Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Facemasks

What's on your mind?

by Pale Rider » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 am

Not our decision actually...Softball has set the standards for bats. Per another post on here I think some manufacturers want them dumber....but the market decides... Louisville slugger sold out of 2014 Xenos in Colorado....didn't see one of the bats mentioned sold....
Watching a DVR game right now...GA vs LSU...GA coaches kids pitching..she has on a mask...and most of LSU and GA batters have on masks..wonder why batting masks (mandatory in most associations) are accepted...and fielders masks are frowned on?.....
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:45 am

Pale Rider wrote:Not our decision actually...Softball has set the standards for bats. Per another post on here I think some manufacturers want them dumber....but the market decides... Louisville slugger sold out of 2014 Xenos in Colorado....didn't see one of the bats mentioned sold....
Watching a DVR game right now...GA vs LSU...GA coaches kids pitching..she has on a mask...and most of LSU and GA batters have on masks..wonder why batting masks (mandatory in most associations) are accepted...and fielders masks are frowned on?.....

I watched the Yankees and Red Sox last night. The only guys wearing masks were the catcher an umpire.

It only takes one play, one tragedy, one law suit to change the minds of the idiots running these organizations.

The parents of young kids are going to stop letting their kids pitch. Have fun with softball in the future....it will be a modified version of Over The Line.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 am

Just a bunch of candy ass sissies huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_helmet
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 am

What was the question?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachjwb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:29 pm

A sad story from the weekend ... can you imagine being the parents or coach of this young man ... http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2 ... /131209968
coachjwb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Can't even acknowledge that it sucks for the kid and the parents?
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 am

Acknowledged. The chance of my kid getting hurt on a baseball field is near zero, she does not go on them.

My kid and everyone of her 30-40 friends have played for 12 years, at the highest levels of the sport. They have never played with a mask and not a single injury. It feels perfectly safe. They worked on their glove skills. Were they afraid of the ball at times? Yes. They worked through it. Many went on to play D1 ball, and still love the game, played at the highest level. Many many many times as many injuries every year from ankles, knees, wrists. But no, we going to focus on face smashing incidents.

By the way, I had a chance to ask several of them. They like the no masks on the batting helmet. They think the kids that go no mask are tough. When they pitch to a kid with no mask their is definitely an intimidation factor.

The kids we did see wear masks. They ended up reinforcing their fear of the ball. Never learning to trust their leather. They bounced out, or topped out, of the sport freshman year of high school when the speed of the game got serious and the players got aggressive. The upper levels of the sport is not for everyone. It is going to naturally select the more competitive.

It turns out there is a death worse than the one eteamz suffered. I realize you guys will not stop. I mean hell Ralph Nader is still carrying on about some crazy safety danger endlessly. He made a pretty decent living on it and turned "the cause" into a presidential campaign. I can see it now, "Jonriv for Boring Heybucket President - Tireless droning about kids getting their face smashed at D3 games"

Perhaps you have not noticed, this place emptied out long ago. I am sure you are more than happy to take silence as agreement. The reality is that no one cares. They are fine with you "winning" this debate, as long as they are no longer have to suffer the pain of being drug into a conversation with you.

So hear you go. Despite all the reasonable evidence that says a kid is relatively safe playing ball, I have changed my stance on this issue. I now agree with you that masks should be mandatory, lest some kid get their face smashed in. I declare, masks are deemed, herby and for to wit, fully accepted.

From here forward no on shall ever:
- call anyone wearing a mask a sissy,
- or point out that they appear deathly afraid of the ball,
- or suggest that if they worked on their glove skills they may not need that massive piece of goofy looking plastic, with 3 inch wide hunks of plastic and 2 inch wide peep holes.
- or suggest if the ball is getting hit to hard for little suzy, this may not be the sport for suzy, maybe she should move over to slowpitch or soccer.

Now that we are all in agreement, maybe we let someone besides President jonriv bore people for a while. If nothing else our newly chosen path should bring a change of pace around here.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am

Back when I first starting playing fastpitch fear wasn't talked about much because major facial injuries were minimal because the balls weren't so Frickin hard. When they started using Dudleys, Dreamseams ect. the game changed. Bats were denting and more injuries from balls started increasing. Bats these days are not the problem, it's the croquet balls they use!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 am

I don't remember saying "madatory" :?

All I ever mentioned was what I experienced. D never wore a mask on the filed(nor would she) but kept wearing a facemask on her batting helmet since that was what she was used too. Only one girl without one on her team now. No players on her team wear one in the field
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:06 am

jonriv wrote:I don't remember saying "madatory" :?

All I ever mentioned was what I experienced. D never wore a mask on the filed(nor would she) but kept wearing a facemask on her batting helmet since that was what she was used too. Only one girl without one on her team now. No players on her team wear one in the field

Can't even acknowledge that it sucks for the kid and the parents?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions