Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Questions! Questions? Who's Going to Answer?

What's on your mind?

by ontheblack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Are you serious?

You got legit answers. With regard to Sam's response, that is reality in many cases. Some coaches without kids on a team mention that when posting. However, most people either do their homework up front or realize that the makeup of the roster is fluid and not within your control.

If you ask the majority of the coaches with teams at PGF this last two weeks the roster related questions, you probably wont be invited to their tryouts. if you just showed up at the open workouts, you wouldnt be given a chance to ask many of those questions about the roster. Your reaction to the answers you got is why - you fit the profile to a tee. Why would any coach want to put up with that attitude when odds are they can find a kid equal to or better than yours with parents who get it?
ontheblack

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 pm

I don't have an attitude at all. I've never had asked any questions at a tryout, just waited to hear what the coaches had to say about their program.

Why is there so much hate? Why are you so upset? You are attacking the messenger and not the message: What is wrong with PGF and ASA making it mandatory that all coaches answer these questions when fielding a Travel Ball team?

Could it be that there are so many coaches out there who make players/parents afraid to ask questions? If they do, then they'll be kicked off the team? Is it too much to ask to have an adult rational conversation before parents spend a lot of money?

Is it playing the game through fear what we want for Travel Ball players/parents? Again, we're talking about mllenials, the kids of Generation X'ers.

It seems with some of the responses I'm reading here, that there definitely does need to be more transparency in Travel Ball.
Hurricane

by Sam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Hurricane wrote:I don't have an attitude at all. I've never had asked any questions at a tryout, just waited to hear what the coaches had to say about their program.

Why is there so much hate? Why are you so upset? You are attacking the messenger and not the message: What is wrong with PGF and ASA making it mandatory that all coaches answer these questions when fielding a Travel Ball team?

Could it be that there are so many coaches out there who make players/parents afraid to ask questions? If they do, then they'll be kicked off the team? Is it too much to ask to have an adult rational conversation before parents spend a lot of money?

Is it playing the game through fear what we want for Travel Ball players/parents? Again, we're talking about mllenials, the kids of Generation X'ers.

It seems with some of the responses I'm reading here, that there definitely does need to be more transparency in Travel Ball.

If you have to ask the question, I automatically know that your kid isn't good enough to make my team. Parents whom are confident in their DD's ability don't HAVE to ask the question. Parents that DO need to ask the question end up starting teams themselves and morph into the coaches you fear.

It's not a question of transparency. It's a question of respect. You think that the fact that I have a kid that pitches automatically means she will be the #1 pitcher on the team. You have no confidence in me and you have less confidence in your own kid.

We recognize people like you and the vast majority of us choose not do deal with your ilk. I would rather carry a less talented kid with good parents that I can work with devote time to improving her as a player.

Parents such as yourself can take your backbiting and whining to another coach who is willing to put up with it, and worse, making the other parents on the team put up with it all season.

Good luck finding a team. I already feel sorry for your future team parents.

OBTW: I started every tryout with a meeting with the parents, giving them a handout that covered your other questions, including estimated costs and a budget detailing dues along with fundraisers. All coaches worth playing for will do that.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Holy Scnitzit Batman! Did I pick open a HeyBucket scab or what? A lot of pus is spewing out I think.

Well, for the record. I am not like that at all. However, I do know many others who through no fault of their own, were treated very poorly by TB coaches. That is why I had started the thread to see what the reaction might be IF tryouts for TB were like an application process.

Granted, some of the questions might be over the top, but I was trying to start a dialog of communication from ALL HeyBucket members. Not just a few of the more outspoken ones. It seems like you are shouting down at me in your e-mails to make me the villain when all I'm trying to do is clean up a problem that many see in Travel Ball softball. There are many fine teams and organizations, but there are also many that aren't as transparent, too.

BTW...please don't lump me into any group of parents -- just like I won't lump you into the group of coaches who do take advantage of bright-eyed bushy-tailed girls who are trying to make it into big time TB only to find out they've been duped by coaches. You seem like a very focused coach who's goals are to win championships and help the girls grow.

I
Hurricane

by Pale Rider » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:15 pm

You sort of asked for it...You asked a question...asked for an opinion...opinions were given...you dont like them...everyone get pissed off...
All that's being said is you should do your homework before seeking a team...
SOrt of like folks who, when they show up for try-outs the Mommys and Daddys insist she's a SS...and thats the ONLY place she'll play..may as well get back in the car with most teams...You dont tell them where your kid is gonna play, or if shes gonna play...
Some of the questions you ask are on a personal basis...Its THEIR team...in most cases they aint begging your kid to play...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Pale Rider wrote:You sort of asked for it...You asked a question...asked for an opinion...opinions were given...you dont like them...everyone get pissed off...
All that's being said is you should do your homework before seeking a team...
SOrt of like folks who, when they show up for try-outs the Mommys and Daddys insist she's a SS...and thats the ONLY place she'll play..may as well get back in the car with most teams...You dont tell them where your kid is gonna play, or if shes gonna play...
Some of the questions you ask are on a personal basis...Its THEIR team...in most cases they aint begging your kid to play...

Hey, I do appreciate the feedback. I didn't say I didn't like their opinions. I didn't say I disagreed with them either. I am trying to create a dialog where EVERYONE can feel safe talking about a taboo subject. We're not talking sex, religion, or even political ideas. We are talking Travel Ball softball for impressionable young female athletes.

It seems there are many people looking at this thread, but not replying to it. Sam and you have stated your opinion and I value everyone's opinion. I do see your points. I get it.

However, there are many parents out there who have been treated unfairly by teams/coaches/organizations for no apparent reason.

Maybe they will reply, too. Or, maybe they are afraid to reply because they don't want to seem like "that parent" and be blackballed from Travel Ball because they have a different viewpoint.
Hurricane

by CatWoman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Your dd has to get offered a spot on a team first and if you go in there with this list of questions, it will be extremely hard for you to find a team. Don't ask more than two maybe three questions if even that. Does having the coach have a daughter/relative on the team make a difference? No. We have had both and being the dd of the coach is no picnic. Some of the best teams out there right now have parent coaches. See what the names of the coaches are and then look at the roster. That will give you an indication if there is a parent/child relationship. Don't ask.

If you are new to travel ball, it is going to be harder for her to break in to a good team/organization and immediately asking if there is a clear cut plan for getting your kid to college and getting her a scholarship is putting the responsibility on the coach and it is not their responsibility to get your kid recruited. What you need to know is that if she joins their team, will she have an opportunity to earn playing time that will help in her recruiting. There is so much more that goes into it than people realize. All a coach can really do is provide good coaching (hopefully) and an opportunity. Frankly, the rest is up to her. If she is not getting the opportunity for playing time, then go somewhere else. You will know after a few months.

Travel ball is expensive and if it is an issue, ask if there will be fundraising opportunities, etc. to help with costs. That's something you may want to know before going to a tryout. I have seen teams work with families to make it so the dd can play.

I have never heard of a team having a weekend off a month. Don't ask. Unless they tell you up front that's how they work, you should assume that you will be playing or practicing just about every weekend with occassional weekends off at the coaches' discretion. We found that if there was an important school or family function and we gave plenty of advance notice, we did not have a problem missing a practice. My dd may have missed one tournament throughout travelball when she had to take an SAT subject test that was offered only one time a year, but that was it. This is pretty much what is expected. if it's important to have a weekend off a month, you may be better off in rec ball. There is nothing wrong with rec ball as the commitment may be more manageable - you need to do what is best for your family.

Once you get an offer, that is your opportunity to find out how many people they plan on having for a particular position. You can ask - where do you see my dd fitting on your team? What kind of role do you see her playing? A lot of times they don't know until everyone shows up to the first practice what they have and then some may still be trying out and go to a different team.

Good luck with your tryouts. I know that you got bashed but it is much better having it here than having you go to tryout after tryout with your list and wondering why no one is offering your daughter a spot. What age group is your dd in?
CatWoman

by ontheblack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Hurricane wrote:Holy Scnitzit Batman! Did I pick open a HeyBucket scab or what? A lot of pus is spewing out I think.

Well, for the record. I am not like that at all. However, I do know many others who through no fault of their own, were treated very poorly by TB coaches. That is why I had started the thread to see what the reaction might be IF tryouts for TB were like an application process.

Granted, some of the questions might be over the top, but I was trying to start a dialog of communication from ALL HeyBucket members. Not just a few of the more outspoken ones. It seems like you are shouting down at me in your e-mails to make me the villain when all I'm trying to do is clean up a problem that many see in Travel Ball softball. There are many fine teams and organizations, but there are also many that aren't as transparent, too.

BTW...please don't lump me into any group of parents -- just like I won't lump you into the group of coaches who do take advantage of bright-eyed bushy-tailed girls who are trying to make it into big time TB only to find out they've been duped by coaches. You seem like a very focused coach who's goals are to win championships and help the girls grow.

I

Hurricane, The advice you have gotten is sound. It was meant to help you as you hit tryouts. You lumped yourself into that group because you didnt like the response you got and came back with childish responses about haters, etc.

Everyone knows someone who's kid got hosed. There are as many bad coaches out there as good ones. There are coaches out there that are great coaches on the field, but real POS as human beings. That is why you will keep hearing "do your homework" prior, because even if they answered your questions and you got the answers you like, that doesnt mean that things wont change.

That is why I had started the thread to see what the reaction might be IF tryouts for TB were like an application process

ASA and PGF cant govern how TB teams operate. This isnt rec where your team is under ASA oversight. Anyone can create a team and operate it pretty much as they see fit. All PGF and ASA can do is lay down requirements for playing in their respective sanctioned events. That said, you are free to ask what ever questions you want. We just gave you advice on why you may not want to ask certain questions. It isnt due to any kind of fear, its because we know by experience how things work and sought to help you not have to learn some things the hard way.

When Artomatic publishes his book on how to survive TB, buy it. Or just spend some time reading many of his old posts.
ontheblack

by Battle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:47 pm

I don't think Hurricane is asking for advice. I think he is inciting discussion...
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 pm

Battle wrote:I don't think Hurricane is asking for advice. I think he is inciting discussion...

Yes. Thank you. You are correct, sir! But "incite" has a negative connotation. How about "stimulate" discussion.

BTW: I have had many conversations with many parents/coaches/ over the years. I was trying to get a discourse going on communications and transparency.

I knew this topic would hit close to home with some posters due to the vitrtiol posted. I do think it has to be a 2-Way Street. CatWoman brings up many good points, too.
Hurricane

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions