Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Fork and Beans

What's on your mind?

by Safebyahare » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88e-dnnon4s
Last moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0HzMOT4nc
Do not know what happened to them. They are now copied.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:31 am

Safebyahare wrote:Game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88e-dnnon4s
Last moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0HzMOT4nc
Do not know what happened to them. They are now copied.

Incident video has 89K views....wow!
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DunninLA » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:16 am

blackwidow wrote: As I stated before there have been tons of experiments that ordinary, good, moral, upstanding people fall victim to misguided obedience to authority figures. That's why I asked that question.

The famous experiment that brought this to light was the early '70s experiment by Phil Zimbardo at Stanford, which is now called the "Stanford Prison Experiment". Stanford students were ordered to give electric shocks of increasing intensity to a prisoner on the other side of a partition if the prisoner lied to the examiner. Screams, moans, etc. but the Stanford students still pressed the button to issue the electric shock.
DunninLA

by Informal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:22 am

WOW... http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments ... ter_being/

This is all over every major video site.

Sad that it's for a negative incident.
Informal

by blackwidow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:26 am

DunninLA wrote:
blackwidow wrote: As I stated before there have been tons of experiments that ordinary, good, moral, upstanding people fall victim to misguided obedience to authority figures. That's why I asked that question.

The famous experiment that brought this to light was the early '70s experiment by Phil Zimbardo at Stanford, which is now called the "Stanford Prison Experiment". Stanford students were ordered to give electric shocks of increasing intensity to a prisoner on the other side of a partition if the prisoner lied to the examiner. Screams, moans, etc. but the Stanford students still pressed the button to issue the electric shock.

Actually you are confusing the Stanford Prison Experiment with the Stanley Milgram experiment.
But the intended goal was similar.

Read some of the links that I attached previously..I believe they the cover both experiments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
blackwidow

Location: riding a horse so high your complaints just sound like ant farts to me.

by Diesels_dad » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Too bad TCS didn't have someone like Lt. Kaffee to question Mel...

TCS: *Coach Mel, did you order the beaning?*
Mel: You want answers?
TCS: I think we're entitled to.
Mel: *You want answers?*
TCS: *We want the truth!*
Mel: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Mel: Son, we work in an industry that has egos, and those egos have to be protected by men with guts. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Travis? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the umpire, and you curse the coaches. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That umpire's beaning, while tragic, probably saved egos. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves egos. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that field, you need me on that field. We use words like honor, commitment, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent coaching players. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who profits from the very teams that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I coach them. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up some players and coach a team. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

TCS: Did you order the beaning?
Mel: I did the job I...
TCS: *Did you order the beaning?*
Mel: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

Has my vote for 2013 top 10 posts
Diesels_dad

by jtat32 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:08 pm

I certainly don't disagree that this was a poor way to handle the situation, but I don't think that this incident deserves the attention or the reaction that it is getting here. A lot has been said about the risk to the umpire's safety in this situation, but nobody has said anything about the potential risk to the pitcher's safety by the zone that umpire is establishing here.

- I agree that most of the calls were pretty obviously balls before the one that brought the coach out of the dugout. That said, that pitch was clearly a strike - clearly right down the middle of the plate and at least six inches about the knee. The parents aren't helping their pitcher get any calls with their chirping, and the catcher didn't need to pull that ball up six inches to the batter's waist, but it was still clearly a strike.

- I can't say why the ump didn't give her that pitch, but it comes across as if he's making a statement - he's in control of the game, not whomever/whatever is ticking him off. Again, it may have been an honest mistake (ump seems to be tracking the catcher's glove and seeing the ball pulled up six inches may have thrown him off), but given the situation, it certainly comes across as a statement.

- From the coach's/pitcher's perspective, what is their next option? If the ump will walk in a run on a pretty fat strike in game that is already going poorly, what is the pitcher supposed to do next? Throw down the middle and belt high? Anybody want to volunteer for that duty against a 18G team? I'm not going to do it, and I would never ask a pitcher to do it. The pitcher's safety is in much greater danger in that situation than the ump's was in this one. Less chance of getting hit, sure, but a much greater chance of serious injury.

There were better ways to handle this situation, to be sure, but if the coach was thinking of his pitcher's safety here (and I would bet that he was), he isn't the jerk he is being made out to be. Nobody needs to be banned, no scholarships need to be pulled, just learn from it. A few obvious lessons:

- Parents don't help their team's cause by berating the ump.

- Effective framing is subtle.

- The best umps are the ones you don't notice. Don't make the game about you under any circumstances.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:11 pm

On another note - PDad, your "A Few Good Men" post is a classic. :lol:

Absolutely worthy of your avatar.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by blackwidow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
blackwidow

Location: riding a horse so high your complaints just sound like ant farts to me.

by anonlooker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Over 280,000 views now, may be going viral over the weekend, which means girls fastpitch softball is about to get a heap of really bad publicity.

But probably not so bad for some outfit called Williams Sports Videos, who posted the video to YouTube and is running advertising with it. Although I doubt I would use a company that deliberately publicized an ugly incident to boost their sales - in the process getting my sport getting raked over the coals - maybe they'll turn some extra profit. Maybe this is what marketing has come to. Whatever it takes to turn a buck, right?

But they sure didn't do girls fastpitch any favors here.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions