Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Recruitment help

What's on your mind?

by Southerncali » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 pm

My daughter has been emailing coaches but over a year now and she has had some success with getting in touch with a few. Now we have been looking into services and has anyone heard of this place: Athletes For College, LLC? THey sound good but when we ask for refrences they only send us people from other sports that has had success with them. There is a fee to use them and they said they assist in getting in contact with colleges. Any feed back is really appreciated.

Thank you fellow Bucket members
Southerncali

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Southerncali wrote:My daughter has been emailing coaches but over a year now and she has had some success with getting in touch with a few. Now we have been looking into services and has anyone heard of this place: Athletes For College, LLC? THey sound good but when we ask for refrences they only send us people from other sports that has had success with them. There is a fee to use them and they said they assist in getting in contact with colleges. Any feed back is really appreciated.

Thank you fellow Bucket members

I never heard of that one and I'm not convinced that any of them are really necessary.

I asked a college coach that was recruiting my DD during the last Surf City tourney if he had ever heard of the one we were using and he hadn't. He didn't seem interested in any of them, quite frankly. In fact he mentioned being annoyed by how often one of the most popular and expensive of those sites sent him updates on players. Maybe he'll grow to understand and like that site better, but for now...annoyed.

My advice:

- First off sit down with her and mom and try and figure out what she wants to do in college and life. If you are able to figure that out then make sure she is targeting schools where she can achieve those goals. Also make sure she targets schools in places where she would actually enjoy going, There are tons of stories of very good players abandoning their scholarships and coming home because they just don't like being there.

- Email, email, email...and make a YouTube site with some short videos of her doing good things and provide the link in the email. No videos of her doing stuff wrong. The coaches I've talked to don;t want to see that. You've got their attention for a short time...make the most of it.

- Make sure grades come first and have her take her SAT and ACT early and often to try and get the best scores you can. Get a tutor if necessary.

- Go to the target schools' camps. Yes this can be a money grab, but IMO there's no better way to get your kid in front of the coaches and have their full attention. Even if your DD isn't given an offer while you're there the coaches will be way more likely to come and scout you after they get to know your DD and her abilities/potential first hand.

- Did I mention emailing? Email, email, email...

Good luck. It's not easy.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Go right here, http://realtimeathletes.com/heybucket.php this site is amazing
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Southerncali » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Thank you. She wants to play college softball but further her education in being a teacher. She has been targeting D2 and D3 schools. Been one of the top hitters for her travel team and we usually place high at all tournaments. Came back from Colorado with a 3rd place and placed 2nd in TCS this past week. Hopefully the future is bright.
Southerncali

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Southerncali wrote:Thank you. She wants to play college softball but further her education in being a teacher. She has been targeting D2 and D3 schools. Been one of the top hitters for her travel team and we usually place high at all tournaments. Came back from Colorado with a 3rd place and placed 2nd in TCS this past week. Hopefully the future is bright.

What year will she graduate? There should be a lot of recruiting going at the D2 and D3 level still, even if she is a 2015.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Southerncali » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm

She is a 2015.
Southerncali

by COURAGE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Great advice fastpitchdad05.
Also make sure the wording in the subject line of your daughters emails is EYE CATCHING. What stands out over the other 300+ emails that coach receives in a week. Make sure your daughter is filling out the Recruiting Questionnaires for all of the colleges worth sending emails to. The hundreds of colleges I get to speak with each season, many have told me, "If the player can not take the time to research my school (Showing that in their email) and fill out our questionnaire, the player must not really be that interested in our college".

Phone Calls: have her make those phone calls. 95% of the time the coaches never answer. But by leaving a strong voice mail reminding the coach of the exact dates you sent those emails and when you call back and leave another voicemail telling them again when you sent an email and also remind them of the date and time of your last call. They will be hearing your name not just reading it. By having the date exact date of your email, the coaches curiosity will lead them to looking it up and reading it. Our brains remember names far better when we hear them said to us.

Go OLD SCHOOL. Actually write a letter, put it in an envelope with your individual profile sheet and mail it to the coach. That's personal, something our society forgets about with all of our Modern communication technology.

Best of Luck in your journey..
COURAGE
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cereal Kid » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Hate to say this if their is certain schools your dd is interested inn. Some times it helps playing on a team that sends a lot of players to some schools. Like the old saying says its not what you know its Who you know.
Cereal Kid

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:38 pm

COURAGE wrote:Great advice fastpitchdad05.
Also make sure the wording in the subject line of your daughters emails is EYE CATCHING. What stands out over the other 300+ emails that coach receives in a week. Make sure your daughter is filling out the Recruiting Questionnaires for all of the colleges worth sending emails to. The hundreds of colleges I get to speak with each season, many have told me, "If the player can not take the time to research my school (Showing that in their email) and fill out our questionnaire, the player must not really be that interested in our college".

Phone Calls: have her make those phone calls. 95% of the time the coaches never answer. But by leaving a strong voice mail reminding the coach of the exact dates you sent those emails and when you call back and leave another voicemail telling them again when you sent an email and also remind them of the date and time of your last call. They will be hearing your name not just reading it. By having the date exact date of your email, the coaches curiosity will lead them to looking it up and reading it. Our brains remember names far better when we hear them said to us.

Go OLD SCHOOL. Actually write a letter, put it in an envelope with your individual profile sheet and mail it to the coach. That's personal, something our society forgets about with all of our Modern communication technology.

Best of Luck in your journey..

Thanks Courage! And those are all great suggestions that I left out.

Speaking of Courage...where did this Courage 14U team come from that's dominating the 14U PGF Platinum division? I can't figure out how they didn't qualify for Premier. Maybe they picked up some key players for PGF after they accepted their at-large bid to Platinum,

At any rate...they're well on their way to finishing in the Top 2 and if they keep playing like this they will probably take it all.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Xtremefastpitch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:25 pm

If your going the recruiting service route look up NSR. National Scouting Report
Joe Butler
Xtreme Fastpitch
State Director
(619) 823-1553
Xtremefastpitch
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions