Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

High School Stats

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
PDad wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:The other one I like is the "lost in the sun". See scorers score this as hit on an extremely routine fly balls. That is not the point of the "lost in the sun". The ultimate guidance is ordinary effort.
ORDINARY EFFORT is the effort that a fielder of average skill at a position in that league or classification of leagues should exhibit on a play, with due consideration given to the condition of the field and weather conditions.

So a 10 yr old on a tough fly ball in the sun, one that most 10 yr olds would drop, go ahead score that a hit. An 18yr old, applying that same standard you look absolutely goofy. By 18s, for the sun to "cause an error" it had better be a rocket shot, right at them, coming out of the sun to the fielders. Otherwise most other 18s would adjust and make the play. Hence ordinary effort.

I agree ordinary effort needs to be applied based on the level of play. Besides age, you shouldn't expect the same level of play at 18U rec as high-level TB. Unfortunately, it is highly subjective to whatever the scorekeeper/coach considers to be average skill.

NCAA scoring rules spell out in numerous places where ordinary effort applies and this isn't one of them. If OE applies across the board to every scoring rule, it wouldn't need to be mentioned so often.

No error is charged to a fielder in the following situations:
14.22.1 When a ball is misplayed because it is lost in the sun or lights, blown by the wind, or the fielder slips and falls—even if contact is made with the ball.

I think you are reading the lack of ordinary effort as meaning something. I am reading it as ordinary effort applies every where.

It's kind of odd the NCAA doesn't define ordinary effort in their rules. The comment below OBR's definition indicates it only applies where it is called out.

Rule 2.00 (Ordinary Effort) Comment: This standard, called for several times in the Official Scoring Rules (e.g., Rules 10.05(a)(3), 10.05(a)(4), 10.05(a)(6), 10.05(b)(3) (Base Hits); 10.08(b) (Sacrifices); 10.12(a)(1) Comment, 10.12(d)(2) (Errors); and 10.13(a), 10.13(b) (Wild Pitches and Passed Balls)) and in the Official Baseball Rules (e.g., Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly)), is an objective standard in regard to any particular fielder.

By definition, OE isn't applicable in unusual situations that don't occur often enough to ascertain they are normally handled by a "fielder of average skill at a position in that league..."

Allowances are provided for when there is sun, and the sun can be seen as directly causing an issue in fielding the ball. Still if ordinary effort can offset the issue the sun has caused, most players would alter their course to the ball and make the play. it is only balls for which there is not time to adjust that should be considered as "caused by the sun."

The rule says "lost in the sun" not "caused by the sun." I wouldn't invoke it merely because the sun is in the fielder's field of vision. I also wouldn't invoke it if the player momentarily lost it in the sun and then recovered to be in position to make the catch with OE.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sittingonabucket » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:50 am

PDAD, you are super helpful, and I, for one, appreciate it.
sittingonabucket

by jonriv » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:07 am

My pet peave about HS stats has been the inconsistency . There can be several versions of the same game(each team's book, local papers etc). I have always thought there should be some "official" scorer- local newspaper or something

Just my opinion :D
jonriv

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions