig up the link.

We need that link........
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:56 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:This is making the rounds. http://nesn.com/2014/08/rhode-island-coach-delivers-fantastic-speech-after-llws-loss-video/

We need that link........

I'm not sure there's a link to a video of it (although I swear I saw it, but maybe I'm just delusional) but here is a link to the topic on HB where it was discussed:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15140&hilit=smashed

EDIT: Looks like there are some pics on Page 2.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:04 pm

No posts about soft, coddled, everybody gets a trophy kids these days?

You people are getting soft!
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 pm

CheckWriter wrote:No posts about soft, coddled, everybody gets a trophy kids these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZuC4MmMzcg
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:29 pm

CheckWriter wrote:No posts about soft, coddled, everybody gets a trophy kids these days?

Ha! good one! too funny!

I don't think anyone wants the mentality of "everybody gets a trophy" or "everyone plays".

I do think everyone wants coaches to be held accountable for their actions. Some of these big name coaches do think they are above the idea of manners and just plain decency. At some point, they will have to look in the mirror at themselves. It won't be a pretty sight.
Hurricane

by CheckWriter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:53 pm

No sarcasm emoticons.

It is worse on UCS, but any time there is any complaint about a coach, it is ALWAYS the players' fault. Helicopter parents, disgruntled, playing time, coddled, etc. Nothing wrong with a coach that screams and belittles and curses. Toughen up! In my day ... barefoot in the snow, up hill - both ways, yada yada.

I don't know if my DDs played their travel and college ball on a different planet, but the sacrifices these girls make, to even set foot on a college softball field flies in the face of most of their comments. As you can see from my signature quote, the younger generation has been useless for a long time.

There is a Facebook group: "I can't, I have softball." My DDs stopped getting invited to stuff. I took 2 AP classes, they both took 7. They took hitting lessons, pitching lessons (fortunately one only through 12s, the other through 14s) and they were doing all that travelling too, not just us (granted they often did get a few extra hours of sleep in the back seat). Not to mention doing homework between games, playing in pain - something always hurt somewhere.

The vast majority of team mates were really great girls and young women. The vast majority of parents were great to hang out with. We all have been through a lot of coaches and have a pretty good idea on what makes a good coach, and adequate coach and a complete flippin' idiot.

My first post in this thread was mainly because it happens so often that when somebody posts less than positive about a coach, it is the kid, the parent, start your own team, etc. While I don't add to any of those negative posts about coaches, even when I have direct knowledge that things being said are true (I do not have the knowledge to coach the game and am thankful for all the folks that have coached my DDs, even the mediocre ones and especially the dads), I do think there are some out there that shouldn't be coaching and have no problem with them being called out.

Back to my biggest pet peeve. Trashing the girls in general. Just BS. Great girls. Looking forward to seeing what they will be accomplishing out in the real world when they apply what got them through the softball life to their careers.

Random tangential rant complete.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:01 pm

CheckWriter wrote: There is a Facebook group: "I can't, I have softball." My DDs stopped getting invited to stuff. I took 2 AP classes, they both took 7. They took hitting lessons, pitching lessons (fortunately one only through 12s, the other through 14s) and they were doing all that travelling too, not just us (granted they often did get a few extra hours of sleep in the back seat). Not to mention doing homework between games, playing in pain - something always hurt somewhere.

Back to my biggest pet peeve. Trashing the girls in general. Just BS. Great girls. Looking forward to seeing what they will be accomplishing out in the real world when they apply what got them through the softball life to their careers.

Random tangential rant complete.

Thank you for this post, especially above. Too many times we forget what it's like to be a 13-14 year old kid. We forget they are young lives still to be molded into something special. And yes, all it takes is just one mean SOB coach to ruin it. You can have a few terrific coaches, but it only takes 1 to shatter the confidence of a kid. Yes, a child.
Hurricane

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions