Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Gold policy is official

What's on your mind?

by movinup » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:52 am

Just opened my email this morning and saw that the gold proposal is now official for 2009. Teams that qualified for gold nationals last summer are already classified as gold and do not have to play in the classification tournaments. The limit for the number of socal gold teams is 54 in 2009 and 50 in future years. Classification tournaments are being held on 1/16/09 - 1/18-09 and 2/13/09 - 2/15/09. Cost is $350 per tournament. No rain policy was published. This will all be published in the new yellow book.
movinup

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 am

You beat me too it. I was going to post too. :D
Sftbll4ever

by Old Darter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 am

But each Association has their own tournaments and awards Gold status for teams registered with their own association, right? My understanding is that Sac Metro will name seven Gold teams based on several criteria, and if at the end of that process seven teams have not been identified, there will be a Metro tournament to fill the remaining spots. But teams MUST reside within the metro.
Old Darter

by Sam » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:53 am

A sad day for a lot of young ladies who won't be allowed the opportunity to perform in front of the same audience of college coaches and for the young ladies who will ride the benches of "Gold" teams in lieu of playing every inning for "18A" teams.

Good news for the teams that were going to qualify every year for Gold Nationals, though. The fix is in...it is now officially a self-fulfilling prophecy and the top teams won't have to worry about playing extra games at the Gold qualifier. I hope they are proud....and I hope that SoCal ASA, a willing participant in this debacle, is proud. Hopefully this rule will be like all their other rules...made to be broken....with the teams breaking the rules being rewarded by SoCal ASA. The association that has told me over and over that they will err on the side of providing the girls opportunities has done the exact opposite and is effectively ruining the chances of hundreds of young ladies to obtain college scholarships each year. Losers.

And still we wait for an explanation from SOMEONE.....ANYONE....regarding how this change helps a single player.....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:36 am

movinup wrote:Just opened my email this morning and saw that the gold proposal is now official for 2009. Teams that qualified for gold nationals last summer are already classified as gold and do not have to play in the classification tournaments. The limit for the number of socal gold teams is 54 in 2009 and 50 in future years. Classification tournaments are being held on 1/16/09 - 1/18-09 and 2/13/09 - 2/15/09. Cost is $350 per tournament. No rain policy was published. This will all be published in the new yellow book.

Can you explain the way the Classification Tourneys work?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Intel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:55 am

What happens to a "Gold" team that does not qualify in either of the classification tournaments? Do they get to reclassify to 18A and play in the 18A State tournament or are they done in championship play?

If they are done in championship play, will this make more coaches think about registering 18A then trying to qualify in the classification tournaments?

Last question, are your rosters redlined for the classification tournament?
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by movinup » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:13 pm

There are a number of rules that pertain to the classification tournaments. I will try to explain them as briefly as possible.

1. You roster is not redlined. Each team will have to submit a roster prior to the tournament. However if your team is one of the 40 teams that does well enough to be classified as gold your official ASA roster will have to have at least 8 players that were on your roster you submitted prior to the qualification tournament. Otherwise, you lose the classification spot.

2. The 14 teams that are exempt from these tournaments also have to submit rosters to socal ASA in January. They also have to have 8 of these players on their official rosters in the summer. Any player listed on this roster cannot participate in the classification tournament. The purpose of this is to prevent these exempt teams from loaning their players to their buddies to help them!

3. All teams that do not earn a gold classification in these tournaments will have the opportunity to register as an 18A or 16A team (if age eligible) after the tournaments are completed. The stated goal of socal ASA is to build up the 18A division.

4. All coaches must be background checked for 2009 and all players must be registered prior to the tournament. No onsite registration will be available.

This will certainly change the way coaches adjust their rosters in January. It will also likely require that teams do some sort of activities during the holidays when most of us have shut down for 3 + weeks.
movinup

by Fasterpitch » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I have not been following this as close as I should have been, but is this a California rule of a nation wide ASA rule.
Fasterpitch

by Old Darter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:41 pm

This is Region 14 only. And to be clear the above guidelines are for SoCal ASA only. Each Region 14 association will have their own guidelines, which may be different.
Old Darter

by Sam » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Old Darter wrote:This is Region 14 only. And to be clear the above guidelines are for SoCal ASA only. Each Region 14 association will have their own guidelines, which may be different.

The other Metro/Association Guidelines are as follow:

Sacramento - Coin Flips
Greater San Joaquin - Rock, Paper, Scissors
Oakland - Spin the Bottle
San Fransisco - Duck, Duck, Goose
Central Cal - Straws
Northern Cal - Smokeout...last 5 managers concious
Nevada - Wheel of Fortune
Hawaii - Everybody qualifies...no worries...no problems
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize