Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Expected pitching Speeds by age group

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Thu May 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Spazsdad wrote:I know NFCA proposed and approved the recommendation but as far as ASA is concerned it only passed for 18A

My bad.....18A was passed...16U was considered....and 16U will pass when NFCA backs it up to 43'.....sorry.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sorebucketbutt » Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 pm

When you are talking pitching speed, I think you have to look at average. You also have to look at the radar guns and angles of where they are getting the readings. In trying to maintain a reading you want to be directly behind the catcher and as level as to the point of release. Radar guns pick up motion so often you may catch an accidental reading from her hand following through or even the catcher moving her hand. I have used several different radar guns (at work and in coaching) and you will often find there is a 1-3 mph difference. you will also see this with MLB pitchers. The next time you see your favorite pitcher watch his speed on the home radar and then see the difference at a visiting ballpark. Additionally, when is the last time the radar was calibrated? A police radar will have a tuning fork to ensure that the unit is calibrated. I guess the most important radar comes down to the recruiter watching your daughter.

I agree with most of the posters here consistancy and ball movement is the most important factor (IMHO).
sorebucketbutt

by jofus » Thu May 22, 2008 6:58 pm

soreshins wrote:Second year 10u: good pitchers are throwing 50+ mph; "average" velocity is less.

I'm not in california or anything like that, but I've never seen a 10U pitcher close to 50+. Maybe 45, but I wouldn't bet on that.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Tucson » Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Here the 8s are averaging 35, some 10s are low 40s. By the time they are 12, they say they are throwing 55. They aren't even cracking 50, if truth was told.
Tucson

by 3'sDad » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

DD is 10 and a 1st year pitcher , playing 12 U.....from 40' with a 12" ball she is low to mid-40's, which is consistant for her age and size (so I'm told by the pitching coach).....if she were playing 10U, pitching from 35' with an 11" ball, that speed goes up slightly....
3'sDad

by sftballjnkie » Fri May 23, 2008 7:27 am

My DD is second yr 10U and average speed in a game is consistantly 47-48. She hits 50 at times but not consistantly. We have another pitcher that averages 50-51 consistantly and another that is 48-49 consistantly. She has pitched with 12" ball from 40' practicing lately and is at about 45-46 consistantly. Coach says she'll get back up to speed real quick with a little more practice.
We've had parents come to try out saying their DD throws 50+ and when put to the gun, avg about 43 or so. I'm more realistic about my DD's speed because I know (and she knows) that it's not all about speed anyway.
sftballjnkie

by 3Bsnag » Fri May 23, 2008 7:34 am

I know NFCA proposed and approved the recommendation but as far as ASA is concerned it only passed for 18A

I gots to ax 2 querstions:

I understand NFCA and ASA are different entities, but why would the travel ball coaches at a NFCA convention vote to change pitching distances for 16-18G when it really doesn't matter until ASA says so?

I also understand (I think) the advantages of being classified as an 18A team vs 18G and have heard the comments about how moving 16 & 18A to 43' may improve attendance and exposure to colleges. With the statements of early verbals (16A) and college coaches wanting to see their prospects playing the best in the country (18G), is the 18A classification really going to get better attendance?
3Bsnag

by Dreamseam » Fri May 23, 2008 7:43 am

As I sit here watching a rerun of the Alabama-JAcksonville tournament final game I see that neither of their pitchers hit over 60mph according to the ESPN speeds posted.

It seems to me that most college level pitchers throw somewhere between 58-63 mph with a handful of power pitchers that are above 65 mph.

I've seen many college games and only an elite few throw consistently above 65 mph so when hear that second year 10U's "should be" throwing in the low 50's I have to laugh.

One of the reason I love to watch the televised college games, most have the speeds on the screen and you can get a more realistic view of actual college level pitching speeds.
Dreamseam

by wadeintothem » Fri May 23, 2008 7:45 am

soreshins wrote:First year 10u: any speed consistantly in the strike zone.

Second year 10u: good pitchers are throwing 50+ mph; "average" velocity is less.

First year 12U: low 50s.

Second year 12u: Mid 50s; good pitchers will be in the high 50s and hitting the low 60s by nationals.

First year 14U: Mid 50s to low 60s.

Second year 14U: most are in the high 50s or low 60s.

Way too high. WAY too high.

Way way too high.

These are "in your dreams" speeds.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by hotwheels » Fri May 23, 2008 7:58 am

I have been in the 14U division here in So. Cal. for just under 3 years now and can you guess how often we run into a pitcher that is REALLY AND TRULY hitting 60+ on the gun????? Not many, I have 3 pitchers on my team and 2 of them are HARD throwers in my opinion and they can hit 57 or 58 CONSISTENTLY. There is the key word, consistently. Just because you can muster it up for 1 or 2 times that doesn't mean you THROW 60+. Don't get me wrong, those girls are out there but you don't see them every weekend that's for sure. There are a fair share of them here in So. Cal. but that is the exception not the rule. By the way, both of my PITCHERS PARENTS have told me that their daughters throw 60 and I've heard them tell other people this, I just smile..... :D
hotwheels

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions