Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Questions! Questions? Who's Going to Answer?

What's on your mind?

by Hurricane » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I'm not sure if this thread should be started in the Try Outs section or here. So, mods, feel free to move it there if necessary.

I thought it would be a good idea to start making a list of questions so DD's and Parents have something to fall back on as they go to tryouts for different teams this month.

It's a benefit for both the organization and prospective players to get all the information needed at each tryout and then compare. These are critical questions that all teams should disclose up front so potential players can make an educated decision. If anyone wants to add a question, then tell which question you would delete. (serious queries only please):

1. Do any of the coaches have daughters on the team? If so, what positions?
2. Do any of the coaches have relatives whose daughters will be on the team? If so, what positions?
3. Do any of the coaches have friends who have daughters on the team? If so, what positions?
4. Which year is the team? (i.e., 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, etc.)
5. What tournaments are you trying to qualify for?.
6. What positions are you looking for?
7. How many players are you planning on to fill your roster?
8. Where do you practice?
9. How many times/week do you practice?
10. Do players get a weekend off each month?
11. Do players get excused absences when school functions interfere with practices/games?
12. How much start-up money is needed and what are the monthly dues?
13. What do the monthly dues include? (i.e., training sessions; actual coaching by the coaches, etc.?
14. Is the coach actually at the practices coaching the girls or is the coach's name just apply to the name of the team?
--------------------------
15. What is your college recruiting strategy? or What is your plan for getting girls a college scholarship?
---------------------------
16. If it's a Gold team: When was the last time your team qualified for the National Tournament?" (specific years)
----------------------------
Last edited by Hurricane on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hurricane

by Blender » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:55 pm

good stuff right there
Blender

by Pale Rider » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:29 am

On most of those questions...a simple yes or no shouldn't be a absolute deciding factor...
One question that can only be answered by observations...If collegiate play is the goal...do the coaches truly have a recruiting plan...that works?
Theres many great organizations out there, some that seem great also until you peel off a layer or 2...and some that are plain money makers for the Coaches...

Caveat Emptor
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:01 am

Most of this information should be understood before the tryout. Go watch the team and most of your questions can be answered before you show up at a tryout.

Having a daughter on the team is a discussion in and of itself. Some coaches are good at having kids on the team. Either because their kid is good enough to earn a spot, or the coach is good enough to let the kid compete at her level. That can only really be determined by watching the team.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 am

If a Gold team, then "When was the last time your team qualified for the National Tournament?" Make sure to get the year and or the decade that this occurred in.

Close doesn't count. Robbed by the blues sounds pathetic

There are way too many Gold teams that only serve the purpose of allowing the head coach to play God and to act as speed bumps for much better run teams
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:46 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:Most of this information should be understood before the tryout. Go watch the team and most of your questions can be answered before you show up at a tryout.

Having a daughter on the team is a discussion in and of itself. Some coaches are good at having kids on the team. Either because their kid is good enough to earn a spot, or the coach is good enough to let the kid compete at her level. That can only really be determined by watching the team.

So.....what if it's NOT understood? Then you are saying the list of questions is an excellent way of getting the information, correct?

There is nothing wrong with coaches and parents having a list of questions and answers that should be discussed at tryouts or ahead of tryouts.

Maybe the coaches could have the answers already completed and hand them out during the tryouts. Hey, what a novel idea in Travel Ball softball!

Communication and Transparency. Gotta luv it!
Hurricane

by ontheblack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Hurricane wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:Most of this information should be understood before the tryout. Go watch the team and most of your questions can be answered before you show up at a tryout.

So.....what if it's NOT understood? Then you are saying the list of questions is an excellent way of getting the information, correct?

There is nothing wrong with coaches and parents having a list of questions and answers that should be discussed at tryouts or ahead of tryouts.

Maybe the coaches could have the answers already completed and hand them out during the tryouts. Hey, what a novel idea in Travel Ball softball!

Communication and Transparency. Gotta luv it!

Some questions you ask the coach are deal killers for the coach. Asking about kids, relatives and friends on the team can be taken as questioning their integrity and/or objectiveness and may give the coach a reason to assume you will be a pain in his ass later, even if he can manage these kids correctly. AI is correct - know this before you go and waste a day.
ontheblack

by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 pm

At the 10u/12u level, maybe approaching the coach at tryouts with a laundry list of questions makes sense.
At any level, asking the costs and what they cover makes sense.
At any level above 10u, any questions about what players are rostered, who they know, and what position they play,will likely be answered with "it's none of your business, the players will play where and when the coach see's fit in order to win".
If you intend to go out to a Corona Angels tryout and approach Marty with your list of questions, please let us know ahead of time so we can send someone out to take notes and video. Thanks in advance.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Hurricane wrote:I'm not sure if this thread should be started in the Try Outs section or here. So, mods, feel free to move it there if necessary.

I thought it would be a good idea to start making a list of questions so DD's and Parents have something to fall back on as they go to tryouts for different teams this month.

It's a benefit for both the organization and prospective players to get all the information needed at each tryout and then compare. These are critical questions that all teams should disclose up front so potential players can make an educated decision. If anyone wants to add a question, then tell which question you would delete. (serious queries only please):

1. Do any of the coaches have daughters on the team? If so, what positions?
2. Do any of the coaches have relatives whose daughters will be on the team? If so, what positions?
3. Do any of the coaches have friends who have daughters on the team? If so, what positions?
4. Which year is the team? (i.e., 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, etc.)
5. What tournaments are you trying to qualify for?.
6. What positions are you looking for?
7. Where do you practice?
8. How many times/week do you practice?
9. Do players get a weekend off each month?
10. Do players get excused absences when school functions interfere with practices/games?
11. How much start-up money is needed and what are the monthly dues?
12. What do the monthly dues include? (i.e., training sessions; actual coaching by the coaches, etc.?
13. Is the coach actually at the practices coaching the girls or is the coach's name just apply to the name of the team?
--------------------------
14. What is your college recruiting strategy? or What is your plan for getting girls a college scholarship?
---------------------------
15. If it's a Gold team: When was the last time your team qualified for the National Tournament?" (specific years)
----------------------------

I would immediately cut you after question 1. You wouldn't get to 2. Or 3. If you have a problem with 1,2,or 3 feel free to run your own f&cking team.

Apparently some of think that coaches grow on trees. We coach our kids. If we didn't, your kid would NEVER play.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Wow! Why the animosity? Why are you so negative?

I think there are a lot of people who are afraid to answer the questions. Maybe something to hide? Why wouldn't any team want these answers out in the open?

These questions would NOT come from one player or parent. Of course there would be retribution. They would come from PGF or ASA as a requirement.

Just think if EVERYONE knew about these questions: Coaches, Parents, players, heads of organizations, etc. Then, it wouldn't be a surprise or an "insult" to the integrity of the coaches. It would be SOP. It would be expected.

so....what if PGF declared in their constitution that these questions must be answered by every organization and team? Would everyone quit PGF because of it?

This isn't the 20th Century. Travel Ball costs are skyrocketing with no one policing the organizations. This would be an excellent way for PGF to keep everything upfront and level.

BTW: I'm not saying a coach cannot have a daughter on the team at all. I'm saying it just should be acknowledged ahead of time. There are two (2) types of coaches who have "relatives" on the team: 1) Daddy-Ballers; and 2) Coaches who happen to have a "relative" on the team.
Hurricane

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions