Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Which hitting style is king?

What's on your mind?

by qwikvr6 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:54 pm

I like rotational, I like the power it generates much more than inside out hitting.
qwikvr6

by Cannonball » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:58 pm

It was only a matter of time. :o

Tie the top sails down. Button down the hatches. Prepare for a tempest! 8-) :shock: :D
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by artomatic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

which hitting style is king?

the one that works...
actually the question is:
"wwjd"
"what would joebad do?"

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jofus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:15 am

Don't forget, while reminding us all that we are idiots :)
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by TulsaEliteGold » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 am

"NEITHER" is what Amanda Freed had to say about Hitting Styles in a recent article titled: "Linear vs Rotational Hitting" http://sssoftball.rivals.com/content.as ... CID=762216
Jeff Filali
Asst Softball Coach
Butler Comm College - 25+ D1 Signees since '11
www.butlergrizzlies.com

Founder/GM/Coach
Tulsa Elite Softball - 130+ College Commits since '08
www.tulsaelite.org

eM: jeff@TulsaElite.org
Ph: 918-951-7142
TulsaEliteGold

by jofus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 am

From Amanda's article...

"Hitting is a linear beginning to a rotational finish. From stance to toe touch is where your linear moves occur. Somewhere between toe touch and heel plant is where rotation begins. There is not much time between toe touch and heel plant but notice I said it's where rotation begins. The process of rotation will continue all the way through your follow through. "

That's exactly what "most" rotational advocates say. To my uneducated understanding of rotational hitting, what Amanda is describing in that article is a pure "rotational" swing. I don't see "rotational" as a "sit and spin" swing, and I think that most "experts" say the same thing.

If you watch mlb hitters, they almost all initially stride in a linear fashion, and when their toe hits the ground, the momentum towards the pitcher is stopped, then the heel hits the ground and the hips start turning.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:01 am

I wonder if Vlad Guerrerro ever thought about the philosophy behind his hitting techinque when he learned his stuff hitting taped up rags with a broomstick down in the Donimican? Quick hands, baby.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by Travel Ball » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 am

I just wish there was some place where the most talented ballplayers in the world came together year 'round and spent thousands and thousands of hours learning to hit with the most highly skilled professional coaches in the world, and the most successful of these coaches were rewarded with millions dollars, then I could just watch hours and hours of video of these coaches' hitters and teach my kid to hit like them. How I wish that such a place existed. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to rely on my daughter's high school coach.
Travel Ball

by ssarge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:51 am

Hitting is a linear beginning to a rotational finish. From stance to toe touch is where your linear moves occur. Somewhere between toe touch and heel plant is where rotation begins. There is not much time between toe touch and heel plant but notice I said it's where rotation begins. The process of rotation will continue all the way through your follow through. "

That's exactly what "most" rotational advocates say. To my uneducated understanding of rotational hitting, what Amanda is describing in that article is a pure "rotational" swing. I don't see "rotational" as a "sit and spin" swing, and I think that most "experts" say the same thing.

If you watch mlb hitters, they almost all initially stride in a linear fashion, and when their toe hits the ground, the momentum towards the pitcher is stopped, then the heel hits the ground and the hips start turning.

Jofus:

Agreed, though it seems to me that some elite hitters begin rotating their hips INTO foot plant.

Freed is quoting Don Slaught's (RightView Pro) language, basically almost word-for-word. "Linear start to a rotational finish" has always been the RVP mantra.

And it has always been particularly annoying, in that it is basically "marketing-speak," and completely disingenuous. As you indicate, the term "rotational" has never been thought to include pre-launch activity such as the stride. And I would have to believe that Slaught knows that. When you speak with him, he is supremely well researched, and can recite chapeter and verse the foundational beliefs of almost every purveyor of a hitting methodology.

Until recently, there was always clear delineation between what was meant by the terms "rotational" and "linear." Now, who knows? Or for that matter, who cares? The terms have become meaningless.

In this way, I kind of feel for Epstein, the principle mass-market competitor to RVP. This is essentially exactly what Lau did to Williams (Epstein's mentor). He characterized Williams as a "back foot" spinning hitter, and consequently derisively dismissed "rotational" hitting. It wasn't a fair characterization, and Lau must have known it. But it did create differentitation.

Best,

Scott
Last edited by ssarge on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssarge

by ssarge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 am

Quick hands, baby.

Hmmmm.
ssarge

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions