Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Composite bat longevity

What's on your mind?

by dittoz » Thu May 07, 2009 5:32 am

Which is exactly why I bring it up... ;)
dittoz

by fungodude » Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Remember that the manufacturer (at least Dimarini) also says not to use the bat in cages - that will take it out of warranty. So I'd wash those dimples off before returning it. Use a crappy cage bat in the cages and save your gamer for real softballs. You'll save a lot of heartache and money.

BTW haven't noticed the spider cracks on the Phenix.
fungodude

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 07, 2009 3:18 pm

dittoz wrote:To stir this topic back up, I sent DD's CF3 back to DM with their RMA and they promptly sent it back, saying they had inspected it and there was no issue that they could find with it.

Curious, I called them back and spoke with the CSR guy who answered my call and told him about the issues the spider-webbing is causing. He understood and seemed familiar with it but kept reverting back to a statement that DeMarini feels this is not a structural failure of the bat and that it is not a warranty-able issue.

I shot back that the bat had been tossed from a few tournaments now, and also cited some of Wade's earlier commentary on this topic and suddenly his whole stance changed. He said go ahead and send the bat back - that if it is being pulled, they'll cover it, and he also emailed me a copy of an open letter from D/M speaking to the spider web cracking / crazing / etc and that they confirm it is not a structural flaw and that the integrity of the bat has been found to be fine... yada yada yada...

Be interesting to see what ASA has to say about D/M's stance and I can't wait to see a bat pulled, only to have a Dad run out onto the field waving this letter... Could make for some great spectating!

Heck, maybe I'll do it ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ditto ... If I ever fall out of the tree I'm in and by another DeMarini ... I will first ship my return bat to you and let you deal with that pr*ck because you got farther with him than I did ... perhaps you have more patience than I ... :evil: or maybe its the mask :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by 09softball » Fri May 08, 2009 9:54 am

A question about the bats that has visible paint chips. The rules don't address this, so can anything be presumed that since it's not a crack, burr, or dent, that the bat should be ok? Dang high school metal cleats...DD forgot and tapped the mud off the cleats the first game and has a handful of paint chips.
09softball

by wadeintothem » Fri May 08, 2009 11:24 am

Couple of rules (two different sections paraphrased) may apply.. so you are iffy and at the mercy of an umpire judgement call each and every time the bat is inspected.

Bat barrel shall be smooth... and ..not show signs of excessive wear...

Good luck...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by dittoz » Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Actually, yeah - I used Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and the bat was pretty good looking in no time. DD used it a TON in the cages since last October and there's likely over 10,000 hits on it - almost all from dimples. Not too many dimple marks, but there were a few for sure.

Now that being said, the actual warranty verbiage says nothing about dimple balls. It only contains a blanket statement that it should not be used in a commercial hitting facility.

From D/M's website - it says this:

"Please note: Items not covered include but are not limited to: grip replacement, abuse or misuse, bats used in commercial batting cages. "

So, what would happen if the commercial batting cage uses real balls? I pitch to her in a commercial cage and use real balls because we don't always use the popular blue pitching machine. What if I own my own batting cage in the back yard and I use dimples in there...?

Anyway, the guy I spoke with was real nice on the phone, easy to talk to and quick to offer up a remedy. Actually I offered the remedy and he accepted it, but whatever...

They've now shipped a new bat (actually, I can only confirm that "something" is being shipped) and it should be here Tuesday. Hopefully it's a new bat and I have the letter to wave at Wade when he tosses it just for spite because I keep bringing this silly thing up!

It's really sad though; I've never read of a kid who didn't love this bat after swinging it for a time. DD loves her for sure and I'd certainly buy another one, except for these damn cracks. Maybe ASA will work with the manufacturer(s) and wind up changing the wording of the rule so as to not cause this to be a cause for removal...

Then again, pigs may sprout wings and fly ...
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by fungodude » Fri May 08, 2009 2:51 pm

dittoz wrote:Actually, yeah - I used Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and the bat was pretty good looking in no time. DD used it a TON in the cages since last October and there's likely over 10,000 hits on it - almost all from dimples. Not too many dimple marks, but there were a few for sure.

Now that being said, the actual warranty verbiage says nothing about dimple balls. It only contains a blanket statement that it should not be used in a commercial hitting facility.

From D/M's website - it says this:

"Please note: Items not covered include but are not limited to: grip replacement, abuse or misuse, bats used in commercial batting cages. "

So, what would happen if the commercial batting cage uses real balls? I pitch to her in a commercial cage and use real balls because we don't always use the popular blue pitching machine. What if I own my own batting cage in the back yard and I use dimples in there...?

Anyway, the guy I spoke with was real nice on the phone, easy to talk to and quick to offer up a remedy. Actually I offered the remedy and he accepted it, but whatever...

They've now shipped a new bat (actually, I can only confirm that "something" is being shipped) and it should be here Tuesday. Hopefully it's a new bat and I have the letter to wave at Wade when he tosses it just for spite because I keep bringing this silly thing up!

It's really sad though; I've never read of a kid who didn't love this bat after swinging it for a time. DD loves her for sure and I'd certainly buy another one, except for these damn cracks. Maybe ASA will work with the manufacturer(s) and wind up changing the wording of the rule so as to not cause this to be a cause for removal...

Then again, pigs may sprout wings and fly ...

Nice work... negotiating the corporate morass is rough duty, and anyone who can emerge with satisfaction is to be commended. I think the spirit of the warning is that the dimpled balls generally inflict more damage on the bat due to their rough texture. And I think they are heavier. Never heard of a facility who used real balls, because they are more easily worn out. I have seen real balls being put thru really good pitching machines that aren't as subject to flying all over the place when they catch a seam.
fungodude

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions