Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

High School Stats

What's on your mind?

by Pale Rider » Sun May 11, 2014 10:41 am

PDad wrote:
BAM2 wrote: Heard about a internet picture circulating with Pale Rider in a Camo Thong !!

For God's sake, don't post it here!

If youre skeered...say youre skeered :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:
BAM2 wrote: Heard about a internet picture circulating with Pale Rider in a Camo Thong !!

Oh no...what did I start?

For the love of humanity! :o
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:35 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:

Oh no...what did I start?

For the love of humanity! :o

HEY PALE RIDER,
Is that the new Evo shield you sent it for production?
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon May 12, 2014 11:20 am

That's just my jock... ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sittingonabucket » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 pm

last year was my first year of keeping stats for the high school. used Maxpreps.

I got a lesson by fire, that's for sure. Forget about my 10 p.m. after the game mistakes and mistyping, biggest issue I had were parents railing on me on what was a BOE and what was a hit. I became the most unpopular guy in mayberry. I started the year out pretty lax, generally leaning towards the hitter, but after a few really bad teams we played, it all got skewed. Then trying to figure out what was a BOE and what was a hit, and what was just stupid, got difficult.

so now, I still keep the stats, as well as another dad, we cross reference them, decide what's what, then enter it. we started that about 1/2 way through last year.

the big advantage of Maxpreps, like was said earlier, our previous high school coach was literally just making stuff up and sending it into the paper. I asked him about it as it was obvious some of the doubles and even triples didn't exist and he just said he had certain girls he wanted to get into the paper.

He also liked to keep everything a secret so he could argue the all district stuff

Maxpreps is great because it's totally transparent. Just be prepared to have each game scrutinized. Not a bad thing. just need thick skin.

if everyone used maxpreps, it would be a wail of a lot easier to cross check
sittingonabucket

by CheckWriter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

You can still cook the books on MaxPreps. Just look at some of the numbers, they just don't add up.

DW kept the books for a couple of years in HS. She gave the book to the coach every day and she would sometimes change it a bit here & there. Said she was too hard on DD. Coach entered all the data in MaxPreps herself.

There were some parents that thought if the ball was hit - even a fly or a ground out - it was a hit. Makes perfect sense when you think about it, DD hit the ball so it's a hit!

Coach has a college DII National Championship ring and is still in the top 10 in many career hitting categories so we got lucky with our high school experience. She stopped coaching HS because her oldest DD started playing 12U TB. Lucky she was there while DDs were playing.

Heard all kinds of variations of practices from various TB team mates' HS coaches. Including loading everything at the end of the season so they couldn't be scouted and could make the numbers just a bit higher than the competition for league awards.

Haven't looked there for a LONG time. Don't miss it. Was entertaining at the time, though.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 pm

My favorite was the guy who scored "fielder's choice" so many times on so many opposing hitters - not sure what the choice was - when there was no one on base so many of the times. Did I mention his daughter was the pitcher ?
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sittingonabucket » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:23 pm

in defense, i guess, of Maxpreps, they made a lot of headway last year.

for instance at the beginning of the year, the singles, doubles, and triples, didn't have to equal the number of hits. They fixed that.

RBI's were the same thing. so they are making progress.

I asked their i.t. guys to at least fix AB's so there's a double check when you have walks and stuff. Made a couple of mistakes last year there and got grilled by parents. I also wish they would add pop ups and ground outs as a column.

base on error versus hits is the big bug in the woodpile for me. I watch such bad softball it's difficult to discern what's a BOE and what's just a really really bad player. :-)
sittingonabucket

by exD1dad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

I laughed when a team in our league had 21 hits & only scored 1 run, yeah OK :lol:
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sittingonabucket » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 am

for us novices, I wish Maxpreps would publish a standard for BOE and HIt.

At first I was told if it hit the glove, it was an error.

then i was told if a reasonable player could make the play and didn't it was an error. So, for high school i was told if the girl used her backhand and dropped it, it was a hit because no reasonable high school player should be expected to use her back hand.

I had two plays where the defensive player was so fat she couldn't bend over to pick up the ball and it rolled into the outfield. Inside the park home run??

i had a centerfielder that was afraid of the ball, so she would let it bounce in front of her and pick it up versus trying to catch it. I guess that's a hit.

we need two other stats defensive apathy and unathletic play
sittingonabucket

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions