Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Indiana/Midwest vs SoCal Weather

What's on your mind?

by Stubs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 pm

There was a post on another website asking if people in the East or Midwest had any sympathy for SoCalers having to deal with rain this time of year. Some one from SoCal had posted that the wind had gotten so strong that it blew his patio chair over.

Today in northern Indiana the temperature was in the mid to high 40's. All the snow that had accumulated (3" to 6") in the last couple weeks had melted away. People were outside enjoying the sun while wearing sweatshirts, birds were chirping, children were playing, the Dow was going up...

In the last hour the temperature has dropped 30 degrees (and due to drop into single digits), the wind is howling and the ground is now recovered in snow. If not for indoor facilities like the Dome in Fort Wayne and Sportzone in Indianapolis (there are others in the surrounding states) us poor Hoosier softballers would have to be content with reading about the tournaments that are being played in SoCal and dreaming of the warm summer days that are, for us, at least four months away.

I have often thought that the reason girl's fastpitch softball in SoCal has been so dominant must be directly due to the fact that they can play year round. So what about Florida, Texas and the other southern states? The weather can't be the only reason SoCal has been dominant, but it sure helps!

Anyway, I don't have any sympathy for you SoCalers having to deal with a little wind and rain. Go pick up your patio furniture :ugeek: and be thankful that it isn't covered in 3" to 6" of this nasty white stuff!
"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so" Ronald Reagan
Stubs

by coolstuff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:53 am

Texas seems to have some pretty good teams. I saw some good 14U at the Utrip Nationals last year.

Other sports benefit from the good weather out west and down south, including soccer, football, and baseball. But basketball benefits from the bad weather in the midwest. There's nothing else to do but go to the gym and shoot hoops. ;)
coolstuff

by Stubs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am

Northern Indiana weather update: It is now 3 degrees with a windchill factor of minus 16. All schools in the area have been closed due to cold and drifting snow. I'm heading out for more wood for my wood burning stove. My patio chair is covered in snow and ice. The young lady that lives next door is out chiseling ice off of her car's windshield. I hope our tournament this weekend doesn't get cancelled.
"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so" Ronald Reagan
Stubs

by whatever » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:47 am

What is the Dome like? Have our first indoor Feb. 15 - is it like indoor carpeting? Rug Burn when you slide? Blinding ceiling lights? DD's first experience at travel and indoor - 14U.
whatever

by Demonboy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 am

Stubs wrote:
Today in northern Indiana the temperature was in the mid to high 40's. All the snow that had accumulated (3" to 6") in the last couple weeks had melted away. People were outside enjoying the sun while wearing sweatshirts, birds were chirping, children were playing, the Dow was going up...

Mid 40's? "Fair weather" like that would inspire me to forgo leaving my house.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am

Posted this before if memory serves, but ...

We live in SoCal and before we took the spawn to Louisville last January, I say to her "You know its really cold there." She says "Dad, I like the cold!" The first morning, she is standing in front of the hotel and its 0 degrees with wind coming off the river. She is shivering her a$$ off and says "Dad, its so cold my hair hurts!"

My kid is so worldly.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Stubs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Whatever,

The Dome in Fort Wayne has 65' high ceilings and I don't remember the lights being too bad for catching a fly ball. The terf has artificial grass blades with what I believe is ground up rubber raked into it which gives it more cushioning than standard turf. Have your girls bring both cleats and tennis shoes to see which they prefer. If you play in the first couple early games it may be a little chilly depending on what the temperature is outside. By noon things warm up to the point that a sweatshirt (if that) is all you need. Personally I like playing there. Of course, what other options do we have right now?
Stubs

by artomatic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:50 pm

rare footage of the aftermath of socal's storm this past weekend:

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Stubs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 pm

I love it! Is Arnold going to declare a state of emergency?
Stubs

by artomatic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Stubs wrote:I love it! Is Arnold going to declare a state of emergency?

I don't think he can even pronounce "emergency"...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions