Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Cleats

What's on your mind?

by nthezone » Sat May 09, 2009 10:59 pm

I was wondering how often I should buy my DD new cleats. I know a buddy of mine buy's his DD new game cleats every six months. I thought that was a little excesive. What are your opinions?
nthezone

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 10, 2009 4:44 am

You should always buy her new cleats when she needs a pair ... since my DD's pay for their own, you can usually see the color of their socks through the sides of their cleats before they break down and splurge ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Coach11 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:46 am

nthezone wrote:I was wondering how often I should buy my DD new cleats. I know a buddy of mine buy's his DD new game cleats every six months. I thought that was a little excesive. What are your opinions?

My own DD is very particular. Some cleats she's worn don't go 6 months before she feels she needs a new pair. Others, she'll get a full year out of. The pair she's currently in are in their second year. They look like hell, but are still solid. She's comfortable in them, and when I tried to take her for a new pair prior to the start of the varsity season, she refused to go.

My fear is that they are going to blow up just as the summer season kicks into gear and we're going to be scrambling to find the "perfect pair".
Coach11

by Tucson » Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 am

When the rubber cleat loses it's original shape, it is time for a new pair. I just told two girls at pitching lessons this week to get new cleats. They were sliding all over the place. One had been getting hand me downs, that were almost smooth on the toe.

Once they take a header rounding first base, they will know it is time for new cleats.

Personally, I wouldn't wear a worn out pair because I like the foot protection from wild throws.
Tucson

by 2pitchers1dad » Mon May 11, 2009 2:15 pm

My dd's as well have cleat issues, and I need the help of the hey bucket nation. I got's to find me some sz 7 2008 mizuno watley (interchangable/replacable) in black, navy or royal. somebodies got to have a secret stash somewhere, 'cause baby I've looked everywhere. So if any of ya'll got any ideas PM me por favor.
2pitchers1dad

by EverySingleWeekend » Mon May 11, 2009 6:29 pm

try this link...

http://www.baseballsavings.com/customer ... RY_ID=6039

they're not the watleys but they are almost as light (12 oz compared to 8 oz watleys) & have interchangeable cleats...best thing i ever did was buy DD watleys, sooo light & she wears out the cleats (i'm not kidding, she would wear them down to NUBS!) way before the shoe was worn out...but now, presto chango, for about $4, new cleats, same comfort level for the shoe...

good luck! :)
EverySingleWeekend

by traveldude » Tue May 12, 2009 1:18 pm

http://www.thefind.com/apparel/browse-a ... all-cleats
The shoe my DD has used since 14u is the adidas excel I/C. The have an interchangeable cleat that are ASA and high school legal. Just like another poster said...unless your DD is a pitcher her shoe is fine but the cleat is wore down. For 5 bucks I kept long, sharp plastic cleats on her shoes at all times. When she started in college they were contracted with adidas so she used her comfortable shoe and put on the metal cleats. In my opinion a shoe with interchangeble cleats is the best way to go...for traction and for $$$$$
Traveldude (SoCal)
traveldude

by sscoon » Tue May 12, 2009 5:29 pm

I agree with traveldude.

My daughter is currently going through 4-5 pair of cleats per year, two pair metal, two pair rubber cleats. About the time that the shoe is actually broken in, the cleats are worn down so much that she might as well be wearing bowling shoes on the field. We have searched very hard to find women's interchangable cleats. A month ago, not too long after buying ANOTHER pair of cleats, we finally found a place online that carries women's interchangable cleats. (Men's were VERY easy to find, but since she has a small foot, they do not come in her size.) Then we found that the online place was actually local to us and we can drive there to try them on. Halfway through summer ball, she will be due for a new pair of rubber cleats, we are going down there to test out the interchangable ones when she gets to that point.
sscoon

by Coach11 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:32 pm

sscoon wrote:....we finally found a place online that carries women's interchangable cleats. (Men's were VERY easy to find....).

Someday I'm going to have the money, and the gonads, to open a womens (girls) only sporting goods shop.

In my neck of the woods, it's difficult to find anything but the most basic womens sports apparel. Oh sure....plenty of "casual sports wear"....and a hundred places to purchase a pink baseball glove...but actual equipment for the serious female athlete is in short supply.

Though I've never looked for it, I'm betting I could find mens rugby gear readily stocked before a decent pair of womens sliders.
Coach11

by sscoon » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Coach11,

We would totally shop there! It is so difficult to find equipment for these young women. I exhaust my efforts constantly. It is not relegated to softball, as I know other female sports deal with this as well.

Big tip...carry Mizuno softball pants. They seem to fit every shape, height, etc. We have a pitcher on one of her teams that is 6'2, some girls who are bigger girls in the...um...derriere. Some who are thin as a stick. They all fit well into the Mizunos.

We ordered some Mizuno pants from one online place this week which showed them in stock, one pair white, one pair navy. They ended up not having navy in stock in her size two days after ordering and wanted to substitute....we will wait out the navy since it is so difficult to find...she will have to deal with the holes she slid into her fall navy pants until the new ones arrive!
sscoon

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions