Fastpitch Discussions

Watching college games

What's on your mind?

by sundevilfan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Do you watch college games ?
Attend games in your area ?
To watch someone you know ?
Just to watch ?

College softball is expanding fast and I wanted to see if members on this board followed the college game.
sundevilfan

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:20 pm

I watch every college softball game I can catch. I also watch every college baseball or MLB game I can catch. I love softball and baseball. I do watch umpires more than most people probably do, as opposed to just watching the game.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DonnieS » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:57 pm

>> College softball is expanding fast and I wanted to see if members on this board followed the college game. <<

I think that is so important - we got to go see A&M play University of Missouri this weekend - we hope to take the whole group up to see A&M play Oklahoma on the 13th. Watching the kids hustle - the whole atmosphere is awesome. The Missouri kids took it to the Aggies at the front of the game - first 5 pitches, pitch one - slap single, pitch two - deep double, scores 0-1, next two pitches are looked at strikes, 3rd pitch - home run, 5 pitches - score is 0-3. Then the Aggies battled back, home run day at college station.

Having our girls get to see kids like those play is so fun - talk about pumping up your kids. Plus I tape every game of the CWS and I play them on boring days (i.e. basketball season, etc.). A&M has the web video working and at worst, you get to hear the audio along with the game tracker.

One of the things I go to see is the warm-up that these teams do before a game, I am watching them do their pitching warmup, and I take notes on that kind of stuff, enough throwing, pitching, etc. to get warm, not so much as to grind the pitcher down, good to see.
Then the girls, while waiting for the Mizzou kids to finish on the field, are juggling, playing hacky sack, trying to sink baskets using softballs from the field all the way to the ball bucket.
They are having fun.

We also have A&M CC here - we are lucky no doubt, I am going to get to their games as much as possible.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tai2000 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:55 pm

I cannot tell you how lucky we are to have such a great coach in Clint Myers at ASU. We try to make every game we can, plus watch anything on TV (not too much available right now)
Coach Myers not only has turned our program around at AZ state, but he is SO community oriented! We did not even have a booster club before he got here. The girls on the team are so friendly and helpful, my DD looks up to those girls like rock stars. At the camps they hold the girls (and Coach Myers) take time with everyone, answer questions, and all around set a good example. My daughter at 10 years old came to me and said she wants to play SunDevil softball more than anything in the world (lofty dreams for a 10 year old) and I could not be happier about it. (mostly becuase if she does play for ASU I can still come to watch her play 8-) )
I think these college players are instrumental in the dreams of our young girls.
Last edited by tai2000 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking at the ball going over the fence isn't going to help. -Hank Aaron
tai2000

by black&blue » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:18 pm

Yup, we took some of our 10U girls to a local D1 college game over Easter weekend. It was 30 degrees with crazy wind swirls that made every pop up fall in for a base hit. The adults were all bundled up under blankets while the girls chased foul balls like a pack of puppies.

Maybe we'll try again when the weather gets a bit warmer ;)
black&blue

by sundevilfan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:00 pm

We also enjoy ASU. Might just be the best program in the nation. Coach Myers has done such a great job. My DD loves him as a coach and person. Who knows that this might be the year they go all the way at WCWS !
sundevilfan

by FPdaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:28 pm

We go to see Tennessee play. It's a great learning experience for the young girls to watch the older girls go about their business.
FPdaddy

by dittoz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 am

Just took our entire organization over to Stanford to watch UofA and ASU play this past weekend.

It was unfortunate that only perhaps 50 people were in attendance besides our group. We brought all three teams and parents/friends so we pumped the crowd up to about 300. Next door, Stanford was playing Washington State in baseball and the crowd there was perhaps 500.

I'm amazed that with the growing popularity of softball and in a game with two top-5 teams, barely anyone comes out...
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by coolstuff » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:15 am

The local college team plays on the road during the start of the season because of the weather here (45 today) although they played their first home games this past week (in the 50s).

When the weather gets nicer and we have a free weekend we usually catch a game or two.
coolstuff

by sftballjnkie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:28 am

Raising a BIG Texas Aggie fan. Amanda Scarbrough is from our area as well as Megan Gibson and Amanda came to the HS summer camp at Magnolia HS to talk to the girls and hang out last year. I thought my kid was going to FAINT! She has her autograph on her glove and shows it to everyone. We watch every game we can get on TV (wish there were ALOT more) and go to Aggie games as often as possible.
sftballjnkie

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions