Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

1-2 oz (less) bat make a difference?

What's on your mind?

by beastcakes10 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxTLrcN ... ata_player

This girl was two weeks away from being 10 at the time this video was taken and she is using a 32/22. Seems to handle it just fine to me. She was 5'3" 125lbs at the time. All kids develope differently. If your kid can handle the bat, then don't hold her back.
beastcakes10

by ontheblack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm

I agree about erring on the lighter side at age 10. Height and weight doesnt always equate to muscle development.

I would also look at bat speed and control. From a pitcher's perspective, a kid who cant properly the handle a bigger bat is at the mercy of a pitcher who can effectively change speeds.
ontheblack

by Fredegar » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:58 am

beastcakes10 wrote:This girl was two weeks away from being 10 at the time this video was taken and she is using a 32/22. Seems to handle it just fine to me. She was 5'3" 125lbs at the time. All kids develope differently. If your kid can handle the bat, then don't hold her back.

I won't argue with the fact that all kids develop differently. But it's short-sighted to think "if your kid can handle the bat, then don't hold them back". Many kids can "handle" bats that are too heavy for them. But you're sacrificing bat speed, and you don't realize it. There's no way a 10U kid is getting the same bat speed they'd get with a bat that's 19-20oz, instead of 22oz. If you think her bat speed is good enough with the heavier bat, you're doing her a disservice. Too many parents are blinded by the bombs that a slow-swinging 10U kid can hit off slow-pitching with a 22 oz bat.
Fredegar

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions