Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is this too much pitching during the week for a 12-year old?

What's on your mind?

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 am

superfan wrote:Always Improve...are you serious that your daughter throws 200 pitches 3-4 times a week just during practice? That's equivalent to pitching about 8 games every week. WOW she must be a super stud bionic pitcher!!!

Actually less than 200. Some practices less than 50 pitches. Like you said. We found quality over quantity. We just like to pitch more times a week, with shorter workouts. We usually get a day between workouts.

Yes, in the off season 3 times a week is not too much. Any games, any batting practices, reduces pitching practice. I know pitchers around here that throw 4+ times a week and more than an 1:15 per workout.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by pvsportsfan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:42 am

Thanks all for your input.

Doing some research, here's something I found: http://www.softballexcellence.com/Page. ... n_art_0024

In the article, Cindy Bristow (college softball coach, President of Natl Softball Coaches Assn) advises max of 400 pitches per week for 8 - 12 years old, max of 700 pitches per week. These include practice and games.
pvsportsfan

by DonnieS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 am

Remember every kid is different so the max numbers only apply to the average - not to your kid. Make sure your kid is honest with you - make sure you ice (the 25 minutes min after the last game of the day or after long intense practices - like one of those hour longs I hear about) - use common sense.

That being said, I think the one of the secrets - is competitive swimming. We started our kids in competitive swimming when they were around 5-6 , mostly because we were moving back to the coast after a lot of years in the mountains, not because of any great foresight, but because we wanted them to be able to swim out of trouble. Maybe it made a difference - maybe it didnt, but my girls bodies are usually on the more athletic looking side than some. They complain about having shoulders like boys - but the truth is they have shoulders like athletes and I think that was the swimming.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 am

DonnieS wrote:Remember every kid is different so the max numbers only apply to the average - not to your kid. Make sure your kid is honest with you - make sure you ice (the 25 minutes min after the last game of the day or after long intense practices - like one of those hour longs I hear about) - use common sense.

That being said, I think the one of the secrets - is competitive swimming. We started our kids in competitive swimming when they were around 5-6 , mostly because we were moving back to the coast after a lot of years in the mountains, not because of any great foresight, but because we wanted them to be able to swim out of trouble. Maybe it made a difference - maybe it didnt, but my girls bodies are usually on the more athletic looking side than some. They complain about having shoulders like boys - but the truth is they have shoulders like athletes and I think that was the swimming.

Thats an interesting observation. We did the same thing with DD #1. She did well swimming competitively, but hated it. Said it was boring and said the exact same thing about her shoulders. She quit swimming a few years ago, but this semester has been swimming 3x a week in PE (or whatever they call it now). Just the swimming has toned her quite a bit, from legs to core to arms and shoulders. Her overhand throws have become much stronger as well and she rarely has any soreness after pitching.
ontheblack

by Sam » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm

pvsportsfan wrote:Thanks all for your input.

Doing some research, here's something I found: http://www.softballexcellence.com/Page. ... n_art_0024

In the article, Cindy Bristow (college softball coach, President of Natl Softball Coaches Assn) advises max of 400 pitches per week for 8 - 12 years old, max of 700 pitches per week. These include practice and games.

Would you have your son throw that much? You shouldn't have your daughter throw one more pitch during a week than you would have your son throw.

People on here will tell you..."oh, it depends on the kid"....the problem with that particular approach is that you will only find out too late if it is too much. Your kid is injured, has to go under the knife...because her parent didn't protect her.

12 Year Old
One 30 minute pitching lesson per week - 50-60 pitches
One Practice 50-60 pitches
No more than 100 game pitches per weekend.
Play from January to August; off from September through December until she is 16.

Thats my recommendation. 700 pitches per week is insane.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Sam wrote:
12 Year Old
One 30 minute pitching lesson per week - 50-60 pitches
One Practice 50-60 pitches
No more than 100 game pitches per weekend.
Play from January to August; off from September through December until she is 16.

Thats my recommendation. 700 pitches per week is insane.

No lie. If my kid threw 700 pitches, it would take me a week to find them all! :lol: :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

The reason I believe more workouts with fewer pitches per week is there was a study done of MLB batting practice pitchers. They found that on average batting practice pitchers could pitch for many years injury free. The study attributed what game pitchers were seeing to the stress put on the body when a pitcher goes all out, then has complete rest for 5 days. They recommended that
pitchers do light stretching/warm-up workouts on rest days.

Here is an article on what he Texas Rangers did with their program to reduce injuries.
http://jonahkeri.com/2010/09/13/pitching-injuries-and-rangers/ Like they discuss in the article, we would get loose and stay loose. Would sometimes do pitching workouts after another workout.

Like DonnieS, I think a big part of staying injury free was having a cross training program. We did plyometrics, light weights, running/speed training. You should spend more time on cross training than you do on actual pitching.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Sam wrote:People on here will tell you..."oh, it depends on the kid"....the problem with that particular approach is that you will only find out too late if it is too much.

Difference being listening to your kid - explaining to them , that pain, or tightness anywhere is a bad sign and one where you tell your coaches immediately. And again, icing after the last game of a day, or after an extended practice.

My kid came home from high school practice - went to the freezer - pulled out the shoulder ice wrap - when I talked to her about what was going on - she said , 'Dad, he told me I had to throw 300 pitches a day. I did it today - and thats it. No more - I told the coach - forget it'. Teach your kid common sense - knowing when to say when. If you dont, sore shoulders wont be your biggest problem anyway.

I know plenty of people who have converted from the "You got to throw an hour a day - every day - and you should be able to throw all weekend - if not, its because you arent in good enough shape" to being religious about some arbitrary number of pitches per day maximum.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Donnie,

I think the problem is that we drill toughness into these kids at an early age. In particular, I told my kid to tell me when she even felt a twinge of pain.....the problem was that she wouldn't say crap if her mouth was full of it. Refused to tell me she was hurting, until it was too late.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Sam wrote:Hi Donnie,

I think the problem is that we drill toughness into these kids at an early age. In particular, I told my kid to tell me when she even felt a twinge of pain.....the problem was that she wouldn't say crap if her mouth was full of it. Refused to tell me she was hurting, until it was too late.

Sam, the youngest is made of nails - she will play until blood is coming out her eyes. But I have read these articles and reports to her over the years over and over - and she knows what the consequences could be. One of my favorite athletes of all times - pitched at a local school - she followed the 'rules' about caring for herself but her junior year - she did the 4 month volleyball thing - then when it ended, her dad got her into a major sb tournament, hadnt pitched during that 4 months - she felt pain, but was pushed to 'tough it out' and ruined her shoulder. One of your articles where you describe having to brush your kids hair may have gotten to her.

She also played 5 years of football and I think that helped her to toughen herself plus she also learned early when it was time to see the trainer.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions