Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Fork and Beans

What's on your mind?

by blackwidow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 pm

progapanda wrote:Why did the 3rd base coach, base runners and batter all talk during the defensive conference? Did they know what was coming?

Why didn't the batter swing at that pitch?

What if the coach tried to talk the pitcher and catcher out of what happened?

The pitcher gave him 4 batters to find his zone. She gave him one pitch to show him hers.

You pose some interesting/deep questions but I'll take a stab answering..

Why did the 3rd base coach, base runners and batter all talk during the defensive conference?
Many times in sports like softball, during defensive conferences the offense will also take the opportunity to conference and talk about their strategy.
Did they know what was coming?
If you mean that the next pitch would be a ball, probably since pitcher had just walked several batters. If you mean that the catcher was going to duck the pitch and allow the umpire to get hit in the facemask. Doubtful.

Because the team at bat had just observed this pitcher walk 4 previous batters including a run scored, therefore using deductive reasoning the odds that the next pitch would also be a ball are high. So, not swinging until you are high in the count makes good sense now doesn't it? AND the next pitch was a ball.

What if the coach tried to talk the pitcher and catcher out of what happened? Doubtful but possible. Then you are saying that the catcher ducked this pitch on her own or in collusion with the pitcher. Possible but unlikely and unwise if you are looking to be recruited.

The pitcher gave him 4 batters to find his zone. She gave him one pitch to show him hers.
True in more ways than one.

The folks that said that they would pull their DD from a team that allowed/taught this are the ones that have a clue. IMHO Shunning is the only way to combat this sort of coaching. These types of coaches don't have a team if no one plays for them.

~PEACE
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
blackwidow

Location: riding a horse so high your complaints just sound like ant farts to me.

by Safebyahare » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 pm

progapanda wrote:Why did the 3rd base coach, base runners and batter all talk during the defensive conference? Did they know what was coming? (WTF! Base coaches do this all the time when there is a huddle in the circle,never know how long it's going take)

Why didn't the batter swing at that pitch? (What was the count? how many did she walk?, the pitcher was missing,)

What if the coach tried to talk the pitcher and catcher out of what happened? ( Really?,,,leading from behing coach)

( How high was the mask, she got unluckey, that she finally made target, she got luckey by him walking away)

Sounds like you have a vested interest in bush tactics or approve of it.

You are fast to react and typet blackwidow you also said it best. :lol:
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

progapanda wrote:Why did the 3rd base coach, base runners and batter all talk during the defensive conference? Did they know what was coming?

What if the coach tried to talk the pitcher and catcher out of what happened?

There was time called out by the team on the field that is why the third base coach talked to her players.

Why didn't she swing at the pitch .. well lets see it was two feet out of the strike zone. Don't try and stir up crap that does not exist
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by progapanda » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm

This 2 min clip is the end of a 15 min inning. This pitcher replaced the one that loaded the bases and then walked in 3-4 batters.

It's pretty rare that a 3rd base coach goes to the first base side to talk about strategy in this situation. Showcase, 1 hour into the game, bases loaded, up 6-1 and an inconsistent strike zone with a frustrated pitcher. What's there to talk about? Hit the f'n ball, take your hacks. No one gets looked at for walking. It was dark, so late game? Don't know who was watching 18's, most of these girls may have already committed?

Good, bad, right or wrong? I don't know. Everyone has their opinion. A lot of life lessons come out of this game and maybe this one will teach the coach, players and blue. Mostly the blue, they are all horrible.
progapanda
Premium Member
Premium Member

by blackwidow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm

progapanda wrote:Good, bad, right or wrong? I don't know. Everyone has their opinion. A lot of life lessons come out of this game and maybe this one will teach the coach, players and blue. Mostly the blue, they are all horrible.

Logical Thinking 101.jpg
Logical Thinking 101.jpg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
blackwidow

Location: riding a horse so high your complaints just sound like ant farts to me.

by LaderaDD96 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:33 pm

progapanda wrote:This 2 min clip is the end of a 15 min inning. This pitcher replaced the one that loaded the bases and then walked in 3-4 batters.

SMH, this is pretty disgusting... and yes, I watched the whole 1:04 minute game...
Last edited by LaderaDD96 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaderaDD96
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Progapanda,,you remind me of one of those parents who claims that their thug kid with a police record is innocent.
You seem to want to justify the actions on this video,,,why??? If that the type of person you are? Is that the way the game is played.?? Is that what we teach the kids?
NO thanks brother,,,,,I'll teach respect, honor, hard work, and to avoid folks like you who encourage such behavior as a learning or teaching moment.
Last edited by Safebyahare on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 pm

blackwidow wrote:Lots of questions to be asked here.

I wonder if any of our daughters would really have made a different choice in the same scenario?

My daughter is a catcher...I know her, she knows right from wrong...that's wrong
Shes as committed and competitive as any kid playing the game...
I don't wonder what she'd do...
letting that hit the ump wouldn't have crossed her mind.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by blackwidow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
blackwidow wrote:Lots of questions to be asked here.

I wonder if any of our daughters would really have made a different choice in the same scenario?

My daughter is a catcher...I know her, she knows right from wrong...that's wrong
Shes as committed and competitive as any kid playing the game...
I don't wonder what she'd do...
letting that hit the ump wouldn't have crossed her mind.

Pale...I am sure your DD is a terrific person and I am sure these other girls are too BUT Did you show her the video clip and ask her to put herself in that position?

Ask her what she would have done instead. How would she have handled it differently?

I'd be interested in her answer not your assumption of what you think she would have done.
Not because I don't believe you but because I'd really like to know how she would have defied her coaches directions in this situation.
and Would she have told you after the fact that the coach wanted her to let the ball hit the umpire?

Would you have kept her on the team after that, even if your daughter did not follow the coaches directions?

Peer pressure combined with an authority figure telling you that it's okay to do something immoral presents a tough dilemma. There have been tons of experiments that show that most people would have done the same thing in the same set of circumstances. That's why I'm asking.
blackwidow

by progapanda » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Justify? Devil advocate, pot stirrer more like it. These girls are almost adults and know right from wrong. They're not an 8u prancing pony rec team. They are highly trained, very competitive athletes. It's a different mindset than what any of you can understand. They did what they did and we'll see if players leave or join that Cruiser team. Decisions for a lot more people now.

This wouldn't even be an issue if she would have missed.

People that jump on a soapbox to preach how holier than thou they are after the fact are naive. I'll be the first one to call a thug guilty, even if it's my own kid. My DD is a catcher too and also knows right from wrong, I taught her. She knows all about honor and respect and making good decisions, I taught her. She also knows what this game can give her and what it can take away, she learned that on her own.
progapanda
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions