Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Grades and Softball

What's on your mind?

by LibbyOK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Would like to know more about the various academic camps around the country. If you are aware of some of them and their reptuations or websites, would be grateful for the info. Thanks!
LibbyOK
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:37 am

Recruiting camp? The best academic one would be the pennsbury academic. Ivy,patriot, nescac and newmac schools.
jonriv

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:17 am

I know that MOST (not all) schools, will allow 1 student with below average grades and probably not a student who would even get looked at by a school, on the team. The thing with this though is that they team (typically) is only allowed to have ONE on the team at a time. Mind you, I cannot speak to other sports, just softball.

I know of a few girls that were recruited to big schools with horrible grades. One never went and the other went to school and drank away the first semester and then eventually was asked to leave.

I know that some coaches understand that some players may have learning disabilities and that is why they are allowed to bring the kid in. They then work with them to get them the tutoring they need to succeed.

The coach is taking a huge chance on these players and they know that it may not work, but, sometimes, it does.
Sftbll4ever

by PDad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:48 am

LibbyOK wrote:Would like to know more about the various academic camps around the country. If you are aware of some of them and their reptuations or websites, would be grateful for the info. Thanks!

TCS holds some All-Academic exposure games during their Fireworks/Sparkler events in CO. Does anyone have feedback on them?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Go to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24368

DD had more coaches interest, more coaches watch, more coaches email & more coaches offer at this Academic Camp/Tourney than her previous 4 years combined

Here's what worked against my DD (but will benefit 99.9% of all players) GPA. Now 2 years ago when DD popped an 1810 on her SAT's without studying her GPA was only 3.3 & her older TB teammates who all had 4.2+ GPA's at public schools scored 1400 to mid 1500's. Why ??? well my DD's HS is ranked anywhere from 7th to 15 on all the lists for academic excellence in private schools in America, 35% go to Ivy/MIT/Stanford type schools, that's over 100 out of 300 per graduating class . They compete more against classmates than the entire nation combined. But despite college coaches knowing DD's school is prestigious, they are still rutted in "what's yr GPA" because they are inundated with thousands of emails thanks to RTA , NCSA, Captain U etc. (DD actually got searched again today hahahaha) & coaches don't differentiate curriculum (like the UC's her in Cali) the way admissions does.

The moral of the story ? GPA GPA GPA GPA
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DDG » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 pm

PDad wrote:
LibbyOK wrote:Would like to know more about the various academic camps around the country. If you are aware of some of them and their reptuations or websites, would be grateful for the info. Thanks!

TCS holds some All-Academic exposure games during their Fireworks/Sparkler events in CO. Does anyone have feedback on them?

My kid attended the TCS academic "all star" games in 2011. It was helpful. She was already on the radar of the "smart kid" schools as she was primarily in contact with them. If your kid is serious about attending a school with higher academic standards, and therefore, allows their athletes to take a more rigorous class load, these types of camps are important.

Regarding the original comments about the importance of grades, anyone who tells your kid that grades don't matter is a moron. The better the grades, the more doors that will be open for your kid. It's not just the 4.0's where this applies. the difference in opportunity between a 2.0 and a 2.8 GPA is huge when it comes to the schools and programs they can choose from. Most kids that are smart enough to succeed in softball are able to get decent grades., It usually a lack of effort that results in truly poor grades.
DDG

by jonriv » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:48 am

Something I learned from the coach at Tufts a few years ago. I was asking her how do they compare gpas from such diverse high schools all with different academic levels. She said that admissions at tufts(as well as other schools) have a rating system on Hs. For top hs( like ex d1. And my kids) they actually inflate those gpa while schools with grade inflation they discount. Schools have gotten very sophisticated in their admissions.
jonriv

by extiger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 am

Good softball coaches like high GPAs. Good schools like well rounded students.

One college coach told my DD a high GPA will get you in the school. Another told her a high SAT will get you more academic money. The higher the academic money the better your chances are to getting everything paid 100%.
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

by pac1012 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:41 pm

if you TB coach isn't focused on promoting high grades and educational excellence you are on the wrong team.
pac1012

by WhoMe » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:40 am

I teach all my parents and players to go on to the schools websites and go through the Net Price Calculator. Other than CA public schools, you will be shocked how much academic money is out there. Give me a 4.0 with a 600+ on math and critical reading and I will show you a very inexpensive recruit for coaches.

Another reason grades are so important??? You are just one injury away from being a Student not a Student/Athlete.

That's also another reason why choosing a school you love is so important. You better love the school if you can't ball anymore!!!!
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions