Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What do you think about the Evoshield elbow guard

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Fri May 02, 2014 1:50 am

If this was the case, both the opposing pitcher(s) and coach should have been tossed
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:11 am

BAM2 wrote:High School game yesterday, battle for first place and my kid gets plunked 4 times. 4 at bats 4 first pitch pitches that hit her. 6inches off the line, and not crowding. Evo shield again was there for here. Last time played this high school team, first time they ever faced my kid, and she is a 9th grader, they walk her back to back times. They finally pitched to her and she hit it off the fences both times. Next meeting, plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk. Asked her hitting coach why wouldn't you just walk her like before. "sometimes pitchers have a hard time throwing the intentional walk, it's eaiser if they just hit them with one pitch" She said to get used to it, because she will see more walks and hbp for the rest of her HS and Travel ball Life.
Long story short. While you might never break an arm or elbow, Evo shield sure did help in preventing a deep bone bruise, can you imagine taking a pitch on the same spot more that twice, let alone 4.
Thanks Evo Shield, my daughter thanks you.

That's ridiculous. That coach should be ashamed of herself and suspended.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Fri May 02, 2014 10:03 am

jonriv wrote:If this was the case, both the opposing pitcher(s) and coach should have been tossed

The high school rules for hit by pitch encourage this. You just have to throw the ball in the box and the batter doesn't have to make an attempt to avoid. Don't have to bother with throwing four out of the zone with the risk of a wild pitch advancing runners.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Sam » Fri May 02, 2014 10:12 am

Hitting kids in lieu of intentionally walking them just doesn't happen. Who in the world would:

a) Sanction hitting a kid
b) take a chance on missing the batter and throwing a wild pitch allowing the runners on base to advance when you are trying to set up one or more force plays in the infield.

Some coach has been pulling your collective legs. One would have to be completely brain dead to try and hit a batter instead of walking them intentionally.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri May 02, 2014 11:40 am

Intentionally walking a batter in softball is much easier than under normal* baseball rules because the catcher's box is 8' 5" wide - as wide as both batter's boxes. You can tell when the catcher has been coached by a baseball guy - they stand behind home plate with their arm extended to the outside instead of utilizing the larger catcher's box.

Note: NFHS baseball and slow pitch rules allow teams to intentionally walk batters without throwing a pitch - the coach just tells the umpire.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MCBDAD05 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:12 pm

My dd is a righty thrower but lefty hitter/slapper and loves the EVO. Very comfortable . Was hit on the right elbow 1 1/2 yrs ago and paid the price- sore for about 3 weeks. Now wears it all the time. Of course, "forgot" to put it on this year in her first HS game and low and behold, got beaned on the elbow- she'll never forget again.
MCBDAD05

by BAM2 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 am

Had a week to calm down, but my kid still finds it unbelievable. We're just glad she didn't get hurt. Sore but not hurt. It was a battle for first place, so there was no retailation pitches since they were down 2-1 after the first inning and that's how the score ended up. What PO'd my kid was that the opposing pitcher didn't High five/slap hands on the walk through, she was like hey,"your the one that hit me". Told her to control what you can and just be yourself, and if they ever make a mistake and pitch to you, Don't miss!!!

Here's a question. When Chalking the batters box, is there a reason why the opposing team wouldn't chalk the inside Line, on their home field? Our girls had to start asking the ump to draw a line.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 am

Sam wrote:Hitting kids in lieu of intentionally walking them just doesn't happen. Who in the world would:

b) take a chance on missing the batter and throwing a wild pitch allowing the runners on base to advance when you are trying to set up one or more force plays in the infield.

Some coach has been pulling your collective legs. One would have to be completely brain dead to try and hit a batter instead of walking them intentionally.

Come to Texas. My kid's goal was to make damn sure they paid for it everytime they did it. Her last run at the playoffs in high school, on game one , they plunked her 3 out of 4 at bats, the 3rd at bat they missed and she put it out of the park. After the last at - bat, hit in the back, she stood there for a minute, threw the bat down and walked up to the blue and said something to him, they turned and took her base. The next day, out in the parking lot before the 2nd game, I asked the blue what she said, (most if not all the blues in our general area have been calling her games since she was 6 and are friends - outside of game time). He said, "She said, When are you going to start doing your job!." He explained that in softball, the blue has to hear the coach tell the pitcher to hit the batter before he can take action. But before the second game, the blues went to the C/S team dugout, this was Victoria East or Victoria West , don't remember which and he warned them that if they pulled the same crap, they were looking at forfeit. Don't know if he really would have but she didn't get hit, she put two balls out and we run ruled them. The parents told me to tell her to retaliate - she was the pitcher then, but she said, and I knew she would because since she was 9, this was her attitude about retaliation, "Why the h would I put their butts on first base, the best thing I can do is put them back in the dugout."
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue May 06, 2014 7:04 am

DonnieS wrote:the best thing I can do is put them back in the dugout."

X2
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 am

DonnieS wrote:
Sam wrote:Hitting kids in lieu of intentionally walking them just doesn't happen. Who in the world would:

Come to Texas. My kid's goal was to make damn sure they paid for it everytime they did it. Her last run at the playoffs in high school, on game one , they plunked her 3 out of 4 at bats, the 3rd at bat they missed and she put it out of the park. After the last at - bat, hit in the back, she stood there for a minute, threw the bat down and walked up to the blue and said something to him, they turned and took her base. The next day, out in the parking lot before the 2nd game, I asked the blue what she said, (most if not all the blues in our general area have been calling her games since she was 6 and are friends - outside of game time). He said, "She said, When are you going to start doing your job!." He explained that in softball, the blue has to hear the coach tell the pitcher to hit the batter before he can take action. But before the second game, the blues went to the C/S team dugout, this was Victoria East or Victoria West , don't remember which and he warned them that if they pulled the same crap, they were looking at forfeit. Don't know if he really would have but she didn't get hit, she put two balls out and we run ruled them. The parents told me to tell her to retaliate - she was the pitcher then, but she said, and I knew she would because since she was 9, this was her attitude about retaliation, "Why the h would I put their butts on first base, the best thing I can do is put them back in the dugout."

Note to self: If you're ever lucky enough to meet Donnie...be nice to his DD's. :shock:

Love this story! :D
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions