Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Facemasks

What's on your mind?

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:Acknowledged. The chance of my kid getting hurt on a baseball field is near zero, she does not go on them.

My kid and everyone of her 30-40 friends have played for 12 years, at the highest levels of the sport. They have never played with a mask and not a single injury. It feels perfectly safe. They worked on their glove skills. Were they afraid of the ball at times? Yes. They worked through it. Many went on to play D1 ball, and still love the game, played at the highest level. Many many many times as many injuries every year from ankles, knees, wrists. But no, we going to focus on face smashing incidents.

By the way, I had a chance to ask several of them. They like the no masks on the batting helmet. They think the kids that go no mask are tough. When they pitch to a kid with no mask their is definitely an intimidation factor.

The kids we did see wear masks. They ended up reinforcing their fear of the ball. Never learning to trust their leather. They bounced out, or topped out, of the sport freshman year of high school when the speed of the game got serious and the players got aggressive. The upper levels of the sport is not for everyone. It is going to naturally select the more competitive.

It turns out there is a death worse than the one eteamz suffered. I realize you guys will not stop. I mean hell Ralph Nader is still carrying on about some crazy safety danger endlessly. He made a pretty decent living on it and turned "the cause" into a presidential campaign. I can see it now, "Jonriv for Boring Heybucket President - Tireless droning about kids getting their face smashed at D3 games"

Perhaps you have not noticed, this place emptied out long ago. I am sure you are more than happy to take silence as agreement. The reality is that no one cares. They are fine with you "winning" this debate, as long as they are no longer have to suffer the pain of being drug into a conversation with you.

So hear you go. Despite all the reasonable evidence that says a kid is relatively safe playing ball, I have changed my stance on this issue. I now agree with you that masks should be mandatory, lest some kid get their face smashed in. I declare, masks are deemed, herby and for to wit, fully accepted.

From here forward no on shall ever:
- call anyone wearing a mask a sissy,
- or point out that they appear deathly afraid of the ball,
- or suggest that if they worked on their glove skills they may not need that massive piece of goofy looking plastic, with 3 inch wide hunks of plastic and 2 inch wide peep holes.
- or suggest if the ball is getting hit to hard for little suzy, this may not be the sport for suzy, maybe she should move over to slowpitch or soccer.

Now that we are all in agreement, maybe we let someone besides President jonriv bore people for a while. If nothing else our newly chosen path should bring a change of pace around here.

AI, I'm curious...what exactly happened in the last year that caused you to transform from the laid back, mostly happy "Dude" into the over the top poster you have become?

You need to change your avatar...it's no longer fitting.

I miss the old AI that didn't jump up and down crying it's the end of the world and ripping people a new A-hole just because he disagreed with them.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:51 am

I just announced, I am jumping on the bandwagon. How can that not be construed as anything but going with the flow?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:35 am

Welcome to teh Bandwagon AI!!!!!!! What instrument would you like to play?- The Rusty Trombone ;)
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:I just announced, I am jumping on the bandwagon. How can that not be construed as anything but going with the flow?

What bandwagon? I think this "bandwagon" is a figment of your new imagination.

Just as an FYI, although I sometimes think it would be a good idea my kid doesn't wear a mask and plays both corners and pitches. As I have said before, I think it should be the choice of the player/parent.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:52 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:I just announced, I am jumping on the bandwagon. How can that not be construed as anything but going with the flow?

Just as an FYI, although I sometimes think it would be a good idea my kid doesn't wear a mask and plays both corners and pitches. As I have said before, I think it should be the choice of the player/parent.

Shoot, your right. So busy enjoying posting snarky, but well thought out, face smash story links, that cleverly dared anyone to disagree or even failing to acknowledge, I forgot the first and second rule of the bandwagon, "Don't talk about the bandwagon"
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

Shoot, your right. So busy enjoying posting snarky, but well thought out, face smash story links, that cleverly dared anyone to disagree or even failing to acknowledge, I forgot the first and second rule of the bandwagon, "Don't talk about the bandwagon"

It all makes sense now.

This is what got you so upset:

http://www.empireonline.com/100-greates ... lt.asp?c=7

http://www.empireonline.com/100-greates ... lt.asp?c=1

BTW...thanks I was thinking for a while now that I needed a fresh avatar.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:07 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:BTW...thanks I was thinking for a while now that I needed a fresh avatar.

Your new avatar doesn't fit you.

FPD05, I remember Tyler Durden. I knew Tyler Durden. Tyler Durden was a friend of none. FPD05, you're no Tyler Durden.

You need a more fitting avatar.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 pm

PDad wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:BTW...thanks I was thinking for a while now that I needed a fresh avatar.

Your new avatar doesn't fit you.

FPD05, I remember Tyler Durden. I knew Tyler Durden. Tyler Durden was a friend of none. FPD05, you're no Tyler Durden.

You need a more fitting avatar.

I disagree. FPDad05 is certainly my warped, imaginary alter ego.

And although I do consider you to probably be the smartest guy I know of on HB, I'm pretty sure you are no George Carlin.

But who am I to say otherwise, right?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:30 pm

I was referring to the Tyler Durden that used to post here on HB. It was a complement.

FPDad05 is not warped at all, so much so, I can't imagine how you could possibly be less warped in real life.

You're right, I am definitely no Carlin and don't proclaim to be. I am overdue for a fresh avatar. Maybe I should use something more representatitve of me. Which one do you recommend?

PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm

PDad wrote:I was referring to the Tyler Durden that used to post here on HB. It was a complement.

FPDad05 is not warped at all, so much so, I can't imagine how you could possibly be less warped in real life.

You're right, I am definitely no Carlin and don't proclaim to be. I am overdue for a fresh avatar. Maybe I should use something more representatitve of me. Which one do you recommend?

My apologies to you and to the real Tyler Durden, both HB legends.

I like the Wikipedia one.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions