Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Cyber Bullying of athete

What's on your mind?

by ice_67 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:30 am

This story ran in our paper this week. It is scary to think of the length people will go to when they feel wronged. Many of us have daughters that excel in their sports. Let's hope we don't encounter this type of jealousy and ignorance. :cry:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... reptu.html
ice_67

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:42 am

Bullying is no joke. My dd had to deal with this last year. We went to the police and filed a report along with giving them her cell phone to copy down the texts she had received with the phone numbers.

Her grades dropped and she also suffered when it came to softball, actually any sport. She just did not want to do anything.

She was going to transfer schools seeing that the school did nothing to protect her, but decided to stay and prove that she could not be chased away. This year she is doing much better and some of the girls that were bullying her don't even think about it this year.

As it turned out, it was a great lesson for her and something she can always draw upon when times get bad.
Sftbll4ever

by qwikvr6 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:14 am

It's amazing how cruel kids can be. :cry:
qwikvr6

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 am

qwikvr6 wrote:It's amazing how cruel kids can be. :cry:

Look at the bright side: It prepares them for marriage (that is if they're boys).

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:
qwikvr6 wrote:It's amazing how cruel kids can be. :cry:

Look at the bright side: It prepares them for marriage (that is if they're boys).

John

You my friend walk the razors edge!

How so? Did women learn to read recently and no one told me????

John
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't find any of that funny. If you mean that my child is now ready to be threatened and beaten in her married life than you are correct, she is ready. If you mean that she is ready to be belittled and have continuous verbal attacks, again, you are correct she is prepared for marriage.

I'm glad my dd is ready for marriage and hopefully now she will know that seclusion and in some rare cases suicide is not the option, but to find help.

Until you have to deal with this, and hopefully you will not, you will understand that this is not a laughing matter.

Sorry to be so serious about it, but it is something that I am glad did not go to the levels as some of the other kids that kill others or themselves.
Sftbll4ever

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't find any of that funny. If you mean that my child is now ready to be threatened and beaten in her married life than you are correct, she is ready. If you mean that she is ready to be belittled and have continuous verbal attacks, again, you are correct she is prepared for marriage.

I'm glad my dd is ready for marriage and hopefully now she will know that seclusion and in some rare cases suicide is not the option, but to find help.

Until you have to deal with this, and hopefully you will not, you will understand that this is not a laughing matter.

Sorry to be so serious about it, but it is something that I am glad did not go to the levels as some of the other kids that kill others or themselves.

First of all, the intended point of my original comment was how cruel wives are to husbands. Not the other way around. Poor husbands. Ha Ha. Second, there is little that I am unwilling to joke about. Others have different thresholds. No problem. That's reality. I have made many jokes about spousal abuse in my house and every time my wife was the one doing the beating. There is little that I take more seriously or find more sickening than a husband beating on his wife or vice versa.

Sorry I offended you. That was not my intent.

John
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:39 pm

John I have known of you (never met in person) for a long time and understand that you meant no harm, and I am sorry for the way I came off.

It is just hard once it happens to your own and how useless a 12 yr old child can feel. How scared they are to come forward and how after coming forward the schools still do nothing even after promises.

Since it was my child that had this happen to her, I am a little touchy about it. No one wants to see their strong child suddenly become helpless and afraid to even do day to day things.

Sorry John!!!

(Added) A good thing too was the coach that we had last year knew of what was going on and supported her.
Sftbll4ever

by Cannonball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Cyber Bullying is not a joke as many on you might have seen from a case we have here locally in the St. Louis area. I'm sure you have all seen the case where the mother of a young lady created a fake person (male) to befriend a young lady on a Myspace Account. Long story short, this young lady committed suicide. It often makes the news here and recently, we were herard in the news that since MySpace is stationed in California, federal authorities are looking to see if they can bring charges against the parent in Missouri. Many communities are also implimenting laws to regulate this. We have an officer in our county that has, as their job, to track these issues. I'm hoping that we aren't the exception to the rule. Take care.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by Kat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:29 pm

Sometimes you wonder about these parents who not only advocate this type of behavior but take part in it.

My sons were both bullied at school, one quit school because of it. The other one we moved to a new school and he couldn't of been happier. We had called the Sheriff department many times but the harassments just kept going on. He prospered and excelled in the new school. He was able to enter a program that allowed him to go to the community college for his junior and senior year in high school and he graduated high school and got his AA degree at the same time. Which enabled him to enter a university as a junior on paper.

My DD was never harrassed at the small school in town until we decided she would leave the local basketball team and go into town for a more competitive team. The local team she was on was just not a good fit, they wanted to do rec mainly and she didn't. You cannot believe the backlash that was incurred by that. I had parents calling my house and threatening to jump me in the parking lot of the school. The sent harrassing mail to my home and phone calsl galore!! Finally we moved to another location in the same city and changed our phone number. The girls on her old team would give her a hard time on the playground and we are talking 5th graders!!!! She stayed one more year and then she transferred to a school in town. That was 4 years ago. So for the last 4 years I have driven the 27 miles to school and back home 54 miles round trip (we are contractors that work out of our house) and then back again in the evening, most times we keep it to two trips a day but on occasion we have had to do three. But its all worth it!! She has nicer kids, who appreciate her abilities, more opportunities academically etc.
Kat

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions