Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Which hitting style is king?

What's on your mind?

by Gone in 2.6 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:14 pm

"Hitting is a linear beginning to a rotational finish"

Every time I hear this intellectually dishonest drivel, I want to slap Don Slaught upside the head. Way to muddy the waters and make all terms useless Donnie. I mean counting the STRIDE? Of course the stride is flippin linear. Is there any other way if you're NOT a ballerina? Geez. :roll:
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by artomatic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:01 pm

2 or 3 years ago, the little league world series was hawaii vs another island...those kids hit bombs left and right...they didn't have hitting coaches, RVP, JoeBad :shock: , etc...they probably played all day hitting rocks with broom handles...yes, there are ways to make hitters better, but i also think mindset, confidence, and natural ability plays a big part in a successful hitter...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BetheBest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm

ssarge wrote:
Hitting is a linear beginning to a rotational finish. From stance to toe touch is where your linear moves occur. Somewhere between toe touch and heel plant is where rotation begins. There is not much time between toe touch and heel plant but notice I said it's where rotation begins. The process of rotation will continue all the way through your follow through. "

That's exactly what "most" rotational advocates say. To my uneducated understanding of rotational hitting, what Amanda is describing in that article is a pure "rotational" swing. I don't see "rotational" as a "sit and spin" swing, and I think that most "experts" say the same thing.

If you watch mlb hitters, they almost all initially stride in a linear fashion, and when their toe hits the ground, the momentum towards the pitcher is stopped, then the heel hits the ground and the hips start turning.

Jofus:

Agreed, though it seems to me that some elite hitters begin rotating their hips INTO foot plant.

Freed is quoting Don Slaught's (RightView Pro) language, basically almost word-for-word. "Linear start to a rotational finish" has always been the RVP mantra.

And it has always been particularly annoying, in that it is basically "marketing-speak," and completely disingenuous. As you indicate, the term "rotational" has never been thought to include pre-launch activity such as the stride. And I would have to believe that Slaught knows that. When you speak with him, he is supremely well researched, and can recite chapeter and verse the foundational beliefs of almost every purveyor of a hitting methodology.

Until recently, there was always clear delineation between what was meant by the terms "rotational" and "linear." Now, who knows? Or for that matter, who cares? The terms have become meaningless.

In this way, I kind of feel for Epstein, the principle mass-market competitor to RVP. This is essentially exactly what Lau did to Williams (Epstein's mentor). He characterized Williams as a "back foot" spinning hitter, and consequently derisively dismissed "rotational" hitting. It wasn't a fair characterization, and Lau must have known it. But it did create differentitation.

Best,

Scott

Scott - I'm so gald you get it!
BetheBest

by softballdad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:15 pm

The one that can hit the ball LOL :o :o :o :o Check out Vladimir Guerrero's swing what kind of hitting is that?
I believe in getting into hot water. I think it keeps you clean.
softballdad

by xxxYerOut » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:39 pm

softballdad wrote:The one that can hit the ball LOL :o :o :o :o Check out Vladimir Guerrero's swing what kind of hitting is that?

I think you call it a multi-million dollar, League MVP, World Champion future Hall-of-Fame kind of hitting (from your nose to your toes) :shock: :shock: :shock: .
xxxYerOut

by watcher » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:11 pm

softballdad wrote:The one that can hit the ball LOL :o :o :o :o Check out Vladimir Guerrero's swing what kind of hitting is that?

I think Hudler said it best, Vlade has never seen a pitch he didn't like LOL
watcher

by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 am

I stand by Ignorance & Confidence, although if it were my quote, I'd say "Confidence & Ignorance" Thinking is way overrated, especially in softball/baseball. 8-)
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by purpleshins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Original question: "Which hitting style is king?"

My answer: Ask Ralph Weekly. If he gives an honest answer, he will tell you Candrea is the King of hitting in fastpitch. :mrgreen:
purpleshins

by Gone in 2.6 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:31 am

purpleshins wrote:Original question: "Which hitting style is king?"

My answer: Ask Ralph Weekly. If he gives an honest answer, he will tell you Candrea is the King of hitting in fastpitch. :mrgreen:

My only concern with Coach Candrea is I'm not clear on his thoughts about handpath (When I watch him swing, I swear sometimes it looks like a linear hand path. Then again it's not like my eyes are getting BETTER these days). But for college fastpitch he's probably as good as it gets.

I personally prefer Steve Englishbey FWIW.
Last edited by Gone in 2.6 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by 2smoove » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 pm

The one that is "King" is the one that works.

If you can hit the ball using linear, rotational or Vlad G., then that is the one that should be King.

I have seen too many coaches try to change players to meet the need of the philosophy that they support. I have seen linear coaches ruin girls who were rotational hitters, and vice versa.

Get to know your player, find out what they can or can't do, understand the hitting philosophies, and then marry the player to one or the either. Or even a hybrid of both.

Too many coaches are just making money off of players that just needed a tweak as opposed to a complete overhaul.
2smoove

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions