Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Hitting advice

What's on your mind?

by Lench » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

Whether the hips lead or not, the bat seems to be getting around in a hurry. The best swings look like the hips open up a tad bit before or simultaneously with the bat meeting the ball. Is that about right?
Lench

by Mark H » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm

My first goal was to get you to start comparing your thoughts and everyone else's hitting opinions to video of elite hitters. Mission accomplished. Be skeptical.

As to your hip question elite hitters rotate the hips as part of their forward shift. Some call it forward by turning. At heel plant the shoulders begin to turn as the front hip joint quickly stabilizes. Of course there are exceptions. Bagwell for instance. But most rotate the hips as part of their forward shift.

If you will find a clip you think disagrees with what I just said I'd be happy to discuss it.
Mark H

by Lench » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Makes sense. Not so stressed about her opening up. Working on the swing, and it looks good. And thanks for the input.

Exactly why we dig Heybucket!
Lench

by Mark H » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Glad you're happy. Please continue to be skeptical about anyone's hitting advice using lots of video of elite hitters to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I've only found two teachers I can't dismiss using this method. Post a clip sometime for comment and I'd be happy to tell you what I see.
Mark H

by Mark H » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.
Mark H

by Mark H » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 am

Across the top of this page I see six pictures of fastpitch players. The orange and black hitter second from the right is almost in a great contact position. Her left forearm needs to be closer to parallel to the bat at contact for best bat speed. She may have just been a little late on this one or maybe she was trying to go the other way to move a base runner.

To get the lead arm parallel to the bat at contact she could have either started slightly earlier or she could have kept her lead arm closer to the chest causing wrist uncocking to happen sooner. (This points out the problem with pushing the hands forward during the swing as it delays and slows down wrist uncocking/bat whip.)

In any case, waist down, her position looks right to me if that helps in terms of your daughter's hip rotation.
Mark H

by Eric F » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Hips leading the swing is correct. This guy will tell you the same thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZgBZzqhvxk

If the hands and/or shoulders are moving forward before the rear hip, it's a pushing swing, and not what happens in the pattern of high-level hitters.

The hip pulls the shoulders, which pull the hands, which whip the barrel through contact...

The big part of the equation is getting rid of the slop/slack in the connection between hip and hands, which can be challenging for long, lean, flexible young girls to feel and execute. Another important part of the equation is proper hand use. The hands are the pivot point for the rotation of the bat, rather than the arms swinging the bat around the spine.

This is my favorite example to show the hand pivot point...

An important thing to notice is that the hands stay connected to the movement of the rear shoulder early in the swing, pivoting the bat to the plane of the pitch, until the bat is whipped by the hands through contact. The hands do not loop around the body, they move in a short path out from the rear shoulder.
Eric F
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Agreed.
Mark H

by Eric F » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:47 am

Oh...but wait...these are baseball players, not softball players! The softball swing is DIFFERENT!!!

No, it's not. Hitting a ball with a stick is the same has hitting a ball with a stick.
Eric F
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FoothillHitting » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:41 am

Folks - all great points around the swing here. A couple of things I would like to weigh in on. First off, I would start by stating that I have been teaching hitting and "rotational" mechanics for over 8 years now and the controversy and evolution of the theory has drastically evolved over that same period of time. Eric F, you are totally correct - whether you are swinging at a baseball, a softball or a pinata....the swing is the swing, what varies is the axis and swing plane. I would also suggest that there is no such thing as the hips opening up "too fast", what should be cautionary is what is happening with the hands and shoulders at the same time. If you would like to send me a video clip I would be happy to mark it up and provide some commentary free of charge. Hope that your dd has much success.

Get a good pitch to hit.....

Coach Tony
FoothillHitting
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions