Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

ESPN SUN CLASSIC - Nov. 4-7 - Orlando Florida

What's on your mind?

by jmo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Daddylawman wrote:
socalgold47 wrote:GO SOCAL !!!!!

Ok - I'll bite..go Georgia, let's send then back cross country with their avocado loving tails between their legs.

:lol: :lol:

Go Georgia??? Definitely the EC Bullets are not the same team without Spingola :(

tds wrote: "Wish they had better explained the ESPN3 better or I would have flown down to watch the game! Thought I would be seeing my daughter on "tv".......lame"

Not really lame especially since you should have realized that there is not nor has there ever been an ESPN3 on any Cable/Direct/Dish network TV. ;)

Some scores from some of the games I watched:
Batbusters 3 - Team Long Island 3
Batbusters 2 - Tennessee Fury 4
Batbusters 8 - Tulsa Eagles 1
Batbusters 1 - Miami Stingrays 2 (10 innings)
Batbusters 1 - Team North Florida 3
Cal Cruisers 1 - NJ Intensity KOD 0
Cal Cruisers 8 - Lake Breeze 4
Cal Cruisers 6 - Beverly Bandits 9
Cal Cruisers 2 - Atlanta Vipers Dean 1
So Cal Athletics 4 - Team North Florida 3
So Cal Athletics 8 - East Cobb Bullets 5
So Cal Athletics 11 - Tennessee Fury 1
NJ Intensity KOD 8 - Team North Florida 2
Explosion 4 - New Lenox Lightning 2
Explosion 6 - East Cobb Bullets 1
Explosion 0 - NJ Inferno 5
Explosion 0 - NJ Intensity KOD 0
NJ Inferno 1 - East Cobb Bullets 0
NJ Inferno 4 - Teamsmith 1

Great turnout of college coaches. Over 200 signed in. Anywhere from 20-30 at every game :D

Nice job by Jim Barsalona and Kevin O'Donnell.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 pm

wow 200 colleges that has to be the most out of any showcase in the country.

How many from Pac 10?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by 1prouddad » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:38 pm

I just watched the OC Batbusters vs. Miami Stingrays and all I can say is WOW! What an incredible game for both pitchers, but IMO, the MVP goes to the losing pitcher, Nancy Bowling. She pitched a No-Hitter through 7 1/3 innings and finished up with 20 K's..... Amazing!
That being said, Haley Wilson put on one heck of a performance in the circle for the Stingrays. I think BB's hit the ball hard, but still ended up on the short end of the stick because of some great defensive plays by the Stingrays.
Watch the replay on ESPN3.com (while it's still there!) You won't be sorry!!!
1prouddad

by jmo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:09 am

NumeroUno wrote:wow 200 colleges that has to be the most out of any showcase in the country.

How many from Pac 10?

Dominated by east coast schools. Washington was there. That was it from the Pac 10. And of course the 20-30 were at the main 6 softball fields. Not sure of the fields away from the main complex.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by joemcq51 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 am

Took my DD to watch some games on Friday. She had a blast counting how many different colleges were represented. We saw representatives from just about every SEC and ACC school. It was neat to watch her interact in the stands. At one point she was sitting next to the Weekly's from Tennessee. I look over and she is having a conversation with them. The smile on her face was priceless. We saw some really good teams play. Batbusters look solid through entire lineup. Team North Florida is still representing well. EC Bullets have a lot of talent. Tulsa Eagles were solid as well. Should be a great year. We did notice most coaches were at the main complex. Went over to the other side (converted baseball fields), and there were only a few colleges. Probably looking at a few specific players they were in contact with. The main 6 fields were packed and looked well maintained. Curious to hear from some others who were there. How did it stack up against other exposure tournaments?
joemcq51

by JimmyL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 am

joemcq51 wrote:Took my DD to watch some games on Friday. She had a blast counting how many different colleges were represented. We saw representatives from just about every SEC and ACC school. It was neat to watch her interact in the stands. At one point she was sitting next to the Weekly's from Tennessee. I look over and she is having a conversation with them. The smile on her face was priceless. We saw some really good teams play. Batbusters look solid through entire lineup. Team North Florida is still representing well. EC Bullets have a lot of talent. Tulsa Eagles were solid as well. Should be a great year. We did notice most coaches were at the main complex. Went over to the other side (converted baseball fields), and there were only a few colleges. Probably looking at a few specific players they were in contact with. The main 6 fields were packed and looked well maintained. Curious to hear from some others who were there. How did it stack up against other exposure tournaments?

It was the best attended event of the Fall. But, as JMO mentioned, not a big outpouring of coaches from the West. Great competition, great fields etc....

Can't wait for the convaluted game notes to appear on Spy. It is always entertaining to read his jibber-ish about his choice "pets". He writes about the same handful of players all the time. Builds up their ordinary days and buries their bad ones.

Ahhh the power of the press. :o
JimmyL

by Daddylawman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 am

Consider it bitten :lol:

Congrats!.

tds wrote:Bite my peach! So Cal wins 8-5! :lol:
Daddylawman wrote:
socalgold47 wrote:GO SOCAL !!!!!

Ok - I'll bite..go Georgia, let's send then back cross country with their avocado loving tails between their legs.

:lol: :lol:
Daddylawman

by jmo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Here are some of the records for several of the top teams at the Sun Classic:
(Keep in mind this was a showcase)

So Cal Athletics: 7-0
NJ Inferno: 6-0
Explosion: 5-1-1
Beverly Bandits: 3-1-1
Teamsmith: 4-2-1
Cal Cruisers: 4-3
Team North Florida: 3-2
NJ Intensity: 3-3-1
Batbusters: 2-4-1
East Cobb Bullets: 2-5
Tulsa Eagles: 1-4

I was impressed by several teams. The So Cal Athletics played very well and are an excellent hitting team and are still the team to beat as the defending National Champions (Premier that is). Beverly Bandits and Team North Florida are also very good this year. Batbusters will be there when it counts. They are loaded with young talent although they didn't hit as well as they can in Florida. East Cobb Bullets are not the same team without Spingola and seemed to struggle all weekend. And we all need to remember that this is the fall season. Many teams will have a different look come summertime. :mrgreen:

Please remember that this was a showcase and many teams did not play their top lineup. Of course, there were several teams that felt this was a national championship and coached and played it as such. For example, there was a coach who went to the umpire because a team batted 11 players and had the "11th" girl called out when she reached 1B (he was winning 4-0 at the time). The rules called for only 10 batters but no one cared except this one coach because he was just playing to win. What a knucklehead :roll: :ugeek:
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 pm

JMO thanks for all the updates once again u did a geat job. the bucket loves ya :)
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by bruinfans » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:13 pm

jmo wrote:Here are some of the records for several of the top teams at the Sun Classic:
(Keep in mind this was a showcase)

So Cal Athletics: 7-0
NJ Inferno: 6-0
Explosion: 5-1-1
Beverly Bandits: 3-1-1
Teamsmith: 4-2-1
Cal Cruisers: 4-3
Team North Florida: 3-2
NJ Intensity: 3-3-1
Batbusters: 2-4-1
East Cobb Bullets: 2-5
Tulsa Eagles: 1-4

I was impressed by several teams. The So Cal Athletics played very well and are an excellent hitting team and are still the team to beat as the defending National Champions (Premier that is). Beverly Bandits and Team North Florida are also very good this year. Batbusters will be there when it counts. They are loaded with young talent although they didn't hit as well as they can in Florida. East Cobb Bullets are not the same team without Spingola and seemed to struggle all weekend. And we all need to remember that this is the fall season. Many teams will have a different look come summertime. :mrgreen:

Please remember that this was a showcase and many teams did not play their top lineup. Of course, there were several teams that felt this was a national championship and coached and played it as such. For example, there was a coach who went to the umpire because a team batted 11 players and had the "11th" girl called out when she reached 1B (he was winning 4-0 at the time). The rules called for only 10 batters but no one cared except this one coach because he was just playing to win. What a knucklehead :roll: :ugeek:

That answers a question we had. We're new to the showcase format, and were under the impression that these were primarily for unsigned players. I thought Nancy Bowling had committed to Arizona, so was curious as to why she would be playing. Is it commonplace to have signed/committed players at showcases? Just wondering what to expect.
"Sports do not build character, they reveal it" John Wooden[/i]
bruinfans

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions