Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

High School Stats

What's on your mind?

by exD1dad » Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 am

Jtat there's a simple explanation & it's a combination of 2 things
1)a scorekeeper is a student
2)the coach is an idiot
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:55 am

rfmnz wrote:
jtat32 wrote:Was just looking at the XXXXX XXXXX stat leaders and noticed that one team owned the top five spots for B.A. They are .946, .917, .895, .882, and .778. All have a reasonable # of plate appearances. Taking a look at the school's top 9 batters by plate appearances, the lowest BA in that group is .517. How can they be averaging less than 10 runs a game, and how can they be only 8-6?

What site can you see these stats?

All HS teams have a MaxPreps site. Many enter box scores and record team stats. Generally, this is done by one of the team parents, so this is where the inconsistencies arise.

I need to own a mistake - I should not have mentioned the specific section. That makes it too easy to track it down to specific kids that are listed by name. It isn't the kids' fault if there are errors in the reporting. I will edit my posts to remove the section name. If those that quoted me (or one of the mods) would do the same in the quoted portion, I would appreciate it.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:10 am

Sam wrote:The fact that they were HS stats is irrelevant. The same thing happens in TB. You don't know how many kids we see that hit .500 in TB, but couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat in HS games.

I don't see many TB teams listing stats, unless you are talking about college profile numbers. If that's what you're referencing, then that's just a given. I just saw a kid that I absolutely know is about 4.0 home - first. On her profile, they have her listed as 2.92. Maybe the extra 4 inches they gave her on her height helped her stride length? :lol:
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu May 08, 2014 11:26 am

jtat32 wrote:I need to own a mistake - I should not have mentioned the specific section. That makes it too easy to track it down to specific kids that are listed by name. It isn't the kids' fault if there are errors in the reporting. I will edit my posts to remove the section name. If those that quoted me (or one of the mods) would do the same in the quoted portion, I would appreciate it.

Looks like a mod deleted my post instead of just editing the quoted portion as you requested.

Stats were only posted for 9 games and haven't been posted since 3/21, presumably because someone figured out it wasn't correct. I recall seeing something about this earlier and wondered whether it was done as a prank.

It looked like they credited a hit for just about every AB that wasn't a strike out.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

PDad wrote:
jtat32 wrote:
Stats were only posted for 9 games and haven't been posted since 3/21, presumably because someone figured out it wasn't correct. I recall seeing something about this earlier and wondered whether it was done as a prank.

It looked like they credited a hit for just about every AB that wasn't a strike out.

You could be right about why they are not updating. I assumed it was because their offense tailed off in the last 3. That was our Stat Mom's trick last year - if her DD didn't hit, stats wouldn't get entered.

In any case, it sounds like ExD1 has some first-hand knowledge, or at least has the most plausible explanation (student scorekeeper). The school paper's accounts of our games are always interesting to read, since the reporters generally have no experience with the sport.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Sam wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Sam wrote:The fact that they were HS stats is irrelevant. The same thing happens in TB. You don't know how many kids we see that hit .500 in TB, but couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat in HS games.

Maybe it's the coaching... :lol:

Well...they all have $350 bats and hitting coaches....and they practice 6 hours on Sundays with their TB icons....and they play meaningless games all year long.....it could be the HS coaching.....or something else. :shock:

Just giving you a hard time, Sam. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's not the HS coach's fault that these girls are struggling. You can either hit or you can't...IMO. Sooner or later, with enough reps, the above average hitter gets theirs.

Besides that, I could be wrong, but I doubt you are one of those HS coaches (whether it's needed or not) that tries to change a player's hitting style when they have a hitting coach.

I could never hit well (except slow pitch and that doesn't count). As a hitter I was a great outfielder. :oops:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rfmnz » Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 pm

PDad wrote:It looked like they credited a hit for just about every AB that wasn't a strike out.

You see a lot of these same discrepancies on Rec teams that use the popular app, GameChanger.

Scoring ROE's and FC's as Hits. SMH..
rfmnz

by Sam » Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm

The discussion is of apples and oranges. HS scorekeepers are being broad-brushed as being incompetent, while the TB scorekeepers are being set aside from rec ball scorekeepers. The team referenced in this post is a lower division HS team.....in essence, a rec ball team. The higher division HS teams, on a whole, have very good scorekeepers.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Most TB coaches & parents who don't do stat's will always point out that if a parent does the stats then their DD always has one of the highest averages or the lowest ERA.

In years past when I saw TB stats on player profiles that make me laugh out loud now (usually the home to first speed of a player I know) I was like What the ??? & then realized these parents probably cheat on their taxes too :D Now I believe that college coaches know what the real deal is or they rely on legitimate camps like OnDeck

Maxpreps is great with accurate reporting (IMHO) especially if you have committed players on your team for side by side comparison as is pointstreak for PGF, however just like umpires who are human there are mistakes & because stats can be such a touchy issue I've seen a lot of parents (myself included in years past) get their panties in a bunch over stats.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:13 pm

exD1dad wrote:Most TB coaches & parents who don't do stat's will always point out that if a parent does the stats then their DD always has one of the highest averages or the lowest ERA.

In years past when I saw TB stats on player profiles that make me laugh out loud now (usually the home to first speed of a player I know) I was like What the ??? & then realized these parents probably cheat on their taxes too :D Now I believe that college coaches know what the real deal is or they rely on legitimate camps like OnDeck

Maxpreps is great with accurate reporting (IMHO) especially if you have committed players on your team for side by side comparison as is pointstreak for PGF, however just like umpires who are human there are mistakes & because stats can be such a touchy issue I've seen a lot of parents (myself included in years past) get their panties in a bunch over stats.

All I got out of this is that our buddy exD1dad is secure in his masculinity and is okay wearing panties...even if they bunch up. :lol:
Last edited by fastpitchdad05 on Fri May 09, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions