Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

8U travel teams?

What's on your mind?

by Pale Rider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 am

DonnieS wrote: "So we go to some different town every weekend, stay in a hotel, hang out with the best friends in the world, and then I get to play softball all weekend - and what is I am supposed to get tired of ?, honestly Dad, you must talk to some really stupid people. " And what she likes about college ball is - guess - they get to play so many games, that mean something, in such a short period of time. :roll: Out of the mouths of babes.

Cant argue with that logic...

On topic...8 is a time to learn some, but not a time for 'Hunger games' type play...let them have fun...

Off topic..If we didnt do this ...Would our kids be the same as they are now? Remember what we said about 'mysterious ways'? :D ...What would we as parents missed in our kids lives?...sights we've shared, adventures we've had...such as the Cheesecake pancakes that attacked crossing the desert 8-)
and a lot of others...

I think 'The Force' loves fastpitch also....
Last edited by Pale Rider on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:39 am

I'm just disappointed I missed the great flood of July 2014. :(
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 am

DonnieS wrote:I'm just disappointed I missed the great flood of July 2014. :(

Carefule Donnie, you could be considered down river. ;)
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 am

DonnieS wrote:I'm just disappointed I missed the great flood of July 2014. :(

LOL...trying to bury ...I mean drown that memory :D
She still blushes like a fire hydrant when I call her Rainmaker ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 am

ontheblack wrote:We all know several kids who at 8 are slated to be future a D1 POY, only to stop growing at 12, or never progress past their 10u or 12u All Star skill level.

Coaching rec with my youngest DD, I am dealing with a league that is so worried about losing kids to cheesy TB teams that they are pushing "Select" teams that will play friendlies on Sundays while playing rec on Saturdays. They want these 9 and 10 yr olds who are still playing softball, soccer and BB to pick a sport and "commit" to it. I want to take my fungo to these idiots' heads.

We are having to deal with ASA forcing us to either have select teams or have our All-Star teams demoted to 'C' level... I have heard the pros/cons and I get were they (ASA) are coming from... They are tired of losing so many girls to TB... And we aren't talking the very best ones either... They are trying to bridge the gap to keep girls in the Rec leagues to give them the TB feel and still keep the Rec leagues thriving.
B34R DOWN

by Pale Rider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Not a fan of any org telling us what we can or cant do as far as playing...within reason of course...but being forced to play to keep REC ball alive?...Sorry but why is it a kids responsibility, whose abilities or desire (especially) exceed the REC level...but are forced to play REC ball...
because why?

In the Army we'd say it was time to pop smoke...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:50 pm

In all honesty it really isn't on the kids.... It boils down to the parents for the most part... Everyone's DD is an All-Star and should play travel and be getting D1 verbals by the 5th grade...
B34R DOWN

by Pale Rider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:28 pm

B34R DOWN wrote:In all honesty it really isn't on the kids.... It boils down to the parents for the most part... Everyone's DD is an All-Star and should play travel and be getting D1 verbals by the 5th grade...

Well...outside of the insanity of getting real super serious at 8U...
BUT... playing Devils advocate...
Whether a kids parents decide go forth seek the Holy D-1 grail is their business...not some local REC leagues with some BS sanctioning as a reason they cant...
The game will weed out the ones who will and the ones who wont soon enough...

We hear that here also in baseball primarily..."wah...if all the good players go play travel ball...how will little Billy (who sits on his arse eating Little Debbies and playing Halo all day) ever be on a league manipulated team (by parents) and win a championship...?"
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm

ASA doesnt get it, but then either do many of those running rec leagues these days.

Here is my take/opinion on the ASA All Star demotion vs Select Team debate.

First off, everyone in Rec should stop worrying about the families that think their kids are good enough for travel.

LET THEM GO.

If they leave, one of the following will happening:
1. The kid will thrive.
2. The kid will struggle. Maybe now the parents will realize that the hole in Suzys swing is real . The bombs that she hit off of the kids just trying to get the ball over the plate doesnt translate to hitting a pitcher who can actual locate and move the ball. Or that while Suzy can overpower the kids who are still squishing a bug, if she lays down the middle, dad behind the backstop is gonna see the # on his kid's back alot when she turns to watch that meatball fly out.
3. The kid will be a bust, or not be able to cope with the fact that she isnt a starter.

Rec leagues need to embrace the concept of travel ball and strive to become the league that best prepares kids to play at the next level, as there is always the next level. Teach these kids to play the game correctly. Forget about how your All Stars perform and make your focus on having the best coached kids around.

The irony with ASA pushing select teams here in SoCal is that they are actually speeding up the exit of kids from rec to travel. Once these parents get a taste of playing a few TB friendlies, going back to Rec in the Spring is beneath them. It is hard enough for some kids to go back after All Stars.

The biggest challenge my kid's rec league faces now is the lack of coaching instruction. Those in charge frequently feel threatened by those who may actually understand how to teach the game. Others may just not know where to start. Regardless, ASA as usual has their head up their ass so they dont ever see the bigger picture.

b34r, are you part of a rec league board?
ontheblack

by eclipse09 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 pm

ontheblack wrote:ASA doesnt get it, but then either do many of those running rec leagues these days.

Here is my take/opinion on the ASA All Star demotion vs Select Team debate.

First off, everyone in Rec should stop worrying about the families that think their kids are good enough for travel.

LET THEM GO.

If they leave, one of the following will happening:
1. The kid will thrive.
2. The kid will struggle. Maybe now the parents will realize that the hole in Suzys swing is real . The bombs that she hit off of the kids just trying to get the ball over the plate doesnt translate to hitting a pitcher who can actual locate and move the ball. Or that while Suzy can overpower the kids who are still squishing a bug, if she lays down the middle, dad behind the backstop is gonna see the # on his kid's back alot when she turns to watch that meatball fly out.
3. The kid will be a bust, or not be able to cope with the fact that she isnt a starter.

Rec leagues need to embrace the concept of travel ball and strive to become the league that best prepares kids to play at the next level, as there is always the next level. Teach these kids to play the game correctly. Forget about how your All Stars perform and make your focus on having the best coached kids around.

The irony with ASA pushing select teams here in SoCal is that they are actually speeding up the exit of kids from rec to travel. Once these parents get a taste of playing a few TB friendlies, going back to Rec in the Spring is beneath them. It is hard enough for some kids to go back after All Stars.

The biggest challenge my kid's rec league faces now is the lack of coaching instruction. Those in charge frequently feel threatened by those who may actually understand how to teach the game. Others may just not know where to start. Regardless, ASA as usual has their head up their ass so they dont ever see the bigger picture.

b34r, are you part of a rec league board?

I totally agree. I can't believe ASA is trying to push this select team idea. This will lead to some players having a softball event 7 days a week for the spring season. A few freaks of nature will love this (see Donnie's kid), but more of them will want to forgo the rec season and want to just play on select. I don't see how this helps anyone since the player will have to play on their rec team if they want to play select. I agree that parents need to be coached up so that all kids at the rec level can learn the proper mechanics and softball basics. Maybe ASA should schedule coaching clinics on Sundays instead.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions