Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What do you think about the Evoshield elbow guard

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 am

The point, VE, is that the facemask was added solely to protect our little girls' faces and dental work. Nothing to do with aggressiveness.

The elbow guard became popular with Barry Bonds using pad later in his career. He used it to crowd the plate and cover the outside corner with his 32 inch bat. The pad allowed him to do this withoug fear of pain or injury. Bonds was HBP 56 time during the first 15 years of his career.....50 times during the final 6 seasons (half of which were partial seasons).

I have coached college players who don't wear masks. What you are espousing is simply not true.

I will go the HS field today. Say a prayer to me.....I mean for me.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:12 am

The elbow guard became popular with Barry Bonds using pad later in his career. He used it to crowd the plate and cover the outside corner with his 32 inch bat. The pad allowed him to do this withoug fear of pain or injury. Bonds was HBP 56 time during the first 15 years of his career.....50 times during the final 6 seasons (half of which were partial seasons).

Why would he fear something that doesn't happen?
Bonds was getting hit more at the end of his career because he was averaging about 50 hrs a year then. Duh!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 am

This covers the Nuveman thread too. All I ask is that when the girls arrive on campus is they are not told to "toughen up" if they want commonly used protectve gear.

They get their list:
Jersey size S/M/L/XL
Pants S/M/L/XL
Cleats
Batting mask yes/no

They want it, they get it. They don't, they don't.

This discussion, to me, shows that many of you think it shows inferior physical and mental skills to use these protective crutches. That's the way it is coming across to me, anyway. Maybe if you type slower I'll get it next time.

Finally, how it is obvious why Barry should armor up while at the same time Nuveman's comments on national TV are perfectly appropriate ... going to need glacial typing for those two to fit in my head at the same time.

Off to watch youngest DD play some more ball. With a mask and no elbow guard (and none of those alligator back yellow armored batting gloves either).
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Vess Express » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:13 am

CheckWriter wrote:This covers the Nuveman thread too. All I ask is that when the girls arrive on campus is they are not told to "toughen up" if they want commonly used protectve gear.

They get their list:
Jersey size S/M/L/XL
Pants S/M/L/XL
Cleats
Batting mask yes/no

They want it, they get it. They don't, they don't.

This discussion, to me, shows that many of you think it shows inferior physical and mental skills to use these protective crutches. That's the way it is coming across to me, anyway. Maybe if you type slower I'll get it next time.

Finally, how it is obvious why Barry should armor up while at the same time Nuveman's comments on national TV are perfectly appropriate ... going to need glacial typing for those two to fit in my head at the same time.

CW - My thoughts exactly. On both subjects.

Also, Sam, I realize you have softball knowledge, and have coached college bound players. I too, have a little bit of softball knowledge, and I believe I can make just as educated an opinion on softball subjects as most. And when it comes to high school ball, I pray for everybody.
Vess Express

by ontheblack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:07 pm

My oldest, a rhp and lefty batter, liked the evoshield. She wore it because she was taught to crowd the plate just like the batters she faced when in the circle. She took a pitch to her elbow, and while it didnt injure it still hurt when she took the circle.. Ironically, she was never hit while wearing it.

Thing 2 has been plunked too many times by wild pitchers and wants one now. If it gives her confidence at the plate, I'm all in.

As for the strike zone and rules governing HBP, well thats a different story. Oldest once hit a batter in the stomach that was literally over the plate (batter had a huge gut rivaling the beer bellies of most of the dads watching). Blue awarded the batter 1B. Ensuing "discussion" with PU resulted in my first and only ejection.
ontheblack

by DonnieS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 am

My youngest daughter was the most hbp-ed kid during her high school career, and is now trying to achieve that same glory in college. I have to report that the Evoshield that I bought for her has not helped at all. Possibly it would if she would ever wear it - but I will never know. I should have had some homeless guy off the street give it to her, then she would wear it. :evil:
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:40 am

DonnieS wrote:My youngest daughter was the most hbp-ed kid during her high school career, and is now trying to achieve that same glory in college. I have to report that the Evoshield that I bought for her has not helped at all. Possibly it would if she would ever wear it - but I will never know. I should have had some homeless guy off the street give it to her, then she would wear it. :evil:

Thats how it goes when you have a softball player with a linebacker mentality.
ontheblack

by jonriv » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:55 am

Whenever a player on my DD's team gets HBP my DD yells at the top of her lungs "Don't rub it, we've got ice!!!"

An asst coach coach recently broke her nose from a hit ball during a front toss drill(ball went through the net) Everyone was devastated, blood everywghere, but the coach kept it light and she said" I know Schmiddy, we've got ice!" :)
jonriv

by rbi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:10 am

"Hey hunny (DD) i was talking to this "guy" and he has been around the game for as long as you been alive and HE says he has never seen anyone break an elbow by taking a pitch off of it. So lets do this kiddo, take that evo shield off, back off the plate a little so we can even the playing field dammit (cuz 7 times out of 10 failing is NOT enough already), and get eaten up on balls called a strike two balls off plate, and better yet if pitcher happens to lose one at 68mph and nails you in elbow, it wont break, cuz that guy told me he never saw one break, and therefore your golden, Just get your ass back out there and throw somebody out, even if you can't feel your arm". She already thinks i have lost it, cant wait to see the response i get, freakin classic!
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 am

High School game yesterday, battle for first place and my kid gets plunked 4 times. 4 at bats 4 first pitch pitches that hit her. 6inches off the line, and not crowding. Evo shield again was there for here. Last time played this high school team, first time they ever faced my kid, and she is a 9th grader, they walk her back to back times. They finally pitched to her and she hit it off the fences both times. Next meeting, plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk. Asked her hitting coach why wouldn't you just walk her like before. "sometimes pitchers have a hard time throwing the intentional walk, it's eaiser if they just hit them with one pitch" She said to get used to it, because she will see more walks and hbp for the rest of her HS and Travel ball Life.
Long story short. While you might never break an arm or elbow, Evo shield sure did help in preventing a deep bone bruise, can you imagine taking a pitch on the same spot more that twice, let alone 4.
Thanks Evo Shield, my daughter thanks you.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions