Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Open Letter to Pitchers' Parents

What's on your mind?

by dusty » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Since it's thread resurrection week on HB I thought I'd give this one a bump and nominate it for "HB Classic" status.

At the time of Sam's OP I had two dd's very early in their pitching careers and they both continued to pitch through high school and fortunately managed to stay healthy. I don't know how much of a difference Sam's posts on this topic made for them as most of their early years of travel ball were spent trying to find teams where they could get enough pitching time rather than worrying about too much pitching.

I can't say we followed Sam's advice strictly to the letter throughout their later years. There were times when circumstances required my dd's to pitch more than one game a day and I don't know of any other pitcher in my area where that wasn't sometimes the case. The one thing we did different from most of the pitchers I know who had injury issues was emphasize a winter shut-down period where they did other sports like basketball or winter track.

My youngest dd still has her senior year of HS left and committed to a university that isn't highly regarded for softball in general and pitching in particular but if she suffers an injury at this point or beyond she'll at least be at the college she always wanted to go to. I know you've been banging the drum on this ever since Sam so I just wanted to say I heard it way back then and thanks.
dusty

by Chin Music » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Hey Sam the insanity continues! 19 inning game with no pitching changes! Ole Miss pitcher throws 256 pitches - LSU pitcher throws 237.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/w-s ... 18aaa.html
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 am

dusty wrote:Since it's thread resurrection week on HB I thought I'd give this one a bump and nominate it for "HB Classic" status.

At the time of Sam's OP I had two dd's very early in their pitching careers and they both continued to pitch through high school and fortunately managed to stay healthy. I don't know how much of a difference Sam's posts on this topic made for them as most of their early years of travel ball were spent trying to find teams where they could get enough pitching time rather than worrying about too much pitching.

I can't say we followed Sam's advice strictly to the letter throughout their later years. There were times when circumstances required my dd's to pitch more than one game a day and I don't know of any other pitcher in my area where that wasn't sometimes the case. The one thing we did different from most of the pitchers I know who had injury issues was emphasize a winter shut-down period where they did other sports like basketball or winter track.

My youngest dd still has her senior year of HS left and committed to a university that isn't highly regarded for softball in general and pitching in particular but if she suffers an injury at this point or beyond she'll at least be at the college she always wanted to go to. I know you've been banging the drum on this ever since Sam so I just wanted to say I heard it way back then and thanks.

Thank you, Dusty, If my post helped even one kid, it was well worth the shit I took for daring to post it.....congratulations on your DDs" successes.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Thank you Sam. I know you took a lot of shit for your posts on the subject but I'm sure it was nothing compared to what you went through with your dd. I hope things work out for the best for her.
dusty

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions