Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What are your biggest pains with coaching?

What's on your mind?

by coachchez » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm doing starting a new project to try to help problem find and solve areas within our game. My plan is to ask you questions and respond by creating videos to give you tools to make your coaching life easier. I would love and appreciate all your help and feedback.

1. What area do you feel is the most important to coaching?

2. In this area, what is the biggest pain/problem you face?

3. What do you feel is the most important area of hitting?

4. When coaching, what is the biggest pain/problem you face in this area?

Coach Chez
coachchez
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GreatWhiteNorth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:50 pm

greatest pain with coaching is simple - parents
GreatWhiteNorth

by coachchez » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm

GreatWhiteNorth wrote:greatest pain with coaching is simple - parents

Thank you for responding. What is it about parents that gives you pain? How much time do you spend dealing with parents versus coaching?
coachchez
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:37 am

Parents who overestimate their kid's talent
jonriv

by coachchez » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 am

jonriv wrote:Parents who overestimate their kid's talent

Do you provide statistics online or through email for the parents to see where their kid stands? Have you had a post fall and/or summer meetings with the player to talk about their role and where they stand on the team?
coachchez
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 am

coachchez wrote:

Do you provide statistics online or through email for the parents to see where their kid stands? Have you had a post fall and/or summer meetings with the player to talk about their role and where they stand on the team?

Coach, I appreciate your efforts here, but this is a subject best left to the veterans who have to deal with parents daily. You, as far as I can tell, went from playing in college to being an assistant college coach. If you have an issue with a kid/parent, you hold the scholarship and all the leverage. Many of us have coached rec, travel and HS where you have less leverage. Personally, I booted unruly parents from my travel team. You can't easily do that in rec and HS.

They dont care about stats or meetings. They only care about the fact that their kid is the star of the team and you are too stupid to recognize that fact.

Your suggestion might very well work if you were dealing with reasonable people. Parents don't qualify.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:35 pm

How much I miss it.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachchez » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Sam wrote:
coachchez wrote:

Coach, I appreciate your efforts here, but this is a subject best left to the veterans who have to deal with parents daily. You, as far as I can tell, went from playing in college to being an assistant college coach. If you have an issue with a kid/parent, you hold the scholarship and all the leverage. Many of us have coached rec, travel and HS where you have less leverage. Personally, I booted unruly parents from my travel team. You can't easily do that in rec and HS.

They dont care about stats or meetings. They only care about the fact that their kid is the star of the team and you are too stupid to recognize that fact.

Your suggestion might very well work if you were dealing with reasonable people. Parents don't qualify.

It's very common for most collegiate players to go from playing to coaching at the collegiate level. However, that was not my path. My first experience coaching was travel ball 12U and 14U. I understand the pains of dealing with parents. But that's besides the point. To say that there is no better solutions or preventative actions seems arbitrary.

I think what makes our sport so difficult to manage is that our sport is both a team and individual sport depending on how you look at it. On top of that, you are managing parents.

If you could wave a magic wand, how would you want your team parents to behave? What would you like your parent culture to look like?

Thank you for your feedback.
coachchez
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 pm

DonnieS wrote:How much I miss it.

Not as much as I miss ACU's...and BDU's...
wished I was 20 again...follow thru with some things I wanted to do...Delta Force...see Germany the fun way...build smaller house...not get that tattoo...buy the vehicles I WANTED...stop my kid from ever touching a softball...stuff like that;-)

I can understand parenting problems in everything under it...But College coaches have bad parents?...Thats a REAL EASY BUTTON fix if you ask me
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:59 am

Jonriv, i've seen that, and just being a parent. Coaches have a tough job, Coached basketball, and that was interesting in itself.
What about Parents who are coaches, and overestimate their kid's talent. Now they're in control and put thier kid where they want, on the field an in the batting lineup. Then what? Now you have bad parents because they see this and make noise.. I have also seen the coach sit his own kid just to make a point of not to be a daddy baller, and his kid is pretty awesome, btw nice coach too. It's a fine line and no coaching envy here. It's a hard spot to be in.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions