Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

No USC team?

What's on your mind?

by 36sdad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Does anyone know why USC does not have a womens fastpitch team? Why would a school in the hotbed of southern california softball just give up championships to other pac-10 schools? We all know that championships mean money$$$$, why would'nt USC want field a team? Any thoughts?
36sdad

by Martin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:44 pm

The excuse given is that the downtown campus has no land to accomodate a softball field.
Martin

by DHBHitting » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 pm

And that excuse always blows me away seeing that when I was down there they have 3 or 4 full size football practice fields on the campus.
DHBHitting

by almosthuman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Why are you blown away that the #1 revenue sport at one of the top ten football schools in NCAA history has 3 or 4 football fields?
almosthuman

by DunninLA » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm

That's a good point about the football fields.

I wonder how hard it is to have removable artificial turf over red clay infield on a football practice field? Problem is no sport anymore is "Fall" or "Spring". There is Spring football practice, and there is Fall softball conditioning and I think 8 games. So they would still bump into each other.
DunninLA

by Hedgehog » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:08 pm

The USC Board of Directors voted several years ago to add Womens Soccer instead of softball as a result of the Title IX Rulings.
Land was acquired north of USC on 30th St. and that is where they placed the USC Soccer field. The SC womens soccer team won the national title last last year for the first time.
Land and money are an issue with the private university. There is still a push however to add the team but the athletic department so far has not budged.
Just think how many titles they may have had if they added softball......
Hedgehog

by Demonboy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:09 pm

36sdad wrote:Does anyone know why USC does not have a womens fastpitch team? Why would a school in the hotbed of southern california softball just give up championships to other pac-10 schools? We all know that championships mean money$$$$, why would'nt USC want field a team? Any thoughts?

The reason is they're already in compliance with Title IX. Softball championships don't mean $$$$. At best it could mean your softball program loses less money than others. In So Cal, championships don't even help much as evidenced by the sad attendance figures for softball in Westwood. If you want to see a packed house, go to Tucson or Ann Arbor
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Ms Soft Balla » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 pm

In 1990, the top 18G coach tried to start a program and utilize many of his National Championship players on a USC roster.

He was turned down.

We never understood that because they would have started with a top team immediately. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ms Soft Balla

by Skarp » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Demonboy wrote:If you want to see a packed house, go to Tucson or Ann Arbor

They do love their sports at Michigan. At every home football game they will at some point announce the attendance, inevitably followed by "the largest crowd watching a football game in the the country today."
The Big House.jpg
The Big House.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:41 pm

This has been discussed elsewhere:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post ... ke+garrett

If the link doesn't work, just search Mike Garrett on the Ultimate College Softball Forum:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/robocoach
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions