Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Paid coaches or parent coaches

What's on your mind?

by ICMTM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 pm

I don't know too many people without a kid on the team that would offer to pick up their own travel etc to coach.

One thing that you see in other sports that I don't see in softball/baseball is the trainer model. I feel this would work at younger ages where experienced coaches run practices and let parents manage the games. I feel the biggest problem with daddy ball isn't innings played but pigeon hole training. Kids have defined positions based often around their kid or one person's ideology.

At younger levels I prefer there be parents involved so I am pro trainer/parent managers. 14/16u at the latest I'd like to see parent coaches retire.
ICMTM

by Lone Star Proud » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 am

There are some very good parent coaches out there that are fair and don't play "daddy ball". Unfortunately, for every 1 of those there are 10 "daddy ball" coaches. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lone Star Proud

by cyberman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:55 am

Been reading this post. I would like some feedback. I coached a travel team for 3 years and my daughter who now plays D1 was on my team and one of my solid players. I never took a dime for coaching, I didn't feel it was right to do so since my daughter was on the team. I payed my monthly dues to my business manager who also paid his dues. I paid my travel, mileage and lodging just like any other parent.

Sometimes I think I was a fool not to take money as I know many parent coaches accept money in some way. Again I would like to hear opinions on this.- Thanks!
cyberman

by DonnieS » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:54 am

cyberman wrote:Been reading this post. I would like some feedback. I coached a travel team for 3 years and my daughter who now plays D1 was on my team and one of my solid players. I never took a dime for coaching, I didn't feel it was right to do so since my daughter was on the team. I payed my monthly dues to my business manager who also paid his dues. I paid my travel, mileage and lodging just like any other parent.

Sometimes I think I was a fool not to take money as I know many parent coaches accept money in some way. Again I would like to hear opinions on this.- Thanks!

Did exactly what you did for about 7 years - we didn't do dues - when we had expenses that needed to be paid, insurance, uniforms, we divied up, and everyone paid their bit, the charge was by dds not by family obviously so having two, that's what we paid. Over time, we built up some sponsors and that helped a lot.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Vess Express » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:46 am

DonnieS wrote:
cyberman wrote:Been reading this post. I would like some feedback. I coached a travel team for 3 years and my daughter who now plays D1 was on my team and one of my solid players. I never took a dime for coaching, I didn't feel it was right to do so since my daughter was on the team. I payed my monthly dues to my business manager who also paid his dues. I paid my travel, mileage and lodging just like any other parent.

Did exactly what you did for about 7 years - we didn't do dues - when we had expenses that needed to be paid, insurance, uniforms, we divied up, and everyone paid their bit, the charge was by dds not by family obviously so having two, that's what we paid. Over time, we built up some sponsors and that helped a lot.

We also do this. Unfortunately, we always have a few people who are not able to pay for everything. We try to get people to sponsor the girl, or we are just out the money ourselves. It's never a huge amount of money, but almost every year, we pay in more than the rest of the team. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind on the team, and it's nice to see those same girls go off to college, when I dont' believe they would have without their softball scholarship money.
Vess Express

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:09 am

Vess Express wrote:
DonnieS wrote:

We also do this. Unfortunately, we always have a few people who are not able to pay for everything. We try to get people to sponsor the girl, or we are just out the money ourselves. It's never a huge amount of money, but almost every year, we pay in more than the rest of the team. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind on the team, and it's nice to see those same girls go off to college, when I dont' believe they would have without their softball scholarship money.

This is way we always did it as well. I figured I would be paying the fee and travel if I were not the coach, so it was just budgeted in with the rest.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 am

Vess Express wrote:
DonnieS wrote:

Embarrassing as it is, it happened to us, poor choices/decisions made by me caused me to have to give up the team. Softball wasn't part of my world for a while and some teams offered to pick her up on 'scholarship'. I remember when we were part of a group helping people years before thinking how much it must suck to be in that position. God heard me and said, "Here you go dude."
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions