Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Expected pitching Speeds by age group

What's on your mind?

by dittoz » Fri May 23, 2008 12:29 pm

I have a 2nd-year 12 on our team and she throws consistent 55mph. She is CLEARLY the fastest we see in our area. We were in Fresno and I only was around to see a couple of 12's (Corona has one I think?) that throws harder. Not saying there aren't more, just didn't see 'em.

Now knowing she is mid 50's on a couple of different guns that various coaches and parents put on her, I chuckle when I see the girl on a team that her coach tells us can throw 60. Looms more like she's at 51-52... tops!

Now that being said, we had a 10u a couple years ago that was actually 9 and she was throwing 55, but with the smaller ball at 35', I don't count that the same. Still, she was really fun to watch! She's a 2nd yr 12u and throws about the same speed, just better movement now.
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:45 pm

I believe most speed quotes are inflated. It's amazing how many people can judge speed just by looking. Or, perhaps I should have said, mis-judge speed. As noted by others, throwing a fast pitch once doesn't mean much, including whether the radar gun was accurate 100% of the time. Throw 10 fastballs and take the average, measured on an accurate radar gun used correctly.

It's amazing to hear all the stories about 14U and 16U girls chucking 66-69MPH, usually noted as "heard it from a friend who met someone who was talking a week ago to another person about this girl who someone said was throwing HARD..." . Sounds like Abbott should be worried about losing her place on the USA team.

I might some of the stories if it came from a very experienced blue who has seen reality over the years.

Speed is nice. Hitting spots is better. It is not too uncommon to see a erratic but fast pitcher throw 3 balls and the slow waaaaaay down to actually throw a strike.

Regardless, enjoy your day in good health !

Wishing you well....
fasterpitch92701

by artomatic » Fri May 23, 2008 1:08 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Claims of speeds that a kid is throwing, and the actual speed that kid throws is like the gross amount and net amount after taxes on a payroll check...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hotwheels » Fri May 23, 2008 1:22 pm

How true!!

8-)
hotwheels

by Cannonball » Fri May 23, 2008 1:43 pm

In baseball, an old area scout always said, "Subtract 4!" In other words, he felt that if someone told him a kid was throwing 88, the kid was probably 84. I'm not sure "subtract 4" is accurate for FP but then again, it isn't that far off. JMHO! OH, my girl throws 64! :twisted:
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by Sam » Fri May 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Rumor has it that a certain 10U team in SoCal has secured the services of a kid coming out of rec ball...a pitcher, who was clocked on my Jugs Radar Gun at 59mph 12 times in a 30 pitch tryout. The young lady, a 5' 7" flamethrower named Cydnee Finch, might affect who does what at ASA Nationals.... :o
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dontknownutin » Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Sam wrote:Rumor has it that a certain 10U team in SoCal has secured the services of a kid coming out of rec ball...a pitcher, who was clocked on my Jugs Radar Gun at 59mph 12 times in a 30 pitch tryout. The young lady, a 5' 7" flamethrower named Cydnee Finch, might affect who does what at ASA Nationals.... :o

So if we subtract 4 she would be 5'3" and throw 55mph but out of a 30 pitch tryout hit 55mph 8 times? :lol:
Dontknownutin

by Tucson » Fri May 23, 2008 9:49 pm

My 10 YO niece is here from TX. She is a catcher. She told me last night that a pitcher on her team can throw 9 pitches. I said "No, she can't."

Then, she showed me 100s of pictures of her team. Oh my, awful form in pitching and hitting - and this is TB.

I had a pitching student take some swings last night. Last week she had a perfectly good 34" bat. This week she had a 31 inch bat. She's about 5'6" and 110. Then, she choked up 2 inches. I asked what was going on. It seems that the batting coach for the TB team made her get a 31" bat and told her to choke up.

Evidently, the girl isn't hitting too well, so this "batting coach thought the solution was a little bitty bat. :roll:
Tucson

by Skarp » Fri May 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Tucson wrote:I had a pitching student take some swings last night. Last week she had a perfectly good 34" bat. This week she had a 31 inch bat. She's about 5'6" and 110. Then, she choked up 2 inches. I asked what was going on. It seems that the batting coach for the TB team made her get a 31" bat and told her to choke up.

Evidently, the girl isn't hitting too well, so this "batting coach thought the solution was a little bitty bat. :roll:

It's not surprising she isn't hitting well...34" is way too big for a kid that size.

32"...or 33" at the very outside.

http://www.andersonbat.com/training/how ... -a-bat.php

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 1_17617572
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions