Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Facemasks

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:13 am

Pdad. Keep the carlin avatar. It's you!!! I always feel like george himself is ridiculing me :D
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 am

For me, any post in "The Pub" or a good dressing down of some over dramatic softball parent new to HB, from Tyler Durden served as a guarantee that all was going to be fine in world.

The razor sharp wit, punching himself in the face. Definitely missed.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am

Where did he go?? He was fun!
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 am

Same thing that happens to all the Tyler Durdens of the world. They burn hot, take us on a trail through some crazy crap, and then turn out just to be a figment of our racing minds. But it was fun.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 am

Either that or his daughter stopped playing :D
jonriv

by Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:11 am

Settle down boys. All is well.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Settle down boys. All is well.

Good to see you're "alive", Tyler.

Out of respect I punched myself in the face over and over this morning. You know you've hit a high point in life when you do that and your wife just glances over briefly, rolls her eyes and continues getting ready for work as if there were "nothing to see here". :?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Jayhawk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:29 am

My daughter is a college junior and had never considered wearing one her entire career. After Christmas break just two or three days into practice this January she took a one hop bouncer during a drill off the turf at an indoor practice. It broke her nose in three places and required surgery a few days later.

The school's athletic trainers ordered and are requiring her to wear a mask from now on. They say it has something to do with the insurance but I think that is probably just a ruse to get her to wear the mask. (although the school did have an insurance that picked up all the expenses associated with the injury that our families medical insurance did not)

There are three other pitchers in the program and none of them wear a mask.

She recovered quickly enough that she missed no games. She got used to wearing the mask pretty much immediately. She had a good first two years but is having a great season this year. (leading her conference in ERA and showing up on a few national leaderboards in a few categories)

I do have more peace of mind because there was always that nagging thought in the back of my mind that something catastrophic could happen. Back when we were in 16's we were at an indoor tournament when we witnessed a life altering ball hit to the face of a pitcher. (it was on a field we were getting ready to come onto) That pitcher suffered numerous broken facial bones and had several surgeries afterward. She never considered coming back.

As both the incident we saw was at an indoor tournament and my daughters injury was while indoor I always wondered if that played a role. The lighting is not the same as it is if you are outdoors. Could just be coincidence too.
Jayhawk

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions