Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

calling pitches?

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:28 pm

>> I didn't think of that while poting, <<

??? I usually think of lots of things ....
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 2bucketdad » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 pm

DonnieS wrote:>> I didn't think of that while poting, <<

??? I usually think of lots of things ....

Sorry "po S ting"...lol
2bucketdad

by TulsaEliteGold » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:36 pm

I have a question while on the subject of pitch calling. How many College Catchers call pitches?

Just curious as I have witnessed teams, at every level of the game from 16U to Division 1, that do it both ways from Division One's like Virginia Tech and Washington that have Catchers who call the games to other top programs like OU who's coach calls all the pitches. It does seem like the majority of schools, I have watched, a Coach calls the games.

I agree every catcher should learn to call the game, it just makes them have a better understanding of the game.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as someone knows what they are doing. We have one catcher who really enjoys calling her own games and is good at it, so we let her most of the time; then we have another girl who doesn't have as much pitch calling experience and would prefer we call the games.

One thing is for sure, there is no part of the game more fun then calling the game once you know what you are doing.
Jeff Filali
Asst Softball Coach
Butler Comm College - 25+ D1 Signees since '11
www.butlergrizzlies.com

Founder/GM/Coach
Tulsa Elite Softball - 130+ College Commits since '08
www.tulsaelite.org

eM: jeff@TulsaElite.org
Ph: 918-951-7142
TulsaEliteGold

by Sam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 am

TulsaEliteGold wrote:I have a question while on the subject of pitch calling. How many College Catchers call pitches?

Just curious as I have witnessed teams, at every level of the game from 16U to Division 1, that do it both ways from Division One's like Virginia Tech and Washington that have Catchers who call the games to other top programs like OU who's coach calls all the pitches. It does seem like the majority of schools, I have watched, a Coach calls the games.

I agree every catcher should learn to call the game, it just makes them have a better understanding of the game.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as someone knows what they are doing. We have one catcher who really enjoys calling her own games and is good at it, so we let her most of the time; then we have another girl who doesn't have as much pitch calling experience and would prefer we call the games.

One thing is for sure, there is no part of the game more fun then calling the game once you know what you are doing.

Hi Jeff,

I think Gold coaches should let the catchers call games...if for no other reason...to prepare them to go to a college that has their catchers call the games...I don't think their college coach would want them to be learning on the job at the college level...and a college coach seeing a kid call a good game might target that kid for recruitment or at least give that kid an edge over a catcher who doesn't call their own pitches.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions