Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Ranking of Fastpitch Associations

What's on your mind?

by Traecey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Is there a hierarchy to the fastpitch associations/tournaments, particularly in So Cal? I know ASA is considered the "top-ranked", but where do USSSA, TCS, PGF, fall? Our team just participated in our first world series (TCS in Reno) and I, as a parent, was very disappointed in how the tournament was run and they had terrible umps (bad calls all the way around). Thank you.
Traecey
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 pm

For So Cal.
PGF is the top, no tournaments only qualifier, then nationals.
ASA is second, a few tournaments then qualifiers then nations.
TCS third, the money machine, lots of tournaments most anyone can go to their nationals.
USSSA a few tourneys out there, but not so much. Most anyone can go to their nationals.
AFA almost no existent.

Web sites:,PGF and TCS are very user/parent friendly. The others not so much.
Is that what you are asking?? What age division?
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Safebyahare wrote:TCS third, the money machine, lots of tournaments most anyone can go to their nationals.

TCS has 2 levels. I agree the original TCS events (Sparkler, WS) rank below ASA/USA Nats. However, I'd rank TC/USA Nats and the high-level events TCS has acquired (Fireworks, Ron McD, etc) above ASA. JMHO
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm

PDad wrote:TCS has 2 levels. I agree the original TCS events (Sparkler, WS) rank below ASA/USA Nats. However, I'd rank TC/USA Nats and the high-level events TCS has acquired (Fireworks, Ron McD, etc) above ASA. JMHO

Agreed,
Age level is important in this evaluation. In the 12u and 14u divisions there is more opportunity to actually play tournaments.
Some of the best tournaments are not sanctioning bodies but organization tourneys.
As far as bad umps.,,you will see bad ones all the way up. Too bad we forget the good ones.
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 am

Surprised to hear the complaint. We did TCS WS in Reno last summer, and the umpiring was very good, as was the organization of the tournament.

To a certain degree, the ranking depends on where the Nats/WS event will be and where you are. TCS WS is Reno is a big draw for California teams, but not as much for Park City. Now that ASA is moving their Nats around, the more convenient tournaments become bigger draws for California teams (Sunnyvale, CA 16s last year and San Diego 14s this year). In other areas of the country, other sanctions hold more sway. I think USSSA is pretty strong on the East Coast.

If your criteria is level of competition and getting seen by colleges, PGF is tops, hands down. Premier division, that is. Not sure how Platinum fits into the equation, yet. Obviously a very solid option, but is it a better one for 14s than ASA in San Diego this year? Not sure.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SeeBallHitBall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 pm

If your criteria is level of competition and getting seen by colleges, PGF is tops, hands down. Premier division, that is. Not sure how Platinum fits into the equation, yet. Obviously a very solid option, but is it a better one for 14s than ASA in San Diego this year? Not sure.

That is a really good question. The first year for 14 Platinum had one out of state team I think but I suspect that will grow as the event evolves. It will be interesting to see how that plays out

I think the opening ceremonies, streaming final games and in game box scores for PGF lay over ASA. I know my oldest is ready to go back.
SeeBallHitBall

by Traecey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 am

Wow, thanks for the info all. My question related to 10U moving up to 12U in the fall. It's just a curiosity for what goes into the thinking by a coach when selecting tournaments to participate in. I believe our coaches are going to look to PGF for next year.
Traecey
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 am

SeeBallHitBall wrote:

That is a really good question. The first year for 14 Platinum had one out of state team I think but I suspect that will grow as the event evolves. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Technically, there were 2 out-of-state teams in 14Plat, although they're AZ and LV teams which makes them as local as NorCal. All 5 of the out-of-area teams that were coming for 14Plat were upgraded to 14Prem with at-large berths.

Perhaps someone that attended 14Plat and ASA/USA Nats will post their thoughts on them.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Traecey wrote:Wow, thanks for the info all. My question related to 10U moving up to 12U in the fall. It's just a curiosity for what goes into the thinking by a coach when selecting tournaments to participate in. I believe our coaches are going to look to PGF for next year.

12u is so fun and a exciting time. Well if I was a coach (I am not) I would be a flocker. I would look up last years tournaments and look to see where the best teams played. and which tourneys had the best turn outs for competition.
At this age level TCS has a tourney for every season and every holiday. Play at least 1 tourney a month and 2 friendlies.
USSSA has a few that are good. ASA may have a Thanksgiving one.
Again your coaches are looking for the best and fun ones that have a record of solid competition and participation.
I am sure you will find that 12u is a bit busier than 10u. enjoy.
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions