Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Facemasks

What's on your mind?

by coachjwb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:31 pm

I am new here and still figuring out the site. I am sure this has been discussed here in the past, but where do folks stand on facemasks for pitchers (and potentially corner infielders)? When, if ever, will they be required by the sanctioning bodies in travel ball or high school, and when will all college coaches accept them and not "hold them against" recruits. We're seeing more and more of them as the age groups who wore them when they were younger reaches the college level, but is it going to take a tragedy before they are required?
coachjwb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm

jonriv will be here in a few minutes. he must be away from his computer.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06 pm

P Dad is pretty good at big data. Maybe he can post links to previous discussions.

In the mean time, just scroll down the main page and you can read the threads with Stacy Nuveman in the title and with Evoshield in the title.

Basically same points, arguments and opinions.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:07 am

In the three years dd has been in college, I think I have only seen 3-4 fielders wearing masks. All were pitchers except one third baseman.( this is in diii). It was noticed by players and parents alike. I would think it will become more common since it has become more prevelant at the younger levels. We has a pitcher coming in next year who wears one in hs-curious to see what happens.

I do not think they should be mandatory

On a side note AI, after seeing so many batters hit in the face ask down in Florida, I have not seen one since??? Perhaps it was an aboration or the result of too many indoor practices
jonriv

by coachjwb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:19 am

Ahh thanks ... I see that thread now, and did skim through it. I'm not saying they they should be mandated at the college level when the players are adults, but I do think they should at the 18-U level and below, and I wish like crazy that college coaches wouldn't look down on them. I think that we as parents and coaches have the responsibility to keep our youth safe, and I can't imagine having such a thing happen to my own daughter or a player I coached. My daughter was a D3 college pitcher and never wore one, pretty much because it others weren't wearing them when she came up, but I can't tell you how many times over the years I saw her almost take one to the face. I do think they will be mandated at some point, likely at all levels, and I am afraid it may unfortunately take a tragedy for that to be finalized. As the other thread mentions, there are more and more players coming up through the ranks wearing them at some of the top schools in the country, and that will help a lot.
coachjwb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 am

Pitchers don't need masks. The bats need to be normalized (toned back down to wood bat levels). Problem solved.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:00 pm

...dumb down the bats...Pitchers parent statement?
Back to to the slap / bunt 1 hit games...
Arguably improved hitting is part of the recent 'blow up' of popularity in fast pitch ball...
So instead of keeping the game lively by providing protection...we'll use dead bats?

Be like NA$CAR using Prius's to save money on safety eqpt...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Pale Rider wrote:...dumb down the bats...Pitchers parent statement?
Arguably improved hitting is part of the recent 'blow up' of popularity in fast pitch ball...
So instead of keeping the game lively by providing protection...we'll use dead bats?

It has already been done. It's called restrictor plates.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Pale Rider » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Well...just as an FYI...They don't slow'em down by a 1/2, or castrate them like a wood performance bat would...
The mask thing has beaten to death, resurrected and beat to death again...
Me personally...Mine wears one when shes at 3rd...has already saved her from facial reconstruction surgery...or worse
Mandatory at collegiate level...NO...But if I was a high end college coach with a pitcher who is gonna take us to the WCWS...You better believe...I'm gonna 'encourage' her to protect her, and my (and the Universities) investment...

They've already limited the current bats performance standards...the pitcher vs pitcher, bunt duels are boring as hell...
Had several pitchers parents decry the evil bats and want much bigger fields to boot...and move it back to 40 ft...then again his kid was playing OK and Baylor...But make using shaved / deliberatley altered bats a criminal offense and a forever ban to ASA, NCAA, PGF etc competition...

I work at Talladega on race weekends...As a Renta Cop...Ive been within 20 yards of the track when the cars are on it...
You really don't get a sense of the actual speed until you see them in person...
The goal is to keep them under 200 mph in the draft...not to protect the drivers necessarily...(they make new drivers) Its (hopefully) to keep the cars out of the stands...
One year Rusty Wallace took a car out with no plate...was running 246-250 down back stretch...which isn't the fastest part of the track...the tri-oval is actually faster...Got out of the car shaking his head...said there was no way he'd drive that in a race situation...Ever been to 'dega?...One BIG ASS place...213 acres just INSIDE the infield...Trucks don't run a plate...enough aero drag to slow them...
I'm in Talladega Nights actually...was there while they were filming it...The partying they did there is how it got its name...it was called 'A NASCAR movie" when they started filming...

Saw Porsche set the closed track speed record also...Jay Leno was there...he has one of the Porsches...You have to be invited to buy one...They wont sell them to just anyone...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Pale Rider wrote:...dumb down the bats...Pitchers parent statement?

College baseball has survived the dumbing down and use of wood bats. MLB players have never used anything else.

The bats create artificial hitters. The comination of the hot bats and vastly improved swings brought about by the hitting coach explosion has made the circle a dangerous place to be. I would argue that the improvement in hitters has made the hot bats unnecessary.

Are you saying that girls really cant hit unless they are aided by artificially enhanced bats?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions