Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Composite bat longevity

What's on your mind?

by wadeintothem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:48 am

I suppose from the umpire position the compelling argument would be made re Mfg recommendations.

Maybe liability. I've received no direction or training about exactly what this means to the bat. I would send any issues involving this bat up the flag pole. Until its addressed by ASA, in Insurance I trust.

It could be those bats were willingly pulled by the parties involved knowing they were above spec.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by SkidMarks » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 am

wadeintothem wrote:Now this is where your bat goes to die when you and little suzie get it confiscated at nats by trying to read into that language that is not there ... I could get deblued for showing this top secret photo...but much like the masked magician, I think you need to know..

I know a few guys who should be deblued...

That is a lot of Eastons in those buckets. Has anyone had problems with Anderson (Rocket or Techzilla)? We got into a little scrum with a blue over an end cap rivet on an older RT, but hammered it until he was happy...

Are those bats returned after the tournament or does the UIC just get to ebay them at his leisure? :lol:

SM
SkidMarks

by SSdad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 am

wadeintothem wrote:
rbi wrote:
So, just for reference ANY sign of ANY crack of ANY size, can result of removal of bat from play?

ASA 3-1
The official bat shall be smooth. It shall be free of dentsburrs and visible cracks, and shall
not have exposed rivets, pins, rough or sharp edges or any form of exterior fastener that would present a hazard.

No cracks... at all.

I highlighted dents because it is a change this year. It used to be we had a bat ring and if it would fit over a dented bat, the bat is good to go.

Now, ANY dent = its done.

So any dents or cracks and that bat is in a shed. It is not legal.

Now this is where your bat goes to die when you and little suzie get it confiscated at nats by trying to read into that language that is not there ... I could get deblued for showing this top secret photo...but much like the masked magician, I think you need to know..

All Eastons and only 2 RT?
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
SSdad

by wadeintothem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:48 pm

I dont know the story about each individual bat - for the stealths - Some were rattles and some were cracks, just like being discussed in this thread and who knows what else. Many stealths wobble when they are shaken and you feel it shake and wobble. You can see the cracks forming. Stealths and the Phoenix are the #1 bat I've seen come apart like a wood bat in the MLB. ASA 31G pretty much covers this. Anyone playing ASA ball with any stealth should have a suitable back up ready to go and warmed up.

T
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by black&blue » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:15 am

My DD has a Techzilla with a paint chip about 1/4 inch, right where the barrel starts thinning. It's pretty noticeable to anyone looking over the bat. Will this be a problem with the umpires?
black&blue

by ice_67 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:00 am

wadeintothem wrote:. ...Anyone playing ASA ball with any stealth should have a suitable back up ready to go and warmed up.

T

I thought bat warmers were illegal. :lol:
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by dittoz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:17 am

Well, I tried emailing Wilson/DeMarini about his cracking / breaking in issue and interestingly, all of the email addresses posted on their sites bounce back as undeliverable.

Tonight, I'm going to see if my buddy who runs a local cage/pro shop can talk to his W/DM rep and see what the story is. Be nice if somehow they would work it out so the kids don't come out the victims here. I can just see though, that DM wants to sell more bats and avoid any liability for truly damaged ones, so why would they confim the spiderweb stuff it "okay". On the other hand, ASA says cracks are bad, so they can't ignore these, even though they seem to be an expected occurence pretty early on...

Sheeesh! :?
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:00 am

dittoz wrote:Well, Wilson/DeMarini Sheeesh! :?

Ditto ... I have mentioned it on here about my dealings with two manufacturers;
1.) W/DeMarini - About 4 or 5 years ago ... I was told that bats being up to a full ounce off their stated weight is an acceptable tolerance ... so, that means if you buy a 34/24 and a 34/22, they can ship you the same bat if they choose ... they refused my claim and would not replace after I shipped a bat back with their claim # on it, they returned it saying that although it is a full ounce off it is acceptable ... 2 weeks lost and much time on hold, but try they phon as they never answered e-mails ... But I did vow to Mr. Notsoniceonthephone, that every chance I get I would spread the word ... So, even if they admit they are wrong or the bat has cracks ... My guess is that they will say that the amount of cracks are within their acceptable tolerances ...
2.) Easton - We sent back 3 White & Purple CNT's ... I spent up to an hour or more on hold waiting for anyone alive ... I really had the feeling that they were sitting there with their feet on the desk watching the lights on the phone lines blink trying to wear me down ... but, once you get your return number they replace willingly, but if you want the same exact bat, sometimes there may be a delay due to production/availability they said ... after one such delay they offered me a newer model bat valued at a portion of the price of the CNT ... I didn't bite and they shipped the CNT ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by dittoz » Wed May 06, 2009 1:58 pm

To stir this topic back up, I sent DD's CF3 back to DM with their RMA and they promptly sent it back, saying they had inspected it and there was no issue that they could find with it.

Curious, I called them back and spoke with the CSR guy who answered my call and told him about the issues the spider-webbing is causing. He understood and seemed familiar with it but kept reverting back to a statement that DeMarini feels this is not a structural failure of the bat and that it is not a warranty-able issue.

I shot back that the bat had been tossed from a few tournaments now, and also cited some of Wade's earlier commentary on this topic and suddenly his whole stance changed. He said go ahead and send the bat back - that if it is being pulled, they'll cover it, and he also emailed me a copy of an open letter from D/M speaking to the spider web cracking / crazing / etc and that they confirm it is not a structural flaw and that the integrity of the bat has been found to be fine... yada yada yada...

Be interesting to see what ASA has to say about D/M's stance and I can't wait to see a bat pulled, only to have a Dad run out onto the field waving this letter... Could make for some great spectating!

Heck, maybe I'll do it ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by wadeintothem » Wed May 06, 2009 2:27 pm

that letter would mean nothing to me or any other umpire.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions