Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Shaved Bats, how do you know?

What's on your mind?

by texdocbay » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

I think any bat that breaks in competition should be confiscated and turned over to the TD for inspection and testing.
texdocbay

by sho nuff » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm

I was told by a sporting goods dealer that a "rolled" bat is not illegal? Was I misinformed? Was told that "shaving" was, but "rolled" was not?
sho nuff

by Tucson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Yes, you were misinformed.
Tucson

by sho nuff » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
sho nuff

by broadband » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Tucson wrote:I guess the machine is $800 + $500 for the stickers that go on the bat.

Stickers huh? Thats the 1st tell tail sign the bat is illegal. Even if the bat wasn't rolled/shaved, stickers on the bat make the bat a altered bat, and illegal for use. ASA Speaking. Thats a fairly easy one. :D
NCAA Softball Official
broadband

by Informal » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Reading these stories seriously makes me never want to buy a used bat for my kid again.

Would be just my luck to get one, that some idiot shaved for his kid.
Informal

by Trashman67 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Shaved bats sound different. Look at the end cap. You may see a pry mark in the composite or the plastic cap. Yes you can tell!! Some done way better than others, hard to tell, look close.

I play slowpitch Mens C/D It is a huge problem. My good friend got drilled by a liner back up the box. Hit in temple, many surgeries, and a life flight right off the field.

All done, so some jack a$$ can hit a softball 300+ feet and win a t-shirt!! My Hero!!

All fastpitch leagues, travel, college, and etc. should use a softer softball, It has worked in slowpitch to some extent. Then it will matter a lot less how good the bat is. Kinda like Wood bats from the old school days. Mike Candrea has come out against composite bats. He thinks we should ban them. I agree!!
There is never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it again!!
Trashman67

by seniorsbfart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Mike said that banning composite bats is something the NCAA should think about. However I know MC and the program at UA and they want performance. The long ball puts butts in the seats. Go to a softer ball or take the composite bats away and watch the game go back to the 70's. Sure the die hards will like it but TV views will fall and so will interest in the game itself.

Many of those that want alloy bats have a $take in the alloy business, like Michele Smith and her views during the WCWS. What a joke....

The college game is moving forward and it some are worried then just get out of the way. It's about time the game we love starts to get viewed. This will lead to a pro league non-softball fans will want to watch.
seniorsbfart

by irishfanrock34 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:59 pm

shaving a kids bat is absolutely nuts. rolling is a huge argument around here because technically rolling a bat is just speading up the break in process. if you think about it the same people that say a girl shouldnt be allowed to swing a rolled bat should take that broken in phenix or old stealth out of there daughters hands once that thing has 700 hits on it and is pure fire but they wont. so if your talking a safety issue its really no diff. now obviously the more bp a kid gets to break in her bat the better her swing will be.
irishfanrock34

by seniorsbfart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Our Irish friend is correct. Rolling a composite bat is not altering bat in the least. It only speeds up the break in process and on the new standard ASA it really will not affect the bat at all.
seniorsbfart

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions